Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Leeoniya

deh patches for tnt + plutonia??

Guest Leeoniya

how do the the deh patches for plutonia and tnt change the wads to display the right names/numbers when running Doom Legacy......will i still be able to play the wads without legacy after applying the patches?

thx.

They don't change the wads at all.

Its a while since I used legacy, but if memory serves, they just allow legacy to modify the text displayed on the map screen to show the correct map name, nothing else. This is something the executable file does itself as a result of the patch being loaded. The wad file is completely untouched, and running legacy without the patch on the command line later will just go back to showing the map names previously shown. I.e. there is no permanent change to the exe either.

Guest Leeoniya

i read the DeHacked readme and FAQ, and it says you have to use the "w" parameter to make the changes permanent in the exe, but will this also work in the version 3.0 of legacy which also has this problem? although the patches were designed for an earlier version?

thx.

Sorry I missed your question, hence the late reply.

The answer is no, at least about permanently changing legacy.

The original dehacked used to be able to save the modifications it could make to the EXE as deh files or patches. These, latterly were the text format deh type of files that you have for TNT and Plutonia. As I understand it, Id did not want modified versions of the actual EXE floating around, so people used to distribute the deh files which you then loaded into dehacked and then hit W to write a new EXE. (or it could all be done from a command line parameter). This also meant small text files were distributed rather than large executable files.

Like I said, this process of loading and writing the DEH patch actually created an EXE file with a modified data structure. I.e., it hacked the EXE. Modern ports like Legacy do not have to be hacked like the old doom.exe, they can just load the deh file from the command line and apply the modifications on the fly.

Dehacked would not know how to modify the legacy EXE anyway as it was written after the last version of dehacked.

Some source ports (Zdoom for one, dunno about legacy) allow you to include your DEH files as a lump in a wad file that is automatically loaded and applied when the wad is loaded.

To get this to work, you would include the deh file as a lump called DEHACKED in your TNT or Plutonia wad. DeePsea or Wintex, and some others can do this for you. This would change your WAD files. Any source port that supports the inclusion of a DEHACKED lump would then load the modified data.

Of course, most source ports correctly show the TNT and Plutonia level names anyway, so this would not be needed. I am surprised legacy doesn't as this has been known about for some time. Are you sure it hasn't been fixed? Anyway, this is the only way I can think of making dehacked changes "permenant" in a source port and I don't know if legacy supports it.