Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest covenant

help me decide which linux port

Guest covenant

I'd like two things:

1- Real fullscreen mode. Like the kind you get with svgalib or
SDL fullscreen.

2- mouse look. Being able to look/fire up and down.

lxdoom comes with lsdoom, but doesn't have mouselook. legacy doom comes with mouse look, but as far as i can see, you don't get real fullscreen. Instead, you have to match screen resolution with display size. The end result is pretty slow.

Any suggestions?

Well you've set yourself a tricky one.As you've described, nothing quite fits what you want. You have to choose between full screen, mlook, or non-free zdoom.

bitstate said:

"non-free zdoom"what?

http://www.opensource.org/osd.html - "6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor - The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a specific field of endeavor."

zdoom-1.22/code/docs/DOOMLIC.TXT - "2. Permitted Uses. For educational purposes only,..."

The ZDoom license is the original Doom source license, which is not an Open Source license (such programs are called "non-free" by Linux users). Most of the other ports are under the GPL.

boris said:

Wait a minute. Is ZDooM not GPL? I always though so...

No, as my quote shows :-). Nor can it be, because it includes material from Hexen which was only released under a highly restrictive license.

cph said:

http://www.opensource.org/osd.html - "6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor - The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a specific field of endeavor."

zdoom-1.22/code/docs/DOOMLIC.TXT - "2. Permitted Uses. For educational purposes only,..."

The ZDoom license is the original Doom source license, which is not an Open Source license (such programs are called "non-free" by Linux users). Most of the other ports are under the GPL.

"(such programs are called "non-free" by Linux users). "
hehe, to all other users i know, non-free means you have to pay for it ;o)

Btw , are you sure you've read the most recent documentation?, I'm almost certain zdoom is gpl or something similar, I do know though, that some older zdoom version aren't.
Take a look at the following statement at the "Source Ports and Source Code" thread here at doomworld.

"Now, my immediate reaction was "the GPL says he has to release it"; however, it seems that is not the case. This port is based off an older version of ZDoom, which wasn't under the GPL. This means that the author is NOT legally required to release the source code if he keeps the old license."

We must assume that this guy (prower) knows what hes talking about, and if thats the case, zdoom is free even to you linux users ;o)

I'm using the word "free" as in freedom, not price.

Yes, I downloaded the current ZDoom from zdoom.notgod.com to check the license. It's not GPL. prower knows more than some , but he didn't check his facts in this case. I have.

Finally, it's nothing to do with whether you're a Linux user or not. ZDoom has severe usage restrictions, other ports do not.