Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AirRaid

Changing Skies...

I use WinDeu 5.21 To make doom2 levels, but whenever i try to make a room with a sky texture as the ceiling, I can only use the clouds one. I can't figure out how to make a level with a different sky.
Any help would be appreciated.

Well, you can't. Kinda.

There are 3 Doom2 skies, cloud, city and hell, and they're hard-coded into the EXE.

Unless you use ZDoom (I think there is a way to determine which sky you want) then you'll have to make sure you level is 1-12 for the cloud sky, 13-21(I think) for the city sky, and anything above that for the hell sky.

Or create your own pic, from one of the later ones, and import it using WinTEX

Well, pal. I got the same prob. as u do. I only learn the map1 sky from observing Doom2.wad I think u need wintex or other advanced tools to create the sky or use the originals. Hey, what about the mountains of Doom1? where'd they go? also, have u notice that on the wall section, there're sky pic that u can choose, strange. right?

Ya you should just use Wintex to open the Doom2.wad and copy the Cloud texture, then past it in your custom.wad. Then you can open it up with in a paint program using Wintex and just paste whatever sky you want right over it

Guest s999cop

Well, pal. I got the same prob. as u do. I only learn the map1 sky from observing Doom2.wad I think u need wintex or other advanced tools to create the sky or use the originals. Hey, what about the mountains of Doom1? where'd they go? also, have u notice that on the wall section, there're sky pic that u can choose, strange. right?

Maps 1-11 use the cloud sky (SKY1), Maps 12-20 use the city sky (SKY2), and Maps 13-30 use the hell sky (SKY3). These skies are permanently built into the game, so that the appropriate sky shows up when you play one of the corresponding maps. To change the sky the easy way, simply give your wad a Map Name (number) according to the three types of skies. Note that renaming your map (i.e., changing the number, which is done internally within your wad editor) is not the same as renaming your wad file. Read your editor's instructions for help on changing the Map Name. Remember to indicate the map number in your text file.

To insert a custom sky graphic (i.e., one that is different from the three already in the game), use a utility such as WinTex to replace an existing sky with your custom one.

If you want to be more adventurous you could try inserting a MAPINFO lump that allows you to select any of the three skies for any of your levels.

s999cop said:

Hey, what about the mountains of Doom1? where'd they go? also, have u notice that on the wall section, there're sky pic that u can choose, strange. right?

DooM2 uses different skies than DooM1. Therefore, you won't see the mountains of DooM1 in DooM2. (You could copy the DooM1 skies into DooM2 using WinTex, then you'd have DooM1 skies in DooM2.)

You can choose a sky pic for a sidedef; in that case it will not be drawn as a sky, but rather as a wall texture. They make cool "paintings" or murals for office-type levels.

Malice Rancor said:

Ya you should just use Wintex to open the Doom2.wad and copy the Cloud texture, then past it in your custom.wad. Then you can open it up with in a paint program using Wintex and just paste whatever sky you want right over it

A simpler way would be to simply open up your wad in WinTex and insert your custom sky right in.

Jayextee said:

Well, you can't. Kinda.

There are 3 Doom2 skies, cloud, city and hell, and they're hard-coded into the EXE.

Unless you use ZDoom (I think there is a way to determine which sky you want) then you'll have to make sure you level is 1-12 for the cloud sky, 13-21(I think) for the city sky, and anything above that for the hell sky.

Or create your own pic, from one of the later ones, and import it using WinTEX

I think MBF has per-level skies.