Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cph

Re: PRBoom denouncement

A forum system that allows public posts and allows replies to be denied is stupid... a person stating an opinion in a public forum denying replies is arrogant.

But to the point, which "sirgalahadwizar" has missed. Nobody's saying that dehacked is "the future of doom editing", and I'm sure DDF is a fine system for making mods. But there are hundreds of old levels which use dehacked, including classics like Mordeth, which *I intend to play*, and I want a decent port to do it with.

So fine, if you don't like the thousands of existing doom levels and want to make your own, go ahead, that's good. That's why we have ports like EDGