Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Little Faith

D.A.R.E: Saying no to a career in the U.S. Air Force

It has been leaked to the press that US bomber pilots on mission has been ordered to take amphetamine before bombing runs.

While the policy makes excellent tactical sense it doesn't really really fit that well with US drug policy in general.

Andy Fox said:

Uh some amphetamines are legal IIRC. Lets ask orion ;)

Yes amphetamines are legal in the USA, however they are a controlled substance and you generally need a perscription for them. People with ADD/ADDHD often are perscrbied to Adderal, Dexedrine or Ritalin which is a methylphenidate. And obviously it is possible that you could abuse them (that's where I come in =] hehe).

However I can see at what they're getting at. The soldiers probably don't have a health situation that would REQUIRE them to take the drugs. They just probably should do it to get 'high' off of them so they can be more aware and think clearer. And yes, a Ritalin 'high' is like that, I used them in school on tests before to help me do better, and it did help. Now who says I don't take my school work seriously? =]

orion said:

Yes amphetamines are legal in the USA, however they are a controlled substance and you generally need a perscription for them. People with ADD/ADDHD often are perscrbied to Adderal, Dexedrine or Ritalin which is a methylphenidate. And obviously it is possible that you could abuse them (that's where I come in =] hehe).

However I can see at what they're getting at. The soldiers probably don't have a health situation that would REQUIRE them to take the drugs. They just probably should do it to get 'high' off of them so they can be more aware and think clearer. And yes, a Ritalin 'high' is like that, I used them in school on tests before to help me do better, and it did help. Now who says I don't take my school work seriously? =]

Heh, I take Adderal. Anyway, I was pretty sure you would know about this ;)

The thing with US drug policy: There are no out-and-out banned drugs. Known drugs are assigned to a schedule (a rating) according to how useful they are and what potential for addiction and abuse they have. All of the major types of drugs have a few useful properties; even an extract of cocaine can be prescribed to help people with dulled senses.

The United States isn't worried about drugs that are prescribed and obtained legally, and these bomber pilots were checked out by Army doctors and given proper approval to use amphetamines as a combat drug. What the US is concerned about is the trafficking, sale, and use of controlled substances by illegal vendors and for non-legitimate purposes.

Heh, I never had to go on kiddie drugs. My mom almost got me on antidepressants back in middle school, but my dad and I talked her out of it. I do need alergy drugs, I'm taking stuff for my skin now, and as soon as that's finished I'll be on cholesterol drugs for the rest of my life. Bah.

Insomniac said:

Heh. Probably most of us have ADD/ADHD. I know I do

Yeh it seems to be quite common now and sometimes........oh look a butterfly.

IMJack said:

IMJacks sensible (as always) rant.

Your dad did the right thing. Psychoactive drugs tend to have different (and sparsely documented) effects on children. I remember a dentist once gave me some sleeping pills to calm me down (when I was a little child I was afraid of going to the dentist). Well, the sleeping pills obviously backfired and I went speeding out of control running around screaming as a possessed.

Sorry from my lack of links, but I get my news from newspapers mainly.

The story didn't stress the fact that amphetamine was illegal as much as it might be one of the explanations of the many instances of off-target bombings.

Little Faith said:

Your dad did the right thing. Psychoactive drugs tend to have different (and sparsely documented) effects on children. I remember a dentist once gave me some sleeping pills to calm me down (when I was a little child I was afraid of going to the dentist). Well, the sleeping pills obviously backfired and I went speeding out of control running around screaming as a possessed.

Heh. Like when they made me take antidepressants. It did nothing to cure my depression, but I do believe it gave me some sort of attention disorder. Fucked with my head. Thats one of the reasons I don't trust prescription drugs nowadays.

Use3D said:

pheh add/adhd. the biggest excuses in the book

*nods*

Hey doctor, I've been having peoblems lately. Everything's fine for about 30 hours, but then I get real dizzy and then fall down unconcious for up to several hours at a time. Do you have any pills for that?

Insomniac said:
Heh. Probably most of us have ADD/ADHD. I know I do

Heh. me to. ADD Bites. I keep getting side tracked when I have more Important things to do. I.E. Right now I'm in the middle of a TAFE class. :)

I've been thinking about trying Adderal. Lord knows none of the drug free methods work for me. What kind of side affects dose it have?

You know what sucks? I've built a resistance to painkillers. This really sucks, especially when the dentist is about to do a filling and the Novocaine(sp?) ain't kicking in.

Little Faith said:

It has been leaked to the press that US bomber pilots on mission has been ordered to take amphetamine before bombing runs.

While the policy makes excellent tactical sense it doesn't really really fit that well with US drug policy in general.

That story is bullshit. It also makes no tactical sense whatsoever if you think about it. There isn't an armed forces in the world that even allows let alone orders its pilots to consume any sort of controlled substance before flying.

AD&D sucks. I'm so glad they upgraded to 3rd edition and dropped the 'A'. Oh wait, what were we talking about?

IMJack said:

You know what sucks? I've built a resistance to painkillers. This really sucks, especially when the dentist is about to do a filling and the Novocaine(sp?) ain't kicking in.

I thought I was alone... a dose that should kill a normal person bearly has an effect on me.