Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DOMiNiON

A long Doom mapping break..

Guest DOMiNiON

I've given Doom editing a loooong break and have lost touch with what the latest standard issue as far as Doom versioning (modwise) has gone.

The last I heard/saw "ZDoom" was all the rage. I've recently seen some screenshots with sloped surfaces Mmmmm nice.

What mod would I have to be able to use these effects in say an editor such as DETH?

Cheers.

Any editor that allows you to manually input linedef and thing types would do, but there's several ZDoom configuration files floating around for various editors, such as Deepsea and Wadauthor.

There's also a special version of DETH, called ZETH, available on the downloads page at the ZDoom site (http://zdoom.notgod.com), which is unfortunately currently not working.

There's also plenty of ZDoom tutorials around; start with the editing page of the ZDoom site (when it works again). It hasn't been updated in over a year, but it still has most of the things you need to know on it.

Guest DOMiNiON
NiGHTMARE said:

Any editor that allows you to manually input linedef and thing types would do, but there's several ZDoom configuration files floating around for various editors, such as Deepsea and Wadauthor.

There's also a special version of DETH, called ZETH, available on the downloads page at the ZDoom site (http://zdoom.notgod.com), which is unfortunately currently not working.

There's also plenty of ZDoom tutorials around; start with the editing page of the ZDoom site (when it works again). It hasn't been updated in over a year, but it still has most of the things you need to know on it.

Thanks for the reply & the info. ZDoom sounds like it's *the* mod that's widely used from what you've said.

ZETH would be perfect as DETH was what I spent many, many mapping hours in, very happily I might add :) Shame it's not working.. at least I know where to keep my eye on though :)

Guest DOMiNiON
NiGHTMARE said:

Doh .. you meant the site http://zdoom.notgod.com was broken, not ZDoom (I think!) :)

Yeah I do mean the site :)

BTW, in case you didn't know, there's a much improved version of DETH itself available under ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/doom2/themes/TeamTNT/boom/

DOMiNiON said:

Thanks for the reply & the info. ZDoom sounds like it's *the* mod that's widely used from what you've said.

ZETH would be perfect as DETH was what I spent many, many mapping hours in, very happily I might add :) Shame it's not working.. at least I know where to keep my eye on though :)

Another note: You can get ZDoom v1.23 beta 7 from clicking on "Source Ports" on the Doomworld menu and then the "Win9x/NT link"

beta7 doesn't support slopes, but the only place to get the latest beta, 10, is the ZDoom site, so it's the best you can get for now.

By the way, look on the General forums for a round up of the ports I'm about to do...

DOMiNiON said:

You should also keep an eye on Vavoom, that is currently VERY promising. It has more powerful features than ZDoom (especially the "progs", that add EDGE-like capabilities) and will also soon (?) have slopes.

AFAIK Vavoom doesn't really have an equivalent to ACS scripting, which is by far ZDoom's most popular feature.

Guest DOMiNiON
NiGHTMARE said:

Another note: You can get ZDoom v1.23 beta 7 from clicking on "Source Ports" on the Doomworld menu and then the "Win9x/NT link"

beta7 doesn't support slopes, but the only place to get the latest beta, 10, is the ZDoom site, so it's the best you can get for now.

By the way, look on the General forums for a round up of the ports I'm about to do...

Cool! - thanks for all the info guys. Essentially what I wanted to eliminate was me going and designing a map which is never played by anyone else because the source port/mod etc is never played.

What the *caugh* is "ACS scripting" by the way?

Cheers - and i'll keep an eye out for that round-up :)

ACS is ZDoom's powerful and easy-to-learn scripting language. So instead of triggering just one event, when a player uses a switch / crosses / shoots a line (e.g. "W1 Raise floor to lowest next floor") you can make ZDoom execute an ACS script, which can do all sorts of things. (For example open all doors with Tags 10-19, then spawn 10 enemies in certain places, change the floor the player is on to Lava, make a "haha" sound and display "Gotcha" on the screen *g*)

NiGHTMARE said:

AFAIK Vavoom doesn't really have an equivalent to ACS scripting, which is by far ZDoom's most popular feature.

Vavoom has a very powerful scripting language that is used for the "progs", maybe it can also be used for triggers. (If not, I hope they will implement it soon.)

NiGHTMARE said:

From vavoom.txt:
* All games can have extended level structure with ACS scripts.
Sounds like Doom can have ACS then too (like in ZDoom), but when I tried to run acsstuff.wad with Vavoom it crashed. I only tried it once, maybe it does not like that the scripts were not compiled with the original acc.exe...

ZDoom uses the .WAD format from Hexen. I think that Vavoom only supports DOOM style .WADs. This could be the reason why ACSSTUFF.WAD didn't work.

I've created several maps in Doom format and then just added BEHAVIOR and SCRIPTS, and it appears to turn it into Hexen format. This means that if Vavoom supports ACS scripts in Doom, it should support Hexen format Doom maps because there isn't all that much difference in their general structure.

The only other difference is that Hexen format maps use different linedef types than Doom format maps, but most modern ports don't crash if they don't recognize a linedef type, they just treat it like a normal line (i.e. one that does nothing). If Vavoom does crash if illegal lindef types are found, I suggest telling the author to fix it.

Guest DOMiNiON
TheProphet said:

ACS is ZDoom's powerful and easy-to-learn scripting language. So instead of triggering just one event, when a player uses a switch / crosses / shoots a line (e.g. "W1 Raise floor to lowest next floor") you can make ZDoom execute an ACS script, which can do all sorts of things. (For example open all doors with Tags 10-19, then spawn 10 enemies in certain places, change the floor the player is on to Lava, make a "haha" sound and display "Gotcha" on the screen *g*)

Wow! ACS Scripting sounds like it's helped the Doom engine come a long way! Also looks like i've got some catching up to do :)

Still, roll on Doom 3 I say :)

Until then, ZDoom and ACS scripting methinks.

TheProphet said:

ZDoom uses the .WAD format from Hexen. I think that Vavoom only supports DOOM style .WADs. This could be the reason why ACSSTUFF.WAD didn't work.

I know that ZDoom uses the Hexe .wad format ;) But I guess Vavoom uses it too, since it's also a Hexen port...