Ideas

Guest aaa

Anyone have any good ideas for WADS? I cant think anymore
Please email to XOOZ@aol.com

thank you

aaa said:

Anyone have any good ideas for WADS? I cant think anymore

Here is a backstory:

Ten years ago a strange plague surfaced in Africa. It spread quickly into Europe, then America and finally across the globe. Millions died. Those that didn’t die were changed in horrible ways. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) worked around the clock to identify the plague agent. The answer finally came and it wasn’t what they has expected.

The disease agent was a human engineered virus that changed its host DNA. Most victims died from the alterations. Some however, were changed into hideous, rage filled monsters. Most weren’t even recognizable as human.

The virus also has something else: a message. Buried within the DNA of the virus were coordinates of a lab and this message:

"Hello. How do you like my little present? Just a little something for this evil world. There is an antidote, if you can get it. Why don’t you come pay me a visit and I may give it to you. Maybe. See you soon."

What is left of the government decides to send in a lone agent to recover the antidote and help save mankind. Time is of the essence. The world is dying and there may not be a tomorrow.

Level ideas:

Map01: Outside the complex. The helicopter lands outside a remote lab in the jungles of Africa. You must get inside the complex.
Map02: Storage. You gain entry into the complex via the storage facility.
Map03: Grounds. After the storage facility, you explore the grounds looking for a entrance into the labs.
Map04: Air ducts. You get into the labs through the air ventilation system.
Map05: Level One. You have gotten into the lab, but you must find the main computer systems.
Map06: Generating Complex: You have stumbled into the generating plant. Through here you can find the main labs.
Map07: Main labs. You face your ultimate challenge. The creator of the virus who has himself become a monster.

Guest giltygear

Now THATS what a backstory should be. If I had the time and patience, I'd really get to work on it, but I got my own level to worry about so I won't be doing that anytime soon.

Now as for you... Do you ever sleep?! You are the most active DooMer I have ever seen. I think you take vacations from your job for the sole purpose of making levels. I don't see anything wrong with that, I think it kicks ass. You have my undying respect and admiration, sir. Thank you.

Guest giltygear

You're following me, aren't you? Every arcade I go to, there's yer damn name, mocking me. "HA HA! YOU'LL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS ME, 'AAA'"

But anyway, I got a similiar problem. my level takes place in a sewage treatment plant on a distant planet, but thats all I can come up with for a story.

giltygear said:

Now THATS what a backstory should be. If I had the time and patience, I'd really get to work on it, but I got my own level to worry about so I won't be doing that anytime soon.

Now as for you... Do you ever sleep?! You are the most active DooMer I have ever seen. I think you take vacations from your job for the sole purpose of making levels. I don't see anything wrong with that, I think it kicks ass. You have my undying respect and admiration, sir. Thank you.

You know what I find works best... just start making a map and do the story afterwards or as the build progresses.

Story? Who needs a story? Doom and Doom PWADs isn't supposed to have a story! It's against the laws of nature!

Wildman said:

woah, and I bet you thought of that on the fly too :P

Mantra said:

woah, and I bet you thought of that on the fly too :P

Actually, yes it just came off the top. Thats why it is a bit rough.

grul said:

Story? Who needs a story? Doom and Doom PWADs isn't supposed to have a story! It's against the laws of nature!

Structured settings then.

Guest Sethsez
Wildman said:

Why does that remind me of the Resident Evil series?

Lüt said:

Structured settings then.

How about trying to think of something that no one else has done before? Don't use a standard theme, invent your own. I've been playing Doom for years, and I've noticed all the levels are starting to look the same(tech base, hell, gothic, ect.) Right now, I'm working on a level idea that hasn't to my knowledge ever been done, and even though it's strange, it's also kind of fun to make, and definitely different than the normal Doom experience.

I'd be interested in making another DOOM episode, true to the episode 2 and 3 nature. Since I didn't like episode 4 too much, I was thinking replace it with another episode much like episode 2 and 3 since the atmosphere of those two was so well done. Change the sky from orange to black and red - better yet, make it like the sky when you win episode 3 and you see the bunny on a spike - that sky would work well. If anyone is interested in this task, let me know. I'm not the greatest level designer, but since the episode would be based on an already existing premise, it shouldn't be too hard to pull off.