Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lazer

Underworld BETA release 1 out!

After hours of trying to get the install.bat file to work, I FINALLY have a BETA version out for testing/enjoying! Some features inlcude:

-New music
-Finished levels 1-5
-Flamethrower on map 5
-Unfinished Pentagram weapon (but you can get it using IDFA)
-A few new textures

You CAN beat these levels without cheats. I hope everyone tries/tests this for me and gives me some feedback.
Get it at:
http://www.devin-afshin.com/DDU/DDUMain.htm

Just finished playing through the beta. Not too bad at all. The ammo balance is good. In the first map, there's only enough to kill the enemies that actually shoot you, which makes you rely on your trusty fists to kill all the demons and spectres... nice :) In later stages, I found myself hoarding it, then loosing it when I'd face several big enemies at once.
The architecture is alright, but it does suffer from Empty Big Open Area syndrome in some parts of it. Also, some of the monsters are stuck in the walls, and texture alignment also needs to be worked on in some areas.
Is this just going to be a plain map/new weapon conversion or will there be a bit of a story behind it?

Thanks for playing it! Here are my replies for some of your comments:

-------------------------------------------
The architecture is alright, but it does suffer from Empty Big Open Area syndrome in some parts of it. Also, some of the monsters are stuck in the walls, and texture alignment also needs to be worked on in some areas.
Yes that is a problem... I will eventually go back and fix those problems. Since this has been a one man project so far I have been rushing. Any level donations or interest in joining to make some new textures/graphics/enemies will be a big help!

Also, some of the monsters are stuck in the walls, and texture alignment also needs to be worked on in some areas.
Those are some of the slight glitches I have. I know of one so far(enemies) and some texture problems, but I will go back through on all of the skill levels(to check for enemy glitches) and fix those things up.

Is this just going to be a plain map/new weapon conversion or will there be a bit of a story behind it?
I do have a story for it. The last boss will be a very dark colored baron with red shots. I'm going to try to make the pain frame a counter attack (this could be a first! Has anyone seen that done?). Also the laser weapon will make little sparks fall off of the shots which will not shoot as fast and will be more like plasma shots (see D2xgold).

I don't think you can do that with DeHackEd. You'd probably have to try out DoomScript when it comes out for ZDoom (if ya haven't guessed I prefer ZDoom over all the other ports). Unsure if EDGE's DDF will let you do it as I haven't looked in to EDGE editing. Another question: Will you be sticking with plain DOOM2.EXE or expanding for a specific port?

I think you can. Just set its pain frame as an attack frame and make sure when the attack frame ends it goes back to the walking frame.

Yes, that will become a very good wad.
I played through very fast, and it was not a boring experience - it was an intensive experience. Very good use of elevators and bridges. Also nice dungeons. What are those "click" sounds when passing a bridge caused by? Most I liked level 4 - the large sewer is looking great. But some of the lamps in that level should be dragged into other positions since they are blocking players movements too often. Some of the large areas are too empty like GooberMan said before, but I guess it would be not too hard to fix. Overall I liked it very much. How many levels will your wad finally have?

Update: Forgotten to say that it run very well under Macintosh Doom, also the .deh file, try to keep it compatible with the original Doom exe.