Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AirRaid

Transparent doors... HOW???

In one of the text files that comes with bsp 5.0, it says that I can make transparent doors by setting the door sector to 900 or above. I have tried this, and it just filled the transparent bits with rubbish. How do I get this to work? I want to make a door with bars that I can see between, which opens when a button is pressed.

Look under "resources" on the Doomworld sidebar and you will see "Editing tutorials". Click it. I'm sure you can find the way from there...

Following up on what NM said, try this page on DooMWorld:

http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx5.shtml

The 900 tag is a bit awkward to implement. The Edmap method does not depend on just Edmap's node builder. Haven't done that for a bit, but I know DeePBSP works with that style (for a regular open/close door anyway) and BSP does too.

There is another way to build transparent door that is independent of how nodes are built (meaning I've not tested it with -all- the variations of level design). The KABOOM level has lots of door built this way (download KABOOM from our website or from CDROM.COM). The other example is in the DOOM2TUT level in DeePsea.

It shares the common element of having a y offset of 128. Not totally different from the tutorial referenced here, but also not obvious:) This kind of tranparent door has to be a "switch" door, so it has linedef/sector tags. Briefly, you draw a sector inside a sector.

The one thing I like about this door is that all the sector references are valid so any error checker won't barf on them.

So now there are at least 3 ways to do this.

The easyest way would be to use a source port like BooM... BooM's 242 linedef (used for invicible stairs & deep water) can also be applyed to ceiling! There's just a little trick that you still have to do.. Place two small sectors on each side of the door that have floor height one unit lower than the door sectors floor is. Otherwise it will make a HOM effect when the door is fully closed.

The 1 unit sector height difference is the key. The 242 is another instance exploiting this little trick in a different way.

A real live example in one of the levels I listed is clearer than me trying to explain it. The tutorial referenced earlier here is damn good. Here's a poor imitation ascii picture, hope I don't screw it up

----------------------------------
| |
| |
------------sr open door tag x----------
| sector 2 |
| -----------------y=128----------- |
| | height=0, 1 unit above sector 2 | |
| -----------------y=128----------- |
| |
------------sr opendoor-tag x------------
| |
| |
-------------------------------------

The linedefs in height=0 sector point IN. Only outside linedefs are 1-sided. height = 0 sector = tag# x, linedef tags to it. y=128 required - that's the "transparent door". Texture is placed on both sides in "middle".

Works in DOOM, HEXEN, BOOM, etc. No special nodes. Easy to draw, no trick sectors.

Each method has it's place in the same level. Choose to suit the occasion.

(oops forgot $#%^ html gets rid of spaces - pretend the | space over please)

NiGHTMARE said:

Look under "resources" on the Doomworld sidebar and you will see "Editing tutorials". Click it. I'm sure you can find the way from there...

I hope Mordeth rewrites that one. It's kinda confusing!

ReX said:

Following up on what NM said, try this page on DooMWorld:

http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx5.shtml

I dont think you have to write it with capital letters! I think he got it already!

NiGHTMARE said:

Eh, I'm sure he isn't THAT stupid :)

heh. If he was he must outstupid that Username guy!