Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ChriS

Variations of monsters and other DDF stuff

Guest ChriS

How in DDF do I let there be more than one type of monster withouty replacing it (e.g a regular zombieman, and a zombieman with slightly darker clothes chosen randomly by the Doom engine, etc). Also, when I tried to use wildcards with weapon sounds (e.g shotgun, pistol, rocket launcher), EDGE crashes on me. Can someone answer these two questions?

Guest Fanatic

1) variations in monsters: copy/paste the entire monster entry, give it a new name and id #, make your changes there/

2) wildcards: what is the error? what did you use for the sound entry? (gimme an example to see what you're doing wrong)

Guest ChriS

Like I tried adding DSSHTGN2 and it didn't work :/
But can a new monster be added without messing with the ids and such?

Guest Fanatic

1) DSSHTGN2 -is this a sound you've added to a WAD file, and added to SOUNDS.DDF? What did you put in WEAPONS.DDF for the wildcard line? Check the entry in THINGS.DDF for the [HEAVY_WEAPON_DUDE:65], he uses the wildcard for sounds, compare what you have to it for a working example (it works the same in WEAPONS.DDF as well).

2) You can add a new monster by creating a new entry in THINGS.DDF, in which case you *have* to assign it a new number and name, or else it would just be modifying an existing monster.

Guest ChriS

I meant a NEW shotgun sound (DSSHTGN2, not DSDSHTGN) not the super shotgun. Also, how would the new monsters be used in the original iD levels?

Guest Fanatic

Can you please post what you are trying to do in the DDF files and wildcards? I can only guess as to what is wrong at this point.

Please post the error you are getting as well.

New monsters in original id levels -replace existing ones (change everything except the thing # and name).