Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sparky

Starting sequencial levels with a pistol

Skull Tag. You can use one of it's new ACS functions, called " Player_RemoveItem". To remove the pistol for example you'd use
Player_RemoveItem(T_PISTOL, 0);
Note that you need some updated files to actually use this function.

Guest spacedog

Use acs with zdoom to kill the player at the start of each level

Lüt said:

Yeah; type IDCLEV and then the map number you want to start fresh at.

How did I know someone was going to say that?
Thanks Lut, for that insightful little
nugget of knowledge ;)

spacedog said:

Use acs with zdoom to kill the player at the start of each level

A little more violent than I'd expected ;)

Although probably great for that Heaven/Hell TC I've got planned
...the level starts, the player dies, the level really starts.

Maybe it's just me, but there's something a little unrealistic about playing a map after death (which is why SP is more satisfying for me than Coop or DM).

I was actually thinking more along the lines of a wad based on individual "missions" rather than the usual continual battle from level to level.

boris said:

Skull Tag. You can use one of it's new ACS functions, called " Player_RemoveItem". To remove the pistol for example you'd use
Player_RemoveItem(T_PISTOL, 0);
Note that you need some updated files to actually use this function.

That's not really going to help me either, because there's no way of knowing what the player is carrying at the start of each level.

Edge's "reset player" function does EXACTLY what I want - start each level/mission with just the default weapons/health/ammo. But sadly, I don't like Edge. It's got heaps of potential, but IMO all levels become unplayable in Edge as it stands today.

Fair dinkum?
Tell me more!
There's nothing about that on the SMMU site that I can see
(or am I just blind?).

Well, it looks like Edge is the only port that can do it then. I would have thought some of the ports could run commands from a map header embedded in the wad, exactly as if they were typed through the console :(

Here's an update though for anyone following this discussion
from Randy Heit, the author of ZDoom (rheit@usa.net):

"There will be, but right now there isn't."

Sparky said:

Fair dinkum?
Tell me more!
There's nothing about that on the SMMU site that I can see
(or am I just blind?).

I already emailed you about this, but for the benefit of others, yes, its left out of the docs.

Try
defaultweapons = xxxxxxxx
with x's replaced by numbers 3 through 8 representing the weapons you want the player to have, like

defaultweapons = 56

to make him start with the fist & pistol implicitly, as well as
a rocket launcher and plasma gun. We've not tested whether or not this takes away weapons the player has from previous levels. If it does not, the Eternity Engine will be adding this feature through FraggleScript.

Thanks for the info, mate.
I'll give it a go and post the test results here.

....I wonder if all the 10Sector levels run in SMMU ????

Quasar said:

I already emailed you about this, but for the benefit of others, yes, its left out of the docs.

Try
with x's replaced by numbers 3 through 8 representing the weapons you want the player to have, like

defaultweapons = 56

a rocket launcher and plasma gun. We've not tested whether or not this takes away weapons the player has from previous levels. If it does not, the Eternity Engine will be adding this feature through FraggleScript.

In Skull Tag:
Player_GiveItem(T_ROCKETLAUNCHER, 0);
Player_GiveItem(T_PLASMAGUN, 0);

;)

Quasar said:

Try

defaultweapons = 56

No, it works exactly as you suggest... you can just add weapons to the players arsenal which he doesn't have at the start of a level - a bit useless really :(

By the way, I tried using SMMU's [console commands] in the map header (which is definately a documented feature) and it wouldn't work at all. I was hoping to try:

[console commands]
map map02

or

[console commands]
kill

boris said:

In Skull Tag:
Player_GiveItem(T_ROCKETLAUNCHER, 0);
Player_GiveItem(T_PLASMAGUN, 0);

;)

thanks, and I just realized you've already covered REMOVING weapons from the player's arsenal.