Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LordTrasher

Doom kicks Quake and Quake 2's arse - official

In Australian mag PC Powerplay (One of the big mags over here) in their Top 100 Games, While Quake and Quake 2 didn't get on the list, Ultimate Doom came in at number 99. The editors also included this footnote about there being Doom, but no Quake...

"Well it's like this. Once a game gets a little long in the tooth, no matter how classic it once was, it becomes a lot easier to disregard technology of a title and focus on the core gameplay. And the simple PCPP opinion is: Doom has better gameplay than Quake. More monsters, more interesting enviroments, better puzzles, better weapons, and since you can get 16 and 32 connect multiplayer mods these days, let the good, retro times roll!"

Q3A came in at number 15. The number one title was Neverwinter Nights.

Q3A at 15 and Doom at 99, wow what a great list.

Every single "list of best games ever" article in a game magazine is full of crap and only there to sell magazines anyway. But that's just some retarded stuff right there? And NWN #1? Didn't it JUST COME OUT? Talk about blatant.

Every single "list of best games ever" article in a game magazine is full of crap and only there to sell magazines anyway.

The Swedish magazine Super Play made a list of the top 50 console games of all times like a year ago, and I think it was surprisingly accurate. Though Super Metroid should've been in the top 10 and not #13 :P

I believe it was gamespy who put doom on the number one place in their top 5, or was it 10?

Really? Well I'm holding another top 100 PC games, also by PC Powerplay Australia, and it has Doom (Series) at #7 and Quake (Series) at #2 (Deus Ex #1), And I can't see PC Powerplay putting Q3A over doom... no way in hell.

orion said:

I believe it was gamespy who put doom on the number one place in their top 5, or was it 10?

Well. A lot of those lists have DOOM as #1, afaik.

Gamespy ranked Doom pretty high. I think it was in the top 5. Either way, yes, Doom kicks the shit out of all of those games, and the reasons are better gameplay, better design, less bugs, AND it's the easiest to modify. No C code, just dehacked. Or EDGE, which is just as easy and many times more powerful.

The UK edition of PC Gamer does two top 100's each year. The first one is decided by the staff, and then a couple of months later they have the other one, this time decided by the readers.

Some of the differences of opinion between public and games journalists are extremely... interesting. The vast majority of the public seem to vote for the "game of the moment" while the writers seem more able to cast their minds back to older games.

Linguica said:

Q3A at 15 and Doom at 99, wow what a great list.

Every single "list of best games ever" article in a game magazine is full of crap and only there to sell magazines anyway. But that's just some retarded stuff right there? And NWN #1? Didn't it JUST COME OUT? Talk about blatant.

Precicely what I was thinking. Anything that ranks Q3A higher than either its predicessors or Doom is total crap.

pilottobombadier said:

Gamespy ranked Doom pretty high. I think it was in the top 5.

yeah, doom was number 1, I ignore most top game lists because usually I end up being pissed off anyone could be as stupid as to give a particular game a rating while another game did worse. They're crap, that's that.

Linguica said:

Every single "list of best games ever" article in a game magazine is full of crap and only there to sell magazines anyway.

They have legal, retail games free on their cover CDs. A few months back it was unreal, last month it was CnC (The GDI campaign) and this month it was Rainbow 6. Something tells me that if they want to sell mags, they don't really need to chuck on a top 100!

And for anyone's info, to be eligable, the game still had to be on sale.

PCPP sucks balls. Wow they have free games! They are only like 5 million years old. And if you don't have the latest PC with whizbang GeForce Ultra mEga champion edition you suck.

I hate them.

Plus they still haven't given GooberMan his CPU. Bastards.

Doom at #99?

Die.

I order you to pound their skulls with sharp copper tubing until they make it no.1 in their worthless list.

I'll probably get flamed here, but some people need to get over the fact that Doom is no longer the best game in existence. I mean, it's been almost a decade now!

Just sticking with FPS games, IMHO Half-life and Jedi Knight 2 both far suprass it in almost every way. If you want to include all genres, I think that Thief 1 & 2, System Shock 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 are all better than Doom.

Don't get me wrong, Doom definitely should be in any top 10, but it's no longer the best game around.

NiGHTMARE said:

I'll probably get flamed here, but some people need to get over the fact that Doom is no longer the best game in existence. I mean, it's been almost a decade now!

Blasphemy.

NiGHTMARE said:

Just sticking with FPS games, IMHO Half-life and Jedi Knight 2 both far suprass it in almost every way. If you want to include all genres, I think that Thief 1 & 2, System Shock 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 are all better than Doom.

Don't get me wrong, Doom definitely should be in any top 10, but it's no longer the best game around.

Half Life is one of those 2 games you were talking about that I've played, the demo, in the least. To me, I don't quite understand why would you rank that game this high in your list. Without doubt, speaking and other related animations capabilities between character have rised up the bar of its atmosphere as the story is nearly a rip-off of Doom's story..aliens broken into the lab and you are the only hero of humanity who can save the world...ta da ta da...however, imho, the gameplay of Half Life is total crap. No offense, but the weapons they have created seem way too lame, except crowbar which was really impressed me a lot, but singleplayer playability is dumb, though, with crappy design on those aliens :/

NiGHTMARE said:
I'll probably get flamed here, but some people need to get over the fact that Doom is no longer the best game in existence.

yeah but its still nice to open the door on map 16 and mow down that herd of imps all the while knowing that Quake can't handle having that many monsters in the same room and expect to run decently.

NiGHTMARE said:

the writers seem more able to cast their minds back to older games.

Not so with PCPP. Their past few "best 100" seem to have games from the past 2 years, filled with the rare 5-10 year old game (WHY DON'T THEY PUT MONKEY ISLAND 2 ON THE TOP 100 LISTS????)

And yeah, the bastards at PCPP STILL haven't delivered that processor, and they STILL havent responded to my emails and voicemails. Do yourself a favour all you Aussies and boycott the bastards, cos they'll reward your years of reading with nothing when you decide to write a Letter-Of-The-Month winning letter and send it in.

NiGHTMARE said:

There are a few games better than Doom. Civilization 3, Planescape Torment and Quake 2 all rank above it on my list.

GooberMan said:

Do yourself a favour all you Aussies and boycott the bastards

Way ahead of ya Goob, PCPP suck balls.

I like PC World better, they have some pretty good freeware...and they have the latest demos, so I don't have to download them :P

Half-Life, System Shock 2, MOH:AA, Champ Manager, Shogun: TW are a few games that are much better than Doom.

Doom is still fun to play, and still a good game, but pretending that it is better than more recent games is just being overly nostalgic and stubbornly sticking an outdated rhetoric.

Captain Red's top ten PC FPS:

1)System shock 2
2)Half-Life
3)Quake 1
4)Doom (all of them with ZdoomGL)
5)Return to Castle Wolfenstine
6)Deus Ex
7)Unreal
8)Thief
9)Jedi Knight. (NOT JEDI OUTCAST)
10)Aliens Vs Predator (both)

All of the above are based on single player alone. I'll almost certainly change as soon as I get my hands on Medal of honour: Allied assault.

There are some games That I think are alittle over rated:

Soldier of Fortune (the mortal kombat of FPS)
Jedi outcast (sure the light saber Rocks, but the level design bites)
Counter-Strike (Kick ass at LAN partys, Lame as hell Online)
Quake II (Wich seems to be beloved by more then a few doomworlders.)

top FPS, any list that deviates greatly from this is a "best fps of last week" not best fps of all time.

Doom - GREATLY enhanced graphics, introduced concept of multiplayer fps
Wolf3D - the first famous successful 3dfps
Quake - GREATLY enhanced graphics
Heretic - introduced concept of medieval fps
QuakeWorld - first sunccessful interweb multiplayer fps
Strife - introduced RPGlike fps

now i'm not saying that your list has to be exactly mine, but if it shows large differences than you're just listing whatever has the latest greatest eye candy.

note that doom and quake i listed both partly by eye candy, i justify this because they were both greatly advanced from any previous eyecandy. quake3 doesnt look much better than quake2 for example.

i give a "near miss" to the whole build series: the engine features are superior to doom, although it does run a bit slower on most systems. unfortunately 3d realms dragged their heels on dn3d (as they seem to love to do) and doom was quite big by the time duke got out on the streets.

Yeah, I've stopped reading PCPowerplay as well, I mean I still read it, just not as often. Atomic is my favourite now. Damn, thats a kickass magazine :D

NiGHTMARE said:

You WILL get flamed and righly so you turd-heap!! :P

Just because a game gets older detracts nothing from it's rating. Space Invaders may be 20 years older than Quake 3, but guess what! It's still better!

It is unfair and meaningless to judge a game solely on the restraints of it's own epoch.

PS. Doom still owns all. =)

Modern FPS's (Quake 2, Half-Life, Unreal, Sin etc.) have better graphics and atmosphere yes, but DooM, Heretic, Hexen and Duke all have fast and furious gameplay that seems to have been forgotten by games developers these days.

Modern FPS's are not better than DooM, just different. Personally, I like them all, but nothing will ever be like DooM. (ie. thousands of levels on the web, and making your own levels being relatively easy)

Mind you, Heretic can be as good as DooM at times (when playing the right sort of levels)

Also, I think Sin is underrated. (admittedly lacks on the gameplay side, but great graphics, sounds, locations and atmosphere)