Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MEGAMUR

Making Legacy skins with WinTex 4.3....

Guest MEGAMUR

I know how to create skin graphics and sounds and such for Legacy, but how do you load the 'S_SKIN' data lump into WinTex, and what file extension should it have (.txt or .lmp)?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

If you need more info, I'll be glad to give it to you.

Thanks.

-MEGAMUR (who's searching for answers and finding nothing)

Load a dummy lump (Either .lmp or .txt are fine) like ENDOOM or something you haven't used, then rename it to S_SKIN

Guest MEGAMUR

Oh, my God, it worked! It worked, it worked, it worked! Wow, thanks alot! That was really drivin' me nuts.

I just joined, and I already love this board.

-MEGA-Happy-MUR

Next time, you might consider an easier way:)

Use the Lump Import tool in DeePsea. No renaming, no tricks required.

1. Press F7, select Import Files,

2. Select the PWAD to insert the lump into.

On the right list box, select the point where you want to insert the lump (or default to the end).

3. Select the Input file (and be any ending name).
If the file starts with S_SKIN that's the default lump name, but you can rename it if you want.

4. Press Import files

You are done. No renames,no tricks. ANY lump can be imported.

Hmmm.... the question was for WinTEX, so I answered in a relevant manner.

Just trying to help. I'm a newbie, too.

The question was how to get a lump name (that Wintex won't recognize) into a PWAD. So I answered in a relevant manner. He was just using the wrong tool<g>

Wintex is relatively awkward, has many "quirks" and does not actually work correctly. I found this out as I added TEXTUREx/PNAMES merging to DeePsea and in testing discovered mass duplicated textures and deleted PNAMES, creating not only too much extra data but confusion. There are other quirks, but what the heck - it was good for it's time.

A lot of the "old" advice is actually awkward advice for "newbies". People recommend obsolete tools, because that's all they know (or they don't want to bother with learning something else - which I understand). However, for "newbies" it's better to use newer tools.

So I'm just trying to help both of you<g>