Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lazer

Fireball trail random?

I'm trying to make the fireball trail for the fireballs that the revenants shoot happen every time. The reason: The pentagram weapon I am using is going to shoot off a bunch of those that leave a trail that (thanks to DeHackEd) drops little sparks to the ground that do no damage but look pretty. Now it works but not every time. I've seen this techique used in D2XGold and it worked every time! What is going wrong?

You can make it work every time by giving -another- projectile the 'spawn puffs' codepointer, or by giving another monster the revenant's projectile. It's been a while since I experimented with this, so...

The revenant's fireball does not always track its victim, which is why the puffs are not always spawned.

I have a dehacked patch that gives 2 other monsters the revenenat fireball shot. Both of them still fire some homing and some non homing missiles in whatever random way the revenant does. Haven't tried giving another missile the code pointer though.

It only seems to work with the revenant fireballs. I made something good looking, but I noticed that the ones with a code pointer of 0 don't allow me to edit them even though I should be able to and I have seen it done before.

You can't add codepointers to frames with a 0 pointer through DeHackEd. Why this is, I'm not sure, since the 0 takes up the same amount of space in the executable as any other 32-bit value -- DeHackEd was a bit asinine in some of its internal details.

If you want to put pointers into frames that don't originally have them, or clear frames that already do, you need to use Boom Extensions, or BEX. BTW I'm currently working on a utility that will work similar to DeHackEd but has full BEX support ;)

Quasar