Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PainoMan

Editing a Batch File to Play a Different PWAD

Guest PainoMan

That's got to be the MOST annoying way of running Doom with pwads. Edit a single batch file every time I want to play a different level? You gotta be kiddin' me. And having a batch file for each pwad is only a marginally better solution.

Somebody who knows Visual Basic aught to take a look at an old dos front end called UltraLaunch. It can be found on cdrom.com as UL.ZIP. During it's day, this was (and still is, in my opinion) the BEST front end ever made for Doom. Then, after seeing what UltraLaunch does, write a new, Windows-based front end with all the features of UltraLaunch, adding on the ability to launch DEH files along with pwads.

One of the greatest features of UltraLaunch was zip support. Why the source port authors have not added this is beyond me. If I was writing a source port, that would be one of the first things I added. When you have several hundred pwads, this becomes a very important issue.

If there are any newer Windows-based front ends that can do the job as well as UltraLaunch can, somebody please let me know about it!

Guest Fanatic

Look for ASUPERFE.ZIP (A Superior Front End), and there's a slew of others here you can try: ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/utils/frontends/

It's a Windows based front end for all DOOM based games. You might like it.

Guest ConqSoft

I wrote ULTRALaunch. I have the source (in Turbo Pascal 7.0) if anyone's interested. Just promise not to laugh. :D