Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sandman

Any level-editors for EDGE?

Guest Sandman

Well I couldn't find an editor to use with EDGE, also I couldn't find like a tutorial on level design for EDGE. If someone could help I'd be grateful

The good news:

DeePsea edits EDGE DDF files and you can put them back into a level without using any other program. (F7 menu - choose "any" lump edit, save, export)

The bad news:

I never found a good -clear- reference specifically geared towards an editor - any editor! That is, what specials are new, etc. Gobs of DDF stuff though.

How to do it:

ALL the specials are in the DDF files, but no one bothered to make a concise list in a "text" file (of new stuff) that one could easily use to modify an editor. If they expect an editor (or user) to read those "alpha" files, that's pretty ..err.. ummm.. mumble.

You can open up each DDF file and see the specials and figure it out. Most are the same as stock DOOM, but there are new ones too.

You need to know about all the new specials appropriate to this port so the DeePsea OPT files (or any other editor) can be modified appropriately. You can manually key in the values by memory - not too user friendly.

My understanding is that the specials can be further modified in DDF files, in which case you also make custom additions appropriate to your level.

One would think that there are "special" files somewhere for some editor (witness the levels being made). I just never could find them on the Edge web page - just very good DDF docs.

I'll gladly take any flames just to get my hands on any editor oriented reference set listing<g>

Guest Fanatic

http://edge.sourceforge.net/downloads.htm#misc_downloads

We use DOOMCad 6.1.

Any editor will do, just need to ability to add custom line, sector, and thing id #'s to the editor's setup file.

I couldn't find a clear and concise description of the "custom line ..."? (DDF files are in the wrong format for easy manipulation).

Why don't you (or someone) post the DOOMCAD files? Seems such a simple thing to do - and so useful too.

If you post a file like that, I can convert it easily.

Guest Fanatic
deepteam said:

I couldn't find a clear and concise description of the "custom line ..."? (DDF files are in the wrong format for easy manipulation).

Why don't you (or someone) post the DOOMCAD files? Seems such a simple thing to do - and so useful too.

If you post a file like that, I can convert it easily.

We have a DOOMCad ini for EDGE 1.25, and will release it with the full 1.25 release.

What don't you understand about LINES.DDF? I don't know what you mean about wrong format, you can open them in Notepad or DOS EDIT.

You can download the loose DDF files from our homepage, in case you don't want to extract the lumps from EDGE.WAD too.

But every single line entry in LINES.DDF has an explanation of what the line is supposed to do, and the details in that line section are pretty self-explanatory really.

I don't know what you mean about wrong format,
=============================================

This is not a criticism of the DDF format, but rather the specific use of same for creating an editor specific file.

It's geared 100% towards ..err.. Edge. It's relative difficult to work with documents in the "Edge" format with the goal of creating an editor specific file. That you have an editor specific file and did not post it is puzzling. Why not post it now?

I think this is a "forest" and "trees" problem. Pretend you want to edit Hexen and all you have are the raw Hexen specs (which are actually easier to work with than DDF files).

The problem is not that I can't, the problem is that it takes way too much time.

I tried to explain this before to one of the authors. He wrote to me asking me to translate DDF files to DeePsea format and I wrote back suggesting that Edge authors should write a program to create an editor friendly format that we can ALL use.

I sort of indicated all this in my reply to this request for an editor to edit Edge. Like I said, DeePsea can mess with the DDF lumps directly, so that's not an issue.

Guest Fanatic

I think I'm misunderstanding what you are asking for.

Do you just need a list of the EDGE specefic line numbers with a description of what they do?

What do you need to translate to Deepsea? Just the info above or something more detailed (like the entire contents of the DDF files)?

I didn't post the DOOMCad ini file we are currently using for the EDGE 1.25 internal release because it's not finialized for EDGE 1.25 (things are still changing), so it's mainly to avoid confusion.

I can email it to do privately if you need it though.

a list of the EDGE specefic line numbers with a description of what they do?
======================================

That's it. If Things and Sector types are different, those would be nice also. An indication of whether they need tags or not (just in case there are some that are not obvious) would be a bonus:)

I'd be happy to incorporate anything you email to the address shown for me here.

Thanks

Guest Fanatic

The EDGE DDF's for SECTORS.DDF, LINES.DDF, and THINGS.DDF are exactly the same as DOOM and DOOM2. We've only added new EDGE specefic entries.

The new entries are:

SECTORS.DDF: 18 - 70
LINES.DDF: 141 - 439 (BOOM/MBF/EDGE special line types)

I'll email the DOOM2.INI for DOOMCad 6.1 with these entries. It *should* work with the 1.25 WIP, but no guarentees.