Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Epistax

Edge edge edge. Edge?

Guest Epistax

Ok everyone everywhere in all of the forums keep talking about edge. I looked on the doomworld links and downloads pages. Doesn't exist.

The way people are talking, Edge is the best thing since the knife that cut bread before you bought it from the store.

Could someone give me a nice link, or at least tell me what it is?

Guest c-d-w

edge.sourceforge.net

A doom source port that allows extensive modification through simple text files.

You poor soul, EDGE stands for "Enhanced Doom Gaming Engine" and the thing that is so revolutionary about it is that it uses something called "DDF" files which have pretty much buried DeHacked 6' under. "DDF"s are a form of script (nowhere near as hard as Quake C was, I could never learn QC) that completely take over for the stuff that used to bee in the .exe file. Things like monsters, weapons, attacks, sounds, levels, that text thats at vital points in the game, etc. And the good thing is that it's so simple a kid could understand it + you can add things in that were not even there before (you can have 15 different weapons at the same time if you want, new monsters that do not replace old ones, new sounds, you get the picture!). EDGE I believe is at "http://edge.soundforge.net" and if it changes just go to yahoo and type EDGE doom.

Another outdated lookalike that edge is actually based upon is "DosDoom". You see, I prefer dosdoom because it has almost everything edge has in ddfs but dosdoom works, edge is still in alpha testing and crashes often. Actually I think it has everything except boucing of projectiles and some other things I can bear to live w/o. I do not know if Dosdoom v0.653 can be had anywhere anymore so if you ask I'll send the zip as an e-mail attachment (only about 700k).

Hope I have opened you eyes, I want everyone's minds to be expanded, not eaten like the zombies do (hehe).