Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

Gangsta is notorius for being a post nazi, just ignore him!

zDoom is personally my favourite.

(Just kidding BBG!)

imo, mlook and jumping practically takes the doom feel out of the game, and gl mode ruins the fun. I am talking about Zdoom, Legacy, and EDGE.

Ya know, there are options to toggle these effects on and off in the above mentioned ports. Nothing says you have to use every single advanced feature. Hell, just look at me; the only reason I got ZDoom was to play BOOM and ZDoom WADs. Other than that, I don't use any advanced features unless the WAD I play is made to use those features.

So, in one sense, yes ports do take away the feel of the game, but only if you're using it to play regular Doom and Doom 2 WADs. Me, I'm all for source ports. If there's one philosophy I hold, it's that progress should not be halted or prevented.

Its cool. Um...you might want to delete this thread and move it to the polls forum.

are mods only allowed to do that?

are mods only allowed to do that?

Well, you can delete it and repost it in polls (which means none of these replies will exist anymore), or I can move this thread to polls now if you want.

Although thats just my opinion and the other ports makes Doom act like Quake, and I really hate all quake games with a passion.

Hey, Kaiser, then what are you doing over quake3world? :D

well im with you too, i hate zdoom that people using mouselook, or even jumping, which jumping seems sorta acceptable to me but not necessary to use it in Doom. However if you wanna play in oldschool style with zdoom, go to console command by pressing tile "`", type dmflags 200708 to eliminate the options of jumping/mouselook/items respawn, or you might prefer to use vanilla doom2.exe port, it's the best of all and original :)

mlook and jumping practically takes the doom feel out of the game, and gl mode ruins the fun

Uhm, no one's forcing you to use those features...

Anyway my favorite port is ZDoom, second being EDGE. I like the original doom(2).exe best tho. :)

I must confess...I've never owned doom.exe or doom2.exe. I started out with Doom95, but I was only 13 or 14 at the time. IMO, it wasn't too bad. Of course, the only real bad thing is that I can't make any DeHackEd patches, since DeHackEd fucking requires doom.exe and doom2.exe!!!!!!!! I hate it when most DOOM related stuff fucking ASSUMES that every DOOMer has those old DOS .exes! Oh well, no use ranting and raving about it now.

well im with you too, i hate zdoom that people using mouselook, or even jumping,

Fucking christ. Maybe because it's a superior aiming device that causes havoc among the keyboard users? :P

Why are you complaining that they assume you have the DOS exes. If you have doom95 then you must have gotten the installer, and the installer contains the DOS exes as well. Just go into your CD-Rom drive with MS-Dos prompt.

Zdoom is the one I use the most because I run under Win2k now (my old Win95 pisses me off...)
but I never used the jumping option 'cause it breaks some levels progress...
(some keys and secrets might be taken by this way so...)

I've tried Zdoom gl but I didn't like it very much.
(That's not a critic, they've done a real good work that I never be able to do)

I like the new stuffs in Zdoom beta like bullet holes, blood spattered walls and "jumping" items when you blow up a bad guy.
It's fun to play Doom this way.
And bonus, Doom 1 & 2 are translated in French under Zdoom beta !
A nice surprise for me !

Personally, my #1 fave port right now is Legacy. Then ZDoom, then EDGE.

If you have doom95 then you must have gotten the installer, and the installer contains the DOS exes as well. Just go into your CD-Rom drive with MS-Dos prompt.

***BUZZ!!!*** SORRY! WRONG ANSWER!!!!!! I just tried that today, and all typing "M:\setup.exe" did was bring me to the installer for Doom95. "install.exe" doesn't work. Maybe you felt that since Hexen95 had the DOS only version on it, Doom95 did too. Sorry.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because I'm still able to play all the stuff I want to. I don't plan to make any DeHackEd patches any time soon.

Whenever I feel like just playing doom for some reason, I use ZDoom. It has replaced my normal doom2.exe, basically.
ZDoom rules.

Although thats just my opinion and the other ports makes Doom act like Quake, and I really hate all quake games with a passion.

Hey, Kaiser, then what are you doing over quake3world? :D

pissing everyone over there off.

they hate me and I think they are a bunch of idiotic low lifes. And it shows, their maturity level is that of a child. And the folks from the R&R section are complete morons.

I am wreaking havoc over there untill I get bant.

Most people have done a best source port, I wanted to do the opposite, oh, and if you think my Sig is nasty, then tell me and I will change it okay?

Voting for JDOOM as the worst source port clearly shows retardness.

It also shows people might want the ability to turn the dazed-and-confused option off (un-blur the game).

Dammit, all those SPs are good ones.
You want bad?
Try rorDoom, or an older version of Vavoom.

Dammit, all those SPs are good ones.
You want bad?
Try rorDoom, or an older version of Vavoom.

whats wrong with rordoom?

whats wrong with rordoom?

Julian himself said it's the worst port ever made.

The worst in what way? My worst experience has been with ZDoomGL,I ended up having to reformat my hard drive as a result!It took me ages before I even considered trying it again and it still makes me nervous and crashes almost every other time.I'm also very lazy and can never be bothered to use the command line in MSDOS,so unless I have to (which actually is quite often for demos mainly) I never use any port that requires it for normal play.Graphically vanilla Doom has got to be the worst and is also the poorest in terms of options,but it's the real game of course.BOOM and Zdoom seem to be the fastest in terms of FPS and this makes a difference to the gameplay/timing.