Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
de_zeurkous

Distribution for money?

I know this maybe not a editing question, but where else can i post it? ;)

Can i distribute my own game data (wads, lumps etc.) for money? I need cash, and if i create good modifications, i may be gettin' cash for them.

No, you're not allowed to sell your stuff. And do you really think anybody would pay for DooM stuff???

Wait a second... wasn't there something in the GPL that said you could sell your game mods as long as you state that they are freely available on the net somewhere?

boris said:

No, you're not allowed to sell your stuff. And do you really think anybody would pay for DooM stuff???

...how did the team behind hacx do then?, some special deal with id or?

Lüt said:

Wait a second... wasn't there something in the GPL that said you could sell your game mods as long as you state that they are freely available on the net somewhere?

Ooooops. I completely forgot about this GPL thingy :) But I think you've to completely build everything up, you're not allowed to use any id stuff. please correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest spacedog

You can sell your owns wads, sprites, sounds etc.. but if you base anything on the doom source code then you can't sell it

boris said:

Ooooops. I completely forgot about this GPL thingy :) But I think you've to completely build everything up, you're not allowed to use any id stuff. please correct me if I'm wrong.

humm...
What's is GPL ?

spacedog said:

You can sell your owns wads, sprites, sounds etc.. but if you base anything on the doom source code then you can't sell it

Does anyone know where i can download the complete GPL? And, CSDOOM is (or is gonna be) released under the GPL. And its based on original ID Source code! Is that an exception or what?

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

Where can i download a TAR program for dos? I cant UNTAR the files in the zip with winzip correctly....

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

can you really sell wads? so i could make a wad, a whole other game with new everything levels, textures bla bla bla. and sell it as long as i dont include doom.exe? or any source port? so i could jsut tell the person where to get a port that its compatible with? so it wouldnt really contain anything from the id source. can i really do that? that woudl be awesome

Guest Dream Destroyer

Hey man, NOBODY IS GOING TO DISH OUT CASH FOR A DOOM MODIFICATION. PERIOD. The game is too old to make money off of. Besides, this community is based around the fact that everything is free and we share. You are not to be tempted by greed, for you will surely fall.

spacedog said:

Other way around I think you'll find... if your WAD file depends on any id data, you can't sell it (without talking to id...). But the source is GPL, so you can sell source ports (but you have to give away the code).

bitstate said:

...how did the team behind hacx do then?, some special deal with id or?

They paid to license the engine. And it also sold a rather small number of copies, and that was several years ago.