Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest 6XGate

New Editor?

Guest 6XGate

I am in the process of coding a new level and WAD file editor. I would like some idea and possible coding help. Some info on planned features:

*Uses WADs and it's on Internal development format for projects
*Edit DOOM (all version), and Heretic. (Hexen planned later)
*Remove, Edit, and Add entries to WAD files.
*Sector Based Lever Editor, must hand draw sectors though.
*3-D preview, change wall and flat textures, and ceiling and floor heights from this view. (good to help see how your lever is shaping while you edit it.
*Others that are too numerous to mention here...

May need help with the follow, but if none offered, I will attempt to write:
*3-D preview
*possible internal node, blockmap, and reject builder

THIS PROJECT WILL BE GPLed

Guest 6XGate

Additions... also may need help with a MUS to MIDI and MIDI to MUS converter...

I will be looking into WinTex for some coding help as well.

I, for one would love a new editor to come out, as none of them IMO give me any satisfaction. As for what is promised;

*Remove, Edit, and Add entries to WAD files.
-Nice, I certainly wouldn't mind a way of, say, quickly inserting a demo into a WAD I maybe just aligned textures for and nothing else. Having to do everything else again in WinTEX is a pain, if you hardy changed anything.

-Do you mean hand-draw them a la Waded? I actually prefer using Waded over everything. For example, I'd rather draw a sector as a 5-point star than draw a 10-sided polygon and drag every other vertex, etc.

*3-D preview, change wall and flat textures, and ceiling and floor heights from this view. (good to help see how your lever is shaping while you edit it.
-HELL YEAH! This would certainly help for texture aligning. This is a tad ambitious, but feasible -- especially with the Doom source available to help with writing this bit.

Dude, GO FOR IT! Take what's good about the editors available and combine them. Can I also suggest that you take a look at EDMAP (From CDROM.COM) and it's checking for WAD errors. This is something that would be good to implement.

6XGate said:

Is this similar to WadEd? I'd highly suggest emulating that editor's drawing mode, it doesn't get any easier than that. Also, hopefully yours won't have 2 million bugs either :| Well good luck, I've been in need of a good editor for about 4 years now.

Maybe you could make it a DooM version of Worldcraft (best level editor for Quake,Quake2,HalfLife etc.) ??? That would be really cool

i know i'm not a perfect c++ coder but i'm working with 3 friends in a Doom editor since 3 month.
He is in French and English.

We have these Ken Silverman's build source, WinTex43 source, Dehacked source. But we need to study more about "C".

All we have made is a single room in 3D with 6 textures. But the editor are crashing after 2 or 3 rooms.

But we need to have ZDoom 1.22 to look in the 3D mode.

We need some worktime and some chance to make a perfectly demo of him !

Guest 6XGate

TO clear a few things up, the 3D preview will work somethink like Duke Nukems 3D's BUILD editor as well as sector drawing (only I hope more stabeler than BUILD). Freehand sector drawing is like in the BUILD editor. You start a sector with a vertex, make a few walls and when you close the sector (the start and end vertex's meet) then the sector is created. splitting and adding sectors on sectors will work much the same way. It will be explained in the documents, I also hope someone would be willing to help with part of the writing of the program too.

6XGate
i know how making map in Build for Duke Nukem 3D !!!
I have make many maps for that games.

But for doom feature it's not really simple.
It's just crashing with my c++ coding !

Guest Firebrandt
ViperBoy said:

Maybe you could make it a DooM version of Worldcraft (best level editor for Quake,Quake2,HalfLife etc.) ??? That would be really cool

Technically Worldcraft is the Quake version of the DCK Doom editor. Both by Ben Morris. The interface has a very similar feel to Worldcraft.

Like other's have suggested, don't make it sector based, but line based. This speeds up editing no end. Best example is WadEd, or even better Hellmaker (on the mac).

Oh and: don't make it have tons of "modes". Make it so you can edit almost anything in the default mode, i.e. move verts, draw lines etc.