Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest prets

wintex trouble

Guest prets

i'm having some trouble adding textures to a wad. specifically, i'm trying to add a texture from gothictx to my wad, so as to avoid needing the full 900 kb or so, and can't get the tex to work (just creates hall of mirrors bug, or uses another tex i added instead)

Guest Fanatic

Custom textures are hard to copy like that. You have to copy the graphics and the lump entries that define the actual texture (check Advanced/Edit Texture in Wintex).

Guest prets

i copied BOTH the tex and the patch, if that's what u mean

Guest Fanatic

Yes, that is what I mean.

Sounds like you have a conflict somewhere, or overwrote the texture lump entry. Instead of copy/paste, try merging it, see if that gets it to work.

Guest prets

well, gothictx.wad, merged into my small map, makes a nice and "tiny" 2.5 meg file (i had already tried it), but it DOES work

Guest Fanatic

You'll have to delete the raw textures you didn't use, then go into the texture editor and cut each entry there. Might not work well tho.

The best way would be to use DEUTEX to list what textures your level actually uses, then use the -xtract on the graphics WAD, delete the patches you don't use, then edit the texture1 lump and delete the same entries, then rebuid the new clean WAD.

That what I did for some of my projects.

Guest prets

ouch
that sort of goes beyond the scope of what i had in mind for my very first zdoom wad, but i guess i do want it fully working, right?

Copy PNAMES and TEXTURE1 from doom2.WAD into your WAD. Now copy the patch for the texture from gothictx.WAD into your WAD.

Edit the texture list (double click on TEXTURE1) in both WADs, and copy the texture that matches the patch).

Now there _should_ be no problem :)

Let me see if I understand your problem correctly. You want to use only selected textures from GothixTx.wad. You have tried inserting the texture/patches plus the Texture/PNames lump into your wad, and deleting the textures/patches you don't want. This is so that you have a manageable file size without unnecessary resources. You're unable to get the desired result.

In my experience, WinTex does not consistently allow deleting of textures. Some people have managed to get it to work, and others haven't (me, for example). I don't know why this is, but there are 3 possible workarounds.

1. Use WinTex to merge the GothicTx.wad file with your own (as you've already done), then use DeePSea to delete patches and textures you don't want. Create a new file with the Texture/Pnames lump. If you're using the shareware version I believe you cannot make your changes permanent, so simply exit DeepSea. Use WinTex to load up your original file with the merged textures. Delete the patches you don't want, then insert the Texture/Pnames lump. Voila! You should have only the patches and textures you want.

2. This step requires a bit more work, and may not fit your needs. Use WinTex to copy the patches you want from GothixTx.wad into your own wad file. Find some textures in the original DooM2 IWAD that you know you'll not be needing in your maps (my favorite unwanted textures are all the Wolfenstein textures between ZDoor and Zeldoor, and between Wolf1 to Wolf13). Use the Texture Edit feature of WinTex to insert your patches into the appropriate DooM2 textures. Make sure you offset the new patches correctly.

3. Use WinTex to copy only the patches you want (not the textures) from GothixTx.wad into your own wad file. Use DeepSea to create new texture slots and insert the relevant patches. Save the Texture/Pnames lump as in Option 1, above, and follow the same steps (minus the deleting patches, which you've already taken care of).

(Btw, I've posted a reply to your merging wads in WadAuthor question.)