Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bobo

IM SICK OF THE NEW DOOM LEVELS!!

Why is it that nearly all the Doom(2) wads made these days are so god damn boring?

Why is it that they all have the same 'medievel' style to them? you know, like coblestone walls, and all that yucky brown colouring to them. Whatever happened to the futuristic style wads? or the outer-space style?

i mean, look at Requiem for example. Doomworld was praising it. When i played the wad i was sick to death of it. Brown, brown, brown. Everywhere. i tell ya, Doom wads arent made like they used to.

Ya I know what you mean. Only so much of it is "amazing" and then after 3 megawad's worth it just gets boring. That's why Underworld(my project) is going to be pretty but it has a style that keeps it fast pace and interesting (many technical tricks). For example level nine(will be in beta 3) features:
-bridge
-2 way bridge
-4 way bridge!!!
-room over room look (see Requiem map 31)
-a dock like thingie where you can see under and over the floor you walk on.
-at least one lift similar to the above dock.
-some cool lifts.
-other tricks
I'm trying to think of a name for it. I'm thinking about "Mad Skills".

EDIT: Oh ya, go Icarus!

Well then bobo, to be on the safe side, don't download my wad.
You'll get "browned" to death, and you'll probably be so ticked off that you'll begin to haunt my threads constantly telling me how sucky my wad is until we're both red in the face.

...still interested Lazer???

Hey, they're just trying to imitate Id Software, who we all know are level-designing gods. Just look at Quake 1, and you'll notice that everything is brown and medieval. See, if it's good enough for Id, I guess that means it's good enough for everybody else, too.

Zeratul 982 said:

Well then bobo, to be on the safe side, don't download my wad.
You'll get "browned" to death, and you'll probably be so ticked off that you'll begin to haunt my threads constantly telling me how sucky my wad is until we're both red in the face.

...still interested Lazer???

I've played your WAD and it is different. It has more of that fast pace interesting style to it. I can't sit through levels that take over 5 minutes just to get to the blue key and spend to much time with the same structures and colors. I went through Gothic DM 1 and 2 not to play but for ideas, those levels were short and I had fun exploring. Now if they were not short and had room after room of dark brown all the same rooms I would get sick of them. Just play Requiem for a while and you will see what I mean.

Lazer said:

Ya I know what you mean. Only so much of it is "amazing" and then after 3 megawad's worth it just gets boring. That's why Underworld(my project) is going to be pretty but it has a style that keeps it fast pace and interesting (many technical tricks). For example level nine(will be in beta 3) features:
-bridge
-2 way bridge
-4 way bridge!!!
-room over room look (see Requiem map 31)
-a dock like thingie where you can see under and over the floor you walk on.
-at least one lift similar to the above dock.
-some cool lifts.
-other tricks
I'm trying to think of a name for it. I'm thinking about "Mad Skills".

EDIT: Oh ya, go Icarus!

yeah well im making a mega-Wad aswell called Equinox (i thought it was a kewl name). And since i hate old, brown stuff in doom wads, my wad is gonna be very metalic and futuristic. Hey! just yesterday i worked out how to make a ufo take off from the ground in doom! it looks kewl.

Let me guess, you have a small sector around it that is about 128 high with a ceiling texture of "sky", and the ufo is a sector that is 0 high. Then you just raise both ceilingas at the same time and it looks like a ufo taking off!

No not really. the UFO is 0 high? no way! its about 128 high and then it takes off to 1000 hight. but yeah, fine, you're basically right. But the damn thing is huge and looks good, OKAY!

Er, we made Requiem before Doomworld even existed. Most of the levels were designed in 1996 and it was released in 1997, so I don't know how you can call it a modern wad and say it's not one like they used to make...cos it *is* one of the ones we used to make. =). It's not all brown by any means, either...my map (29) is hell themed, there are several tech-themed maps (see map06 for eg)...