Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PFCGray

Look at what I said..........

Guest PFCGray

To make sure this gets read, I've posted a new. The REASON I don't want to use DOS stuff is because for one, I have Windows 98 and DOS stuff wont work on it (all MS-DOS is there for is to support Windows), and two, even if I didn't have win98, I don't know how to use DOS. I have Doom95, not the DOS version. So don't flame me by sayin "....ain't that hard man" or whatever you said, cuz I've never used DOS before. And no, WinTex does NOT open some DOS prompt; its used for Windows. If I'm wrong, then sue me!
And plus, whenever I open ANY batch file on my system, I can't do anything with it; the window says "finished" at the time. I try to type something but this dialog box pops up saying "THE MS DOS APPLICATION HAS TERMINATED. PLEASE CLICK THE BOX IN THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER OF THE DOS WINDOW". In other words, DOS don't mean crap on my comp!!! The only DOS programs that work on my comp are the alpha versions of DOOM I downloded.

So I'll reiterate it again, its not me thats the reason why I can't use DOS on my comp, its my f**king computer and Win98!

To show I'm not makin this up, I got "Perdition's Gate" not too long ago and discovered I can't run it. When I typed in the directory (in my case C:\Program Files\Doom II for Windows95) it said it was invalid.

Hiya.

Ok. Try this:

-Click on "Start"
-Go up to "Programs"; wait for it to open.
-Probably near the bottom of your program list you will see something that says "MS-DOS Prompt".
-Click on it. This opents a DOS box.
-(to 'move around' in DOS, you need to learn some basic commands: cd = change directory (followed by the directory or drive Ex: cd "c:\doom2\" will change to that directory// dir = lists everything in the current directory {/p = show only one page at a time ;; /o show files and sub-directories in order). Ex: "dir /o/p" will show everything in the current directory in alphabetical order and one page at a time. To show speccific file types only, use a "*" [astirix] then a "." then the extenstion [so, "dir *.txt" would show you all the text files in that directory] // cd.. = go 'back' one directory. {!!!You can find out DOS information by typing "help"!!!)
-IMPORTANT: In DOS you *can not use spaces or names over 8 characters long*! So, "C:\Program Files\Doom II for Windows95" won't work. DOS would read this as "C:\Progra~1\Doom~1\" I think. To find out, type "cd c:\doom2\" (if that's where DOOM is installed). Then type "dir *.exe /o/p". It will list all the .exe programs in that directory

In closing, DOS *is* on your computer (Windows is only a GUI ---albeit a fancy one with a few enhancements-- to DOS). If it wasn't, you wouldn't have Windows.

If you need more detailed or specific information/help, drop me an email.

Eh? I thought that ever since windows 95, that windows was the operating system.

If you can't be arsed to use dos and you can't be f**ked to learn how to use Wintex properly, then you're screwed, because there are no Windows midi->mus programs in existence. In fact, besides Deepsea (which is MUCH more complicated that Wintex), the only other program remotely similar to Wintex in function is NWT, and that's a DOS program.

Also, while Wintex can technically do this, it actually just automatically runs midi2mus.exe when you import a midi file (that's what Fanatic meant about it opening a dos prompt - you don't type anything in it, but it appears). If you look under you wintex directory, you should see that midi2mus.exe is there.

I think what you may be doing is trying to import a midi file into a lump that's in the data format. What I suggest doing is copying a music entry from doom2 (e.g. d_runnin) into your .wad, and then going through Edit->Load entry from file and selecting the relevant midi.

After that you can rename the music entry to any other doom or doom2 music entry that you want.

BTW, when it says "THE MS-DOS APPLICATION HAS TERMINATED", that doesn't mean it's crapped up, it just means that the program has ended. If you try running a program that requires you to put in command line parameters, e.g. MIDI2MUS, and you don't include any, then it'll end the program because it has nothing to do.

Instead of trying to run DOS things via Start->Run, use Start->Programs->MS-DOS Prompt instead, it'll be a lot easier.

Drat said:

Eh? I thought that ever since windows 95, that windows was the operating system.

Delete Windows off your system and you'll still be left with DOS.

Try deleting DOS and you'll find that you can't.

