Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mechasam

level space?

k im using unregistered version of waded 1.83..... i am working on map 03 of Redemption, http://arise.to/redemption ....

one small problem, it seems as though I have run out of lines?? well here ill explain it more detailed:

Ok, the map is VERY huge so far, picture a large forest and a large scenic route and a large waterfall and a large cave in one map. Now, i was calmly drawing lines like i usually do but then it all of a sudden gave me a debug code... then i couldnt draw anymore friggin lines or sectors. i tried saving it but i couldnt! (luckily i have backups of all the levels i make)... so waded is limited on how much it can draw? or is it just because its the registered version?

SOMEONE GIVE ME THE DAMN REGISTERED VERSION OF WADED, I THINK MATTHEW AYRES IS BUSY WITH QUAKE 2 STUFF ANYWAYS

Guest LRM

Use Wadauthor or deth dude. When wadauthor gives up on you, unzip the files again and you will get another thirty days on it.

I've tried waded before. It sucks.

ya but, waded is the only EASY to use LINEDEF/SIDEDEF editor, wadauthor is sector based while deep, deth, etc... are linedef based also but are more "your on your own" type editors.

Or maybe you must search on some crackz or piratez site where you can find any serial numbers like for Wad Author !
:)

Mechasam said:

ya but, waded is the only EASY to use LINEDEF/SIDEDEF editor, wadauthor is sector based while deep, deth, etc... are linedef based also but are more "your on your own" type editors.

Give Doomcad ago... it takes some getting used to. The best version is 5.1 for line manipulation, with the versions above you can drag sectors and linedefs as well as vertexes, but the problem is its so sensitive you end up dragging things all over the place.

Guest Fanatic

I agree with you there, I used DOOMCad 5.1 for most of my projects (New Breed, ROKS, QDOOM, RUINS, etc.). I only use other editors for detail stuff (like 1 pixel ling walls). DOOMCad has a very good line based drawing system, and is unlimited for size.

It's a Visual Basic based editor, so as the level gets huge, it will run slow when moving around the map or adding new sectors and linedefs. Not a real problem on a newer P2 or faster system tho.

Those annoying limits are because it's a DOS-based editor. In case you didn't know, DOS stuff uses this 640K of conventional memory to run in, and sometimes a good deal of that is taken up by stuff like mouse drivers, etc. and if you're using any version of Windows95 or later, you're doomed: the limits of the map size depend on how much of that 640K is available for use. I have the registered version of WadEd, and it takes up more space to run than unregistered, so you'll be stuck with even smaller level limits with the registered version. (Plus, the registered version has a lot more bugs than the unregistered - figure that one out.)

The best thing to do, since WadEd is about the only editor that doesn't require some type of college course or manual to figure out, is to design your map in sections and paste those sections together (and do final touches) in an editor like WadAuthor (easy to paste, but can cause weird bugs) or Deep (which, unless registered, has smaller save limits than WadEd, along with it's fair share of incapability to paste correctly [it has a habit of turning 2-sided sidedefs to 1-sided and messing up your sectors in the process].) This can take some planning: the easist way to do this is make the sections easily compatible - break them up in a small hallway or lift instead of a giant outdoor scene, that makes the pasting and intertwining 10 times easier. It can get complex depending on the size of your map (some of my maps for Millennium had 30 sections to cut+paste, imagine organizing that) but I find it's still a lot easier than using any other editors.