Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jayextee

About projects...

Firstly, sorry for the amount of posts, I merely came here with a lot to ask/say.

Secondly, for the record, I am a newbie level editor who stupidly started his own project instead of joining some others - although this HAS been resolved, as I'm editing for No Hope For Life, and hopefully having something to do with 2001: A Doom Odyssey.

This post is about the latter, as I have noticed the general trend; Newbie Learns Editor, Newbie Releases Level, Newbie Starts Project (With the intention of it being the next Final Doom 32-leveler or something), Nobody Joins newbie (They're all doing THEIR OWN projects), Newbie gets frustrated, etc. etc.

Basically, would it be a good idea if someone (Which if this comes to fruitition, will probably end up being me) were to start a kind of 'newbie designer union', where those new to editing (I.E they haven't been accredited to in some 32-level WAD that everyone played and loved) were to band together and release megaWADs full of these 'newbie' levels, to show off their talents and enforce their name?

Just an idea I had (And it's just typical of me to have ideas above my station!) to maybe bring a sense of community to the Doom editing newbies, many of which feel that there isn't an awfully big 'community spirit' in the socalled 'Doom community'.

Also, it would be a great way to spot new talent, other than visiting every new WAD site that pops up.

Your thoughts, people...?

Hiya.

Sound pretty cool. The more newbies advance and learn, the more levels we get to play. :-)

Someone care to create a web site and start this thing rolling?

pming said:

Someone care to create a web site and start this thing rolling?

It's on my mind, but I won't do it if there's no real want for this kind of thing. Just one reply to a post isn't justification enough, though...

Jayextee said:

Basically, would it be a good idea if someone ... were to start a kind of 'newbie designer union', where those new to editing ... were to band together and release megaWADs full of these 'newbie' leve

Friend:

As you've probably figured out, new levels are always welcome. However, as you also probably know, newby levels (while often showing promise) generally tend to require considerable improvement. Making a megawad of mediocre levels is not likely to attract a significant audience. It might perhaps be better if the Union focused on specific things, such as:

* Creating and maintaining a web site for the encouragement of new editors. The site would serve as a repository for information dissemination, newby wad archiving, and exchanging ideas (perhaps via a forum). While DooMWorld, NewDooM, and other similar sites already serve these functions, they are not specifically targeted towards new editors. So your Union's site would fit a nice niche.
* Assembling existing tutorials, and creating new ones where necessary, on basic editing principles. A FAQ would serve nicely to answer questions such as which editors are available, the fundamentals of map creation, aesthetics and visually pleasing design, elements of creating atmosphere and mood, tips for creating tense and exciting gameplay.
* Creating a showcase of newby levels. Be selective about which levels you showcase, but perhaps also include those levels that are not great but show promise. This would be similar to DooMWorld's Newstuff and OldStuff Chronicles, and would allow the public to distinguish between good and not-so-good newby levels.

I commend your efforts to bring attention to the talents of those new to the joys (and addictions!) of DooM editing. We all start as newbies, and we all hope for encouragement and praise. However, for some of us that talent may not be evident in our first efforts. You have a good idea, and with a few tweaks you should be able to accomplish your objective of highlighting the talents of new editors. Good Luck.

Jayextee said:

It's on my mind, but I won't do it if there's no real want for this kind of thing. Just one reply to a post isn't justification enough, though...

There really is a need for a good site that sticks to explaining how to do stuff. The danger might be to expand as YOU learn more and more. All the ones I've run across, start out spending a lot of time doing the site, then as they learn more they never update to reflect what they've learned. As a result, they tell you things that are not correct or at best, misleading (especially "how to draw" or what "sectors" are).

Develop it with pretty pictures "how to" pictures, not just words. Rick Clark has some good examples to follow.

So an emphatic YES to such a site. Be sure to post your link here and wherever you find DOOM discussions (ZDOOM, NEWDOOM, etc)so people know where you are. It is a lot of work, but can be rewarding (just like level making) from the people who will thank you. I don't think that constitutes "spam"<g>

Have a strong constitution though - there will always be jerks.

PS: when you get it up, email other sites to see if they will link to yours.

(and type carefully - I'm so bad)

This is actually a very good idea, and someone ought to make a thing like that. But i think it would seem a little offensive. Not all "newbies" think they are "newbies"!