NiGHTMARE said:

Being a big fan of DeePSea, I'll pimp for it again.

Importing midi's (or any other type of file) ain't that hard in DeePSea.

Hit F7

Click "Import lump files into a PWAD"

Click "Open Target File" and select the wad you want to place the midi in.

Click "Add a file to the list" and select your midi(s)

Click "Import all files"

Voila the midi gets imported using up to the 8 letters of the file name before the .mid extension as the lump name. You also have the opportunity to rename the lump that will be created before clicking import. Multiple files can also be selected making importing of hundreds of files possible in a few clicks.

AFAIK lump importing (and exporting) is not at all limited in the shareware version (map editing is limited to very small maps though).

Of course DOS works under Win 98. I use it all the time. For an experienced DOS user, it is still the quickest way round your hard drive. Sure batch files go to the "finished" screen quickly when run by a double click. They don't take long to run and are then "finished".

If you want to run a DOS session under windows (and I suspect you don't)

Click "start"

Select run

type "command" in the run dialogue and hit enter and as if by magic a dos box appears. Hit Alt-Enter to toggle between full screen and windowed if you want.

Or maybe MS put a shortcut to it in the menu, I don't remember, I use an alternative command line interpreter to command.com so I would have removed or hidden it somewhere in the depths of my start menu.

type "exit" to close the session

Run your batch files from this environment and you may get something a little more meaningful. As NiGHTMARE says, win 98 basically sits on top of DOS. It's not too different from Win 3.1 in that respect (though there are MANY other differences). DOS loads first, then windows starts. you can boot straight to DOS by hitting F8 at startup and selecting the DOS option, and Win 98 doesn't even get the chance to start. Of course, all this would be if you wanted to run DOS, but you don't, so I will stop now.

Sorry NiGHTMARE, I just read your post and my post again an I needlessly repeated a lot of what you said.

I have been rambling all over the internet tonight. See the bollox I have posted on the Zdoom forum too as evidence.

Aaaahhh, and pming too, sorry guys. Time to go away and slap myself with a wet fish. I wish I was drunk. at least I'd have an excuse.

Guest Fanatic

If you don't know DOS, that ain't our fault.

Windows 95 and Windows 98 both ARE DOS. You either don't have your system setup correctly or have no clue how to use DOS.

Like some of the other posts here, you can try something like DeepSea, which can do everything Wintex can do.

Try that rather than pitching a fit to us about YOU not knowing or understanding DOS when we are only trying to help you!!!

Guest Fanatic
Drat said:

DOS is the OS, Windows is the GUI that runs off DOS (version 7+ for Windows 95 and 98).

WinNT, Windows CE, and Windows ME are the only 'real' Windows operating system.

You do have friends, right?
If you do, you might know someone who has a PC too?
If so, ask him/her if he/she knows how to use DOS.
If he/she can use DOS, then ask him/her to teach you how to use DOS.
If you own a brain, you should learn to use it in no time.

PFCGray, yes the reason that you cant use DOS indeed is you, not your operating system as Win98 runs DOS programs almost as well as the real thing...

You just dont know how to use it. And you will never learn if you dont try it.

My god... Everyone should know how to operate a simple DOS prompt!! :)

Maybe this will help?

Think of "DOS" mode more like a command line interface to the operating system. Even NT has a "command" mode (run "cmd" instead of "command"). This is "console" mode. (Like QUAKEx even)

The console cmd shell is useful for running programs that don't need a gui interface (among other uses like starting a system).

Now when you run "DOS" stuff in windows DO NOT use long file names because they won't be recognized by old DOS programs. I think that is the problem you ran into with the path name you listed (just guessing).

Not only is it >8 characters, but you have embedded blanks in there. Put DOOMx files and programs into directories with simple names like DOOM, DOOM2, DOOM95, etc.(no blanks) to make it more backward compatible. You'll find that most (if not all) of the old DOS/DOOM utilities become happier with these short names.

Some "command" line programs made for windows can recognize long file names. They look just like "DOS" programs (in that you get that DOS box) but they really are not. For example, the nodes builder DeePBSP is really a win32 console mode program and therefore runs on NT and 2000 too.

I'll shut up:))