Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

QDoom

I just realized, it's May!!

... Isn't QDoom supposed to be out pretty soon? What about the really awesome thing that's almost as awesome as QDoom? Wasn't that supposed to be out a few weekends ago?

Yeah, I think that really awesome thing was the EDGE engine...

Guest Fanatic

Yeah, the other thing was EDGE and the what now appears to be defunct RTS and DDF online editors. The structure is having major reworking plans, stuff you won't really see as a user. So I would have to rewrite all that delicious javascript and forms.

It was educational anyway.

But, I'm rather surprised at the low interest in EDGE.

The thing that's coming up, you will like for sure. I might announce and release it tonight unless I get any complaints from the other people involved.

Here's a clue: Q***M P****C T**T

See if you can figure it out. :)

Q***M P****C T**T = QDOOM *something* TEST. I give up on the second word.

By the way, the angry face is still about how this forum is a ripoff.

Fanatic said:

Yeah, the other thing was EDGE and the what now appears to be defunct RTS and DDF online editors. The structure is having major reworking plans, stuff you won't really see as a user. So I would have to rewrite all that delicious javascript and forms.

The thing that's coming up, you will like for sure. I might announce and release it tonight unless I get any complaints from the other people involved.

I think the reason for lack of interest in EDGE, mine included, is that there aren't too many examples of what the engine is capable of in terms of what you have been doing with QDoom. I am sure once QDoom or Covert Ops are released and people pull apart those WADs and see how stuff is done, there will be a big surge of interest in EDGE. ZDoom didn't exactly catch on as a popular port until a while after it was released. And Rick Clark's tutorials helped that greatly.

Q***M P****C T**T = QDOOM PICNIC TEST! It's picnic I know it. Anyway, these emoticon images are freaking me out... and Marc I think it would be better to release QDOOM full rather than a small demo. :/

Fanatic said:

Well Fanatic how are 3d floors done? There isn't any documentation... I looked at the Covert Ops demo map in Deth and it looked to be a 243 linedef special but when I tried it in a map it never worked.. it's like you set the properties for the 'void' from what I understand. I imagine once documentation and better examples pop up then development for EDGE will pick up. Hurry up and finish QDOOM you bastard. ;)

Guest Fanatic

I'm actually working on tutorials right now. :)

I have a good slew planned for all kind of kick ass EDGE features. One note, the new line type you found in Covert Ops will require you load the Covert DDF's instead of the standard EDGE DDF's. I have over 100 new line types defined in QDOOM's DDF's that are unique to QDOOM. Over half of them are for custom events. That 3D elevator I showed a while back uses about 12 custom line triggers alone.

I'll get the tutorials done by this weekend, soyou should have a lot better luck using EDGE's features.

Afterglow said:

Well Fanatic how are 3d floors done? There isn't any documentation... I looked at the Covert Ops demo map in Deth and it looked to be a 243 linedef special but when I tried it in a map it never worked.. it's like you set the properties for the 'void' from what I understand. I imagine once documentation and better examples pop up then development for EDGE will pick up. Hurry up and finish QDOOM you bastard. ;)

I figured this one out by farting around in DeePsea with the Covert Ops demo.

The dummy sector's cieling is the other sector's higher floor, and the dummy sector's floor is the other's lower cieling. This goes for height and texture.

Guest Fanatic

You are correct.

The dummy sector controls the 3D floor in the real sector, you just match up the line trigger and sector trigger #'s (like making a remote door sort of).

The dummy sectors floor sets the 3D floors bottom, and the dummy sectors ceiling sets the 3D floors top.

Same with textures -dummy floor=3D bottom, dummy ceiling=3D top, and the line of the dummy sector that is tagged with the extrafloor special line type controls the texture on the side of the 3D floor in the real sector.

Hyena said:

Q***M P****C T**T = QDOOM *something* TEST. I give up on the second word.

By the way, the angry face is still about how this forum is a ripoff.

what are you talking about ripoff? The damn thing is free to all. Now shut up about that alreaady, it's getting old.