Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LESTER420

Darkening 2 Texture Set??

Guest LESTER420

I use unregistered DCK, and would like to create a level or two with the Darkening 2 textures. DCK rejects darken2.wad because there are too many textures. Is there a wad file with ONLY the Darkening 2 TEXTURES? Is it okay to use these textures in my own levels? Damn, I guess I enjoy playing The Darkening and The Darkening 2 too much. In my opinion, these projects couldn't have been made by a better crew.

I tried to find a site that has Darkening 2 to see what is going on, but no luck. Is there still a site that has it available?

So I'm fishing somewhat in the dark here and going by "the usual rules".

If you have windows 95+, then just use DeePsea to export the textures and then Import them back into a custom PWAD. Press F7 to see the dialog with these tools. Next release will make it more convenient with 1 less step.

Textures are a "combined" thing. So next, edit the TEXTURE/PNAMES and get rid of all the DOOM stuff. Use the Texture Editing tool to accomplish this goal.

Will that solve your problem? Probably not.

I'd be more specific, but I can't find the PWAD to play with. Sounds like it has a whole bunch of new graphics lumps and those are exceeding whatever limit DCK has. That's why I think if you just add the new lumps, you will still have the problem.

If you want to have a boo at the wad, you can get it here :

http://despayre.ath.cx/mirrors/pub/pc/games/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/darken2.zip

Got it, thanks for the link stphrz. Looks interesting.

To Lester420:

Well, it has 971 total textures and 428 of those are DOOM2. So it's possible to trim it down to the 768 limit in DCK by deleting some stock textures (or textures you don't want). DCK must also not like the extra Flats (150) and the extra graphics too, since it complains about 462 too many.

Not hard to do, just tedious - and you'll have to decide which ones to delete. So the TEXTURE edit tool is used to delete the textures names you don't want. Also delete the PNAMES lumps that are no longer used (to avoid other potential problems).

Save this new texture definition with your desired PWAD file name. Then Import the Darkening PWAD, import the new Texture definition, delete all the lumps you don't want (like levels, demos, etc) and press Import to make a "texture wad". (There will be some warning about duplicates - the last one in overrides.)

If you wait a bit, the next release of DeePsea will make this a bit easier, since the Export will be able to make a single PWAD of all the graphics selected with one click. Then all you have to do is merge the TEXTURE definition pwad (as described above) and the Exported graphics PWAD. Plus it can verify your work (no missing lumps).

Or you could switch to a different editor that does not have a texture limit, skip the grunt work and get right to designing:)

deepteam said:

I tried to find a site that has Darkening 2 to see what is going on, but no luck. Is there still a site that has it available?

So I'm fishing somewhat in the dark here and going by "the usual rules".

If you have windows 95+, then just use DeePsea to export the textures and then Import them back into a custom PWAD. Press F7 to see the dialog with these tools. Next release will make it more convenient with 1 less step.

Textures are a "combined" thing. So next, edit the TEXTURE/PNAMES and get rid of all the DOOM stuff. Use the Texture Editing tool to accomplish this goal.

Will that solve your problem? Probably not.

I'd be more specific, but I can't find the PWAD to play with. Sounds like it has a whole bunch of new graphics lumps and those are exceeding whatever limit DCK has. That's why I think if you just add the new lumps, you will still have the problem.

Look at Doomworld's sidebar menu...

Look at Doomworld's sidebar menu...
======================================

I suppose I should have said "none of the links work". Go ahead and see:)) Looks like there may be a lot of grunt work to do if cdrom.com is going away.

But I got it courtesy of S (read below)

Hi,

Well I guess I should speak up since I am one of only a few DE2 designers still active with doom2. I designed map4 and I used DCK. My workaround was to use DETH to apply the textures after designing the wad in DCK.

Ola Bjorling (the texture designer) was working on a specific texture wad for public rerelease. That has fallen through the cracks however. There has been repeated requests for a DCK specific wad. I suppose I could split up the wad into digestable pieces. I haven't done this yet specifically because these are mainly Ola's textures and he is very specific about usage.

I will probably update the site on last time (adding new links to download the wad et al.) and perhaps you will see it then.

The only problem I see with jack's idea of opening the wad in Deep is that I believe the "shareware" limitations will kick you out because all levels are larger then the availible limit. Is it possible to load all the textures and edit them in the shareware version? I'm not too sure but I think not.

Jack, after seeing the levels do you think the DE2 designers have their editing fundamentals down pat? (haha).

Anthony Soto

that I believe the "shareware" limitations will kick you out because all levels are larger then the availible limit.
=================================================

Nope. I didn't go to all that trouble to explain how to do it and then have somebody get pi$$ed about that. There are NO limits when it comes to the Import, Export or Texture tools (nor the new ones coming). Just do it.

It's grunt work and not terribly difficult. The only reason I didn't volunteer to do it, is that I'd have to cull out some DOOM textures to make it compatible - a subjective and speculative job.

There is no "kick out" at any time for a large level - never has been. You just can't save the level.

It's always wise to try something before drawing conclusions:)) I only glanced at the Dark levels and resources and they appear to be well done.

It was a good PWAD to try some new DeePsea tools on. Only a few technical mistakes in the textures - courtesy of some new error checking I just put in DeePsea. For example, OCABLE03 patch does not cover the actual size defined.

Not a criticism of the textures, since those looked real nice - just that with that much work it's really hard to check everything. Of course, all these things are only for designers who want to concentrate on design, not mucking with grunt work.

Ahh ok you are right - you cannot save when opening larger wad files. I don't know what the difference is honestly though, if I could open it and edit it but not save what help is that?

Well it's been a while since I looked at deep. But Jack, would it not be easy to cut textures from Deep. If I remember correctly (which of course I normally don't) can't you select and delete multiple patches at one time??

Anthony

if I could open it and edit it but not save what help is that?
=======================================================

Easy. Shareware is a "try and see" system. It demonstrates it can edit ANY level. Various editors have limits in resources (as we see in DCK) or they can't display large maps - like WadAuthor. Then you can run all the error checks and just play around in general.

The various Windows DeePsea Wad Tools (NOT DOS DeeP which is different) now can operate on your loaded level(s) and have no restrictions - so it's nice to be able to load any level. That's why I said one could customize the textures without too much trouble from DeePsea.

As I explained below, this consists of 2 parts. First, the TEXTUREx and PNAMES lumps have to be modified (get rid of names not wanted to get it smaller). Then the individual lumps representing those "patches" have to be messed with. (There are 2 ways to do this, I just picked the one easiest to explain.)

Exporting the patches desired can be done by multi-selecting all of them (as you correctly state) and click the LMP button and save them all in some directory. Then Import all these LMP "patches" and the new TEXTUREx/PNAMES to make a new merged texture PWAD and it's done. One can multi-select all this in the Open Dialog, so it goes fast and easy.

The next release makes it a bit tidier and nicer. All the "patches" can be placed in one PWAD, rather than having them export as separate files. So then one just Imports (merges) 2 files. There is also a TEXTURE/PNAMES check that makes sure you didn't forget something or leave something in that's not required.

Swedish Fish said:

I just made my own, you lazy bums. Cut out the textures/flats you don't want/will never use using WINTEX. Oh yeah Anthony, I suppose I should send you dmdq3dm1.wad, shouldn't I? :)