Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Malice Rancor

New Tex?

WinTex (for Windows) is by far the easiest - open your wad, select 'advanced' and 'edit texture'.

If you want to do anything advanced like stretched skys or 360 degree skys then you're better off with DeuTex (DOS) or Deep (Windows). From memory, some of the texture functions are limited in the shareware version of Deep though.

When I make a "New Texture" I can't use anything but the
textures that come in the IWAD. And the new texture doesn't show
up in the list of patches. So the only way I can see it is to go
into "Edit Texture" and look at it. The only way I know how to
do it, is to copy a texture from the doom IWAD and paste it
in my wad. And then I open it up with a bitmap and paste the
texture that I want over it.

It sounds like you're a little confused, here.

Let me try and help.

Firstly, you sond like you're confusing TEXTURES with PATCHES, the ptches being the actual graphics that textures are made of.

What you seem to want to do is the following (Woah! Telepathy...);
1) In WinTEX, select PATCHES
2) Load the graphic (*.bmp) that you wish to use
3) Click ADVANCED, EDIT TEXTURE
4) You will now get the selected Doom IWAD textures list. Create a NEW TEXTURE
5) Select your patch from the list. Place it on the texture. Make sure there are no cyan/mask areas showing (Unless they're part of the patch area).
6) Exit, and save the WAD. Now, you may use this texture in your editor.

There - did I help?

Ok I get it now. But I loaded a patch that looked like red
moosh and blood, but once this patch was loaded into the wad, it
turned into blue moosh...?

Textures you're importing into Wintex need to use the Doom palette otherwise Wintex will mess them up.

Extract a Doom texture, save it's palette, and then make your textures use that palette.

It depends on what it's saved as. I had a similar problem doing the inter-level titles. I specifically used the small red letters for credit (cut+paste) but since the image was saved as a 16-bit image and not a 256-color image, the red letters turned blue after being imported into the game. Now, this actually turned out to be a good thing for me, but obviously you've got a problem. I would try to convert it from 16-bit (which I assume your image is) to 256-color and see what happens. Sometimes the colors do get messed up even though you are only using Doom's 256 colors in your image. If the conversion does cause a problem you could mail the graphic to me (original), I've got a bunch of graphics program and I'm pretty sure one of them could do an accurate conversion or swap palettes.

The patch was saved in a bitmap from the Paint program that comes with Windows.

What kind of program can you save it in that is 256?
And what programs converts 16-bit to 256?

Malice Rancor said:

The patch was saved in a bitmap from the Paint program that comes with Windows.

What kind of program can you save it in that is 256?
And what programs converts 16-bit to 256?

You can use MSPaint, when saving the file, pick "Save As" and then under type, change it from 16-bit to 256-color. But, like Nick says Paintshop Pro should do a lot better color conversion; MS-Paint has a tendency to botch the colors if you have used any extra color outside of the original 256.