Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ViperBoy

Surprises in my map (somebody help me)

I'm making a map using Wadauthor 1.30.. I want to make a door that only opens when a player crosses a linedef or sector (whichever one it is) how ? I'm guessing it has something to do with sector/linedef tags 'n' stuff

ViperBoy said:

I want to make a door that only opens when a player crosses a linedef or sector (whichever one it is) how?

You'll need to set it up so that the door opens when a linedef is crossed. Assign a sector tag to the door. Double-click your mouse on the linedef that you want to trigger the door opening. For ZDooM-configured WadAuthor, in the Map Object Properties window that pops up for Linedefs/Sidedefs, look under "Class" and select "Door". Select what you want (e.g., Door_Open(tag, speed)) and select "Player Crosses" in the selection menu at the bottom right-hand corner of the Properties window. If the door is one that opens and shuts, and you want it to be repeatable, select repeatable from the selection menu at the bottom of the Properties window. Hit "OK" and you're done.

For DooM2-configured WadAuthor, in the Map Object Properties window that pops up for Linedefs/Sidedefs, look under "Class" and select "Remote Door". Select from the W1 or WR choices in the "Type" menu. W1 will perform the action once, WR will perform it every time the player crosses the line. Put the sector tag for the door into the "Sector Tag" menu in the bottom right corner of the Properties window. Hit "OK" and you're done.

Guest fragg

Wow, thanx from me also, ReX....
a valuable piece of "instructional-data" (copied, filed, in my "Editing" loose-leaf binder. Hmm, the darn thing is growing!<g>).
fragg

ReX was very nice for posting the answer (so don't take this wrong), however, these kind of questions are completely covered in both WadAuthor's and DeePsea's online help - not to mention lots of other editors and resources.

So to all of you who are starting out making levels (I almost said ... <g>), editing is very easy -IF- you learn the basics.

The linedef/sector tag and linedef type relationship to "actions" is about as basic as it gets:))

It will help you enormously to spend some time browsing the help files, especially the overview sections. Trust me, this will pay back in spades. The overviews are not that long and there are sample levels to make the connections not so abstract.

Both of us spent a lot of time making those help files - Windows help files are not "that" easy to make (that's why we spent a He$$ of a lot of money on Robo/Ehelp).

/end