Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spacedog

Multiple exits to different levels?

Guest spacedog

Is it possible (in zdoom) to make a map at map33 that has 32 exits each of which leads to a different level, so that players on a multiplayer game like csDoom can choose which level to play. And if it is possible, could some kind soul supply me with the necessary code?

Guest Phobos-Dwellr

Yeah, it is do-able. Use ACS.
...not that I've done it myself or anything.
I HAVE seen it done in ACS demo wads. One good example would be... I forgot, somebody name it for me.

But in gameplay wouldn't that piss a lot of people off? I mean, you're in a lobby and nobody can agree what level to choose, so somebody breaks from the crowd and takes their own level, dragging everyone along? WTF? Why? Suddenly everyone moans, "Aaaaaaawwwwwww, not The Citadel AGAAAAAIIINNN!"
IMO, that would suck for multiplay. Use it for single play though, that could be quite interesting.

Guest spacedog
X-DOOM said:

i don't know !
i never try it!
try and you will know

well, it might suck but i also plan on installing a vote system, where you have to shoot the door a bunch of times before you can leave. y'see i'm sick of playing map01,map01 and map01 followed by map01 like some servers have

Yes, this would be quite possible, but there is one slight... no, LARGE problem.

ZDoom's hub system works by storing all levels in the current hub in your computer's memory. As you can imagine, storing 33 levels in memory would make it run very slowly indeed, especially in multiplayer.

The only way to solve this is to try to persuade to get Randy Heit (ZDoom's author) to change the hub system so level details are saved to temporary files on your hard disk instead. Or wait for the engine that comes with Mordeth E2/E3 :)

Shaviro said:

You forgot map01!!!

¦]

Man, you made me pull a Stphrz with my gatorade.

NiGHTMARE said:

Yes, this would be quite possible, but there is one slight... no, LARGE problem.

ZDoom's hub system works by storing all levels in the current hub in your computer's memory. As you can imagine, storing 33 levels in memory would make it run very slowly indeed, especially in multiplayer.

The only way to solve this is to try to persuade to get Randy Heit (ZDoom's author) to change the hub system so level details are saved to temporary files on your hard disk instead. Or wait for the engine that comes with Mordeth E2/E3 :)

I noticed a problem with the hub system. You can't move to a diffrent level, without it remembering the old stuff. The only way to hub to a diffrent level, without remembering the level again is to hub to a level, and then immidately end the level.
Problem is, the tally thing comes up. Blah.

It should be that you have TWO hub types, one that keeps the level data, and one that doesn't.

...just wanted to say that. =)

Test-0

It means he typed that while cleaning his monitor of whatever color drink he was drinking at the time? =^)

Test-0

Lüt said:

Man, you made me pull a Stphrz with my gatorade.

Well... He did!

¦]

So i was in doubt if i should do this!
Then i thought:
Maonth. Oh the hell with it. Nevermind. Carry on :|
And so you see!
I had to put that guy STRAIGHT!

Guest spacedog
Test-0 said:

I noticed a problem with the hub system. You can't move to a diffrent level, without it remembering the old stuff. The only way to hub to a diffrent level, without remembering the level again is to hub to a level, and then immidately end the level.
Problem is, the tally thing comes up. Blah.

It should be that you have TWO hub types, one that keeps the level data, and one that doesn't.

...just wanted to say that. =)

Test-0

Did you test this in multiplayer mode?/

I was looking through the zdoom tech references, and i reckon it can be done, although i don't know exactly how. Apparently zdoom can easily handle up to 50 levels off a hub

Test-0 said:

It means he typed that while cleaning his monitor of whatever color drink he was drinking at the time? =^)

Test-0

Exactly.

(Red.)