Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Espi

The BIGGEST doom level ever

I mean a single-player level for doom 1 that is HUGE. I would love to play one.

Guest Ty Halderman

Physically huge, like really big, or one that just is so complex that it takes a long time to play? The latter is easy--just play some of the monster levels in Eternal DOOM.

For the physically huge, wide open expanses, etc. you have one limitation, which is the blockmap size. With DOOM[2] it is limited to 64K in size; Boom and other engines have increased that to 128K by using some unsigned vs. signed integers. Take the height vs. width rounded up to a 64 grid, and divide those by 64. Then multiply those results to get the area. If you're over 64K, you need an extended port, and if over 128K you're not going to be able to make it work. For reference, a 64K blockmap is the equivalent of a 16384x16384 square in Doom map units, and 128K is a 23170-unit square.

There's a discussion about that (related to a different problem though) on rec.games.computer.doom.editing.

If that's more technical than you needed to know (heh) then just know that there are limitations and that's the main reason you don't see huge levels. Besides, the Doomguy doesn't run fast enough to make really huge levels anything but a 20-minute run around the perimeter...

there was one map...it was really huge..i think it was made for one of the doom source ports...ive been looking for it..but i cant find it...iit was so huge that you cant really see the other side of the map...it was set in a ravine type setting...

Ty Halderman said:

Hey I just downloaded eternal doom yesterday! Gotta go play it more now, to find those big maps! Anyway the kind of big level I mean, a good example is in ftp.cdrom.com it's for doom1 and called something like ss_27bet2. If anyone knows of another level kinda like that but even larger, or if there's a finished version of that level somewhere, that's what I want to know of. And I like doom1 levels more that doom2.

BuffGUh said:

there was one map...it was really huge..i think it was made for one of the doom source ports...ive been looking for it..but i cant find it...iit was so huge that you cant really see the other side of the map...it was set in a ravine type setting...

I remember the Bleeding Tower of Pisa being a huge level. It's one of at least a couple pisa.wads out there. I got it off a friend's PC Gamer CD.

Guest c-d-w

Complex.wad at Walnut Creek. It friggin massive!

Guest kggf

Hi, I have made a Huge level that I think you sould try. It is called underground.
I think you will be impressed
You can get it at my web site
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/doom/under

Mind you underground 2 (lava domane) I don't think is bigger than the original. Don't know why?

Tell me what you think.

c-d-w said:

Complex.wad at Walnut Creek. It friggin massive!

Hey, I'm glad someone tried out my level Complex.wad. Yes, indeed it is large. When I first started out the level I decided to use up as much of the WadAuthor editing grid as I could. Of course I didn't want a whole lot of empty space, so I tried to fill it up with buildings that fit in with the theme. However, I must admit that towards the end I thought I'd run out of ideas, and things started getting difficult. On the whole, however, I am very pleased with the final map (which needs ZDooM or a port to run).

Guest spacedog
Gokuma said:

I remember the Bleeding Tower of Pisa being a huge level. It's one of at least a couple pisa.wads out there. I got it off a friend's PC Gamer CD.

My level Doesn't coever a really large area but it is about 440k when you take out the textures and it has exactly 666 sectors (ooh spooky)

it's at www.studio.club24.co.uk/badger1.zip

Oh, by the way, i also got complex.wad and it is rather groovy, although i got distracted by the batman TC and haven't completed it yey

The last two levels of Millennium are probably two of the biggest I have seen. I haven't tried all the levels listed below yet but I guarantee they will be two of the biggest ones ever, and quite a blast on co-op.

This is, of course, once I finish mine ;)

Guest malcolm

Whats the deal with huge (by which I mean really long) doom levels? why does everyone like them so much? personally I'd rather play 5 levels that are each 1/5th the size...

Well, some feel that size DOES matter.

Guest malcolm

It does? Why? All a really huge level does is take a really long time to play through and limit the author's ability to do interesting things with the gameplay in terms of traps/whatever. (Ie. after you've been playing a level for an hour already, you're gonna be damn pissed off if some really suprising trap kills you) It also makes it much harder to balance the ammo and health. Consequently, most of the very large levels I've played tend to have rather repetitive gameplay and way too much ammo and health... in my opinion. My point is just that size is not an asset in and of itself, and if not handled well it can cause defects.

What you say is true enough. I was being subtle (and not very seroius) about another, less doomy matter. At least I made you make your point even clearer :-) Hey I hope to see more of your maps, they're quite good.

Lüt said:

The last two levels of Millennium are probably two of the biggest I have seen. I haven't tried all the levels listed below yet but I guarantee they will be two of the biggest ones ever, and quite a blast on co-op.

This is, of course, once I finish mine ;)

Speaking of Millennium, what happened to it? I though it was supposed to be almost done or something.

kggf said:

Hi, I have made a Huge level that I think you sould try. It is called underground.
I think you will be impressed
You can get it at my web site
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/doom/under

Mind you underground 2 (lava domane) I don't think is bigger than the original. Don't know why?

Tell me what you think.

Where can I find this Legacy thingy to play your level?

ReX said:

Hey, I'm glad someone tried out my level Complex.wad. Yes, indeed it is large. When I first started out the level I decided to use up as much of the WadAuthor editing grid as I could. Of course I didn't want a whole lot of empty space, so I tried to fill it up with buildings that fit in with the theme. However, I must admit that towards the end I thought I'd run out of ideas, and things started getting difficult. On the whole, however, I am very pleased with the final map (which needs ZDooM or a port to run).

Where can I find complex.wad?

Military Research Complex can be found at:
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/doom2/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/complex.zip
Please note that it requires a source port (such as
ZDooM) to play, otherwise DooM will crash with
vis_plane overflows. Also, as the level requires
jumping to progress, you will need a source port that
allows jumping (such as ZDooM). Enjoy!