Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Black Void

Darn 3D bridges...

I've done it all- special lighting, all those Boom feutures, fake 3d bridges, even Zdoom slopes- but I can't make 3D bridges! ARGH! I've tried reading those "helping faqs" but I just don't under-freaking-stand! Can somebody give me a better explanation? I just wanna 3D bridge- but me no good at doing it on my own. Damn.

*Note- I'm using DoomCAD and Wauthor as my editors. I could imagine DoomCAD can't do 3D bridges, because it's so out-dated. But what about Wauthor? ACK! And one more thing... perhaps somebody can send me a quick example wad to delta_point@hotmail.com if that's any easier. Thanks. I'll appreciate the help.*

Yes, you can do it with WadAuthor. Make sure you have the latest zdoom.wcf file, from the zdoom.notgod.com downloads. You can use zdoom's built-in invisible bridge objects, placing them where needed, controlling their altitude with the z-offset.

I have a few examples, but they are not small files. You might look at dm-morph.zip at rarefiles.tripod.com to see lots of use of the bridge objects..you'll need zdoom beta33 for the wad to work properly because the mapinfo has an "air control" entry not recognized by older zdoom.

Biffy said:

Yes, you can do it with WadAuthor. Make sure you have the latest zdoom.wcf file, from the zdoom.notgod.com downloads.

If you plan to use the .wcf file with WadAuthor, make sure you follow the instructions (i.e., comment out the line that refers to WadAuthor). Otherwise you'll get weird script error messages.

Black Void, in case you don't know, ZDooM has a ready-made invisible "bridge" type object as Biffy pointed out. (It's Thing 9990.) If you want your bridge to be, say 128 units above the ground, insert the requisite number of Thing 9990s, assign them a height of 127 (the z co-ordinate), assign the thing diameter in the first assignment, and assign the thing thickness (in this case 1, bringing the total height above ground to 127+1 = 128) in the second argument.

Add the visible part of the bridge -- platform, and hand rails or grating or glass, as appropriate. To do the platform part, insert a linedef where appropriate, lower unpeg it, assign a texture such as STEP3 to both the front and back sidedefs, and assign a y-offset of 112 to both front and back sidedefs. (Because STEP3 has a height of 16, giving it a y-offset of 128-16 = 112 will ensure that your bridge "platform" is level with your ledges on either ends of the bridge. If you want to step down to the bridge, adjust your sidedef and Thing 9990 offsets accordingly.)

I'll see if I can scrounge up an example and email it to you.

Hey- thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. I wouldn't mind it if you sent me that email, I believe it will help. In the mean time, I will experiment and see what I can do at this point. Again, thanks you two for the help-
Void

Mordeth said:

You didn't mention which port you wanted to use, but this is how it is done in vanilla Doom.

He read those and got confused, like I did :P

Well I would assume he read them?

Anyhow, read this for the thread and click this for the wad that showed me how to do it. Thanks to Deathman for making it :D

Mordeth said:

WTF is so confusing about that tutorial?

I got confused, probably cause I didn't fully understand map editing at that time. You should have an exmaple wad just in case people don't fully understand it there...

Mordeth said:

WTF is so confusing about that tutorial?

If you're a relative beginner what's confusing is where sectors 4,5 & 6 come into it.It's not clear that they are 'reference sectors' remote or 'In the void' as is written.In fact 'In the void' takes some figuring out, easy in retrospect but to a complete beginner, not.

well... the point is I finally figured it out- it only took me like, a week... but that's ok, because generally, I'm slow- now go download my newly uploaded... uh... cool- 2nd - *ahem* "newbie" map from the newstuff!

ok....what is it called? (your new wad)

hey does zdaemon understand zdoom bridges? anyone know?

It's called tkalpha, but it was just uploaded so it probably won't be on newstuff just yet. Oh- and it's fully boom-irific! And one more thing- DoomCAD sucks... I need a better editor and I hate wauthor's interface. DeepSea? Should I go with the trendiness of DeepSea?

The tutorial's not that bad, I managed to do it without too much trouble. In fact I created a triple 3D bridge (the one mentioned in the double bridge tutorial) for doom.exe, but I now use ZDooM, so it became a whole lot easier....

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Shit a triple bridge...SHOW US NOW

Heh, I might try and see if I can remember how to make the damm bridge :P

same way you make a double bridge :D

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Shit a triple bridge...SHOW US NOW

Heh, I might try and see if I can remember how to make the damm bridge :P

here. It is a triple bridge cos there are 3 layers: sludge, lower gantries and upper gantries. You can go under all gantries and on all of them with no trouble. I actually got it working in doom.exe (same as a double bridge but a little more complex), but it's now a Zdoom bridge (and much easier to do).
Of course that was only a test wad, the real thing is different...

Ok- I have another question that is off this subject, but the question I'm about to ask is one that has been said probably a thousand times before (which explains why I'm not wasting space for a new thread). With Zdoom (not boom or any other source port) is there a specific way to do dynamic coloring? Ya know, the red and blue lighting sort... I know how it can be done for boom, but is there a specific way for zdoom? Thanks in advance...

you mean fog?

well this only works for sectors in deep water, which you know how to do. Just name the lower texture of the line that has the tag "transfer heights" to 70000070. why 70000070 ? well the first 2 numbers i dont know, but the rest is a hexidecimal color. like for red, you would put 70700000 because its ??redredgreengreenblueblue

Thanks, but uh... I knew that... (sorry)

I guess I should be a bit more specific- I mean like the red lights in Enjay's Levels and in Dark7. How'ed they make it so that it was that deep red/blue/yellow/orange (rainbow :-) color? I don't think it was the deep water effect...

Epyo said:

you mean fog?

well this only works for sectors in deep water, which you know how to do. Just name the lower texture of the line that has the tag "transfer heights" to 70000070. why 70000070 ? well the first 2 numbers i dont know, but the rest is a hexidecimal color. like for red, you would put 70700000 because its ??redredgreengreenblueblue

The first two numbers are the fogginess. Higher numbers = foggier. For the other six number spaces, 70 is pretty highly colored. I'd suggest experimenting, I like 70000030 so the blue is more subtle.