Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lazer

Hello, I'm new and I have a few questions...

I'm new here, but not to the doom world. I have been editing doom wads, graphics, etc... for years now. I've messed around with and used:

-DeHackEd
-Wintex
-DMapEd

Now, since the main editor I have been using is DMapEd 4.0 (Is there a better version?) most of the levels I have made don't end with any errors because of the error checker. But at the same time, I have been learning about see-through doors, bridges, inviso-bridges, inviso-platforms, and other things using no lower or upper textures. The problem here is that the editor I am using doesn't seem to be able to create them without giving me errors and the inviso-platforms having floor textures that hang over the edges and other such gliteches.
So, here is my question:
Can anyone give me tips and recomend editors that would help me build such things?

For the windows world there are only 2. DeePsea and WadAuthor, both shareware editors. Both easy on the eyes and fun to use. Please download the current version of DeePsea from www.sbsoftware.com (the one here is not current). There is a glitch I introduced with selecting multiple sectors, but next release in about a week will fix that and add pretty handy texture editing tools.

Some "tricks" will always cause an error checker to burp. Not to worry. You can turn off specific checks in DeePsea, so you don't have to give up all the checks.

Guest fragg

Hi Lazer,
I can't help, but near bottom of this Editing forum page, is a thread called "Multi-story Bldgs".
Perusing it, you'll find info that will point you in right direction. Good luck.
fragg

deepteam said:

For the windows world there are only 2. DeePsea and WadAuthor, both shareware editors. Both easy on the eyes and fun to use. Please download the current version of DeePsea from www.sbsoftware.com (the one here is not current). There is a glitch I introduced with selecting multiple sectors, but next release in about a week will fix that and add pretty handy texture editing tools.

Some "tricks" will always cause an error checker to burp. Not to worry. You can turn off specific checks in DeePsea, so you don't have to give up all the checks.

Ok thanks, but one thing I noticed was I could do a copy and paste from other levels (anyone played nemesis by Justin Fisher?) and it wouldn't pick up any errors. But I'll check out the other editors you suggested. Anymore ideas?

EDIT: I got WadAuthor and it is great, but there is one feature I used in DeMapEd that I can't seem to be able to do in WadAuthor. This feature is the abuilty to draw sector just by clicking and dragging open a room. And if you drew the room right next to another sector they will connect. This cuts my building time in half, maybe even more. Does WadAuthor have this function?

I think I understand the question, since I do know DeMapEd:)

DeePsea is similar to DeMapEd in that one draws "lines" at will. So it's relatively simple to draw complex areas. As you suggest, it does cut building time in 1/2 (prbably a lot more) since the exact final design is created from the onset with no more tinkering required.

In DeePsea you can also bring the end of a line to any place directly on top of another line and it will automatically create a vertex at that point. You can even draw -across- a line and have it automatically "split" where it crosses.

When you draw/extend from an existing area, the new area automatically connects to the old one. There is a short interactive personal tutor that shows you how to "draw". Press F1 and from the Help menu select "Tutorial Demo" and it shows this process in action.

Please review the help. Press F11 and print out the short-cut keys for quick reference. Only a few are actually used in a normal day. Set the various F5 options to tune for your skill level, etc.

"Oh good! I'll get DeePsea then!"

Do so IMO it is very good. It has a lot more features besides level editing too.

If you are editing for a Boom compatible port, there is simple way to make see through doors that eliminate a lot of the problems caused by the traditional method.

1: Create a normal door, with upper textures and everything.

2: Give the door sector a tag. You may need to give the door activators the tag too, depending on how you are activating it.

3: Make a lindef right beside the door a transfer sector heights type (boom deep water effect) and give it the same tag. This will make the door look open regardless of whether it is or not.

4: Put an appropriate see through texture on the main, normal, centre section of the door front side def and Y offset it by the height of the door (as you would for a normal see through door).

There you have it. A see through door with no need to surround the door on all sides with sectors, no need to set the door floor and ceiling 1 unit higher than the surrounding sectors, no brief HOM type flash as the door moves and no need to leave any missing textures.

No I'm not using boom. I'm fine with inviso-platforms. I just use copy and paste. But I need to know how to:

a. Make see-through doors in normal doom.
b. Make see-through lifts(fences) that will lower with a button.