Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Davey

Free Deepsea?

Guest Davey

Ok i was wondering is there a FREE!! full version of Deepsea that you dont have to order. I live in canada and this place that you order from is in the US. I dont evin know if they still sell the damn program. My dad is being a jerk and wont let me order it so if anybody out there knows were i can get this plz thell me.

You could join the hundreds of other pissed-off users who don't want to pay, and do whatever they try and do to get rid of the fee. Probably not much. I'm sure they'll come out if you ask them to. I would seriously recommend trying to learn the shareware version first. It's one of those programs you have to spend months and months of doing hardcore memorizing and studying and tutorials before you'd be able to fluently take advantage of it. I've never had the time so I use it to run error checks and then fix them in another editor.

"Extra features" (like those that are being asked for that already exist in DeePsea) have to be learned one way or another. (for example, most people don't know how to set the time on their VCRs - and I don't care to learn how to set mine:)

If you just want to "draw" levels and basic editing, it's essentially the SAME as any editor - arguably even LESS to learn.

For any new feature, users will have to also learn how to activate the feature - like learning to play a game, etc.

It true that it may take some time to learn (memorize) -all- the DeePsea commands and features, but that's not really required. I even have to look them up if I don't use it very often via F11 help.

Common ones like G(rid) and snap (/) toggle are used all the time so those are easy to learn via repetition. An example of a less common ones is shift+pgup/down to change sector heights via the keyboard (to save time).

There's no need to really memorize them all. Get an overview of what is available (press F11) and look it up when required.

Lüt said:

You could join the hundreds of other pissed-off users who don't want to pay, and do whatever they try and do to get rid of the fee. Probably not much. I'm sure they'll come out if you ask them to. I would seriously recommend trying to learn the shareware version first. It's one of those programs you have to spend months and months of doing hardcore memorizing and studying and tutorials before you'd be able to fluently take advantage of it. I've never had the time so I use it to run error checks and then fix them in another editor.

I can't even get it even though I want to, as they don't take my type of dedit card, and the Deep "affiliate sites" you can supposedly get it from just look like a load of gibberish to me (i.e. "legalese").

The only site you can order from is www.sbsoftware.com. What "affiliate" information on the page gave that impression - since I want to remove that implication? There's a general software link - is that the one?

The PayPal problem I'm aware of is for international MC cards (till April). They don't explicitly list a debit card, but that should actually be better than a credit card. Stuff gets so confusing in this area. One can also draw direct from a bank account - which is essentially the same as a "debit" card.

I seemed to remember you or someone else to do with deep sending me to a site quite a while ago, and I just gave up because it was so confusing. Maybe it was paypal, as I said it was a while back.

These paypal/bidpay/whatever things are stupid anyway. You only get to find out what credit/debit cards they actually accept AFTER you register. You'd have thought it would be in their FAQs or elsewhere, but nope, the only way to know is when you get to the bit where you select which one you have.

www.sbsoftware.com is the only site that sells DeePsea - but there are some sites that have the shareware version. Maybe the other guy got confused. We've only started PayPal in the last month.

PayPal accepts any VISA or MC card (US) and only VISA for international (MC in April). The logo tells all. Don't know about the "debit" part for sure, but -usually- one can use a "debit" card anywhere a credit card is accepted. When I did my own processing, debit cards were not a problem and were processed just like a "credit" card.

For small merchants, PayPal is very cost effective (you won't believe how CC companies nickle/dime the charges), plus they verify the user's address. I had my own concerns that reflect in part your comments. The end goal is to have others comfortable with the process, not just us!

PayPal has been receptive to my comments. They corrected the order page when I told them they forgot to put a link to the international section on it. Although sometimes it takes me a few emails, I eventually get someone who can "comprehend" english to understand my question<g>

I agree it's not crystal clear if debit cards are accepted. I'll email them and see if they can add a link explaining the credit cards types better. Might take me a few times though - lol

Guest davey
Lüt said:

I know how to use the program fine iv made a few levels im just sick of the line limits and not being able to fight the enamies i add. and the damn 5 level limit.

NiGHTMARE said:

I can't even get it even though I want to, as they don't take my type of dedit card, and the Deep "affiliate sites" you can supposedly get it from just look like a load of gibberish to me (i.e. "legalese").

I got a reply back from PayPlay about the debit card question. A U.S. VISA or MC debit card is exactly the same as a credit card.

davey said:

I know how to use the program fine iv made a few levels im just sick of the line limits and not being able to fight the enamies i add. and the damn 5 level limit.

Not sure what you mean for sure, but if you are talking about new SPRITES that you want to replace "enemies" with, you can do that fine with the shareware. Please review the help starting with "Graphics -" to see the control data required.

Briefly, you need to add S_START and S_END entries before and after all your new sprites. If you use BOOM/ZDOOM and derivative ports that's all you need. For DOOMx, you need to export the sprites and add your new stuff to ALL existing sprites.

You can automate the "all" export by selecting the "Graphics Editor" and export all the sprites. This automatically adds the S_START stuff.

Now you can add your sprites using the F7 import tool.

1. Create a new target PWAD (press Open Target File".
2. Press "add a file" and select SPRITES.WAD created above (only needed if not BOOM, etc)
3. Delete anything you don't need.
4. Press "add a file" and add your sprites (as files or bmps or however you have them) between any control info.
5. If you don't have S_START/S_END control info yet, press Insert Target and put those names in.
6. Press Import All files and you are done.

Now add this file when you play the game (or also import the level and just play as before).

In the same F7 menu you can export all the sprites all at once too but you have to select them all (group select on). They will also be individual LMPS (or BMPS). The next version has the option to create a single WAD will ALL the entries you've created.

So essentially you can create and import to your hearts delight and play with the new enemies:)

Download the current version from www.sbsoftware.com since that's newer than the one here.

The linedef limit is just another way to do shareware. Some tried a time limit, but most people quickly found a way around that<g> It's the nature of shareware: "try first" before you buy.

Guest davey

What i mean is that whenever i add ppl like peasent , gaurd , rebels. They never show up when i test the map . And i dont know how to make them show up.

If you are launching the game directly from DeePsea, then delete the "-nomonsters" from the option line.

In Strife, the peasants and rebels are "monsters" as are the guards. -nomonsters will not make for an interesting level:)) It's mainly for testing how stuff looks.

The same applies to all the other DOOM type games. The option line is open to anything so one can add and delete the latest specs for any port. The next release will expand on that some more with an expanded -warp option for nonstandard level names in some of the ports (for example +map DAVEY will warp to the level called DAVEY in ZDOOM).

deepteam said:

I know, I wasn't bagging you for actually making a complex program. I've just done it my way for 6 years and everything else is completely foreign to me, even though it accomplishes the same thing. I'm sure it's good for the people who can use it but I'm just not ready to re-learn everything I already know how to do in a different way unless I can actually learn in one-on-one, in person from a tutor-type guy. I have too many other programs to figure out right now.

It's a normal reaction to stick with what one knows:) If one just plays stock DOOM (not BOOM nor ZDOOM derivates), then old habits work ok. For the new stuff, you may free up some time if you enjoy making levels.

Since you already learned the hard part (what level editing is all about), it's not that difficult to expand your basics.

There is a quick start interactive tutorial (just like an in person tutor-type guy) demo that can show anybody how to draw a room and connect them. It's designed for people with little time:) Press the top Help menu and select "Tutorial Demo"

P.S: I can't believe how many lawyers still use the old DOS WordPerfect. Watching them do a cut and paste is quite interesting<g>

Guest Little Dude
Afterglow said:

one word - warez.

Were could one get these warez for deepsea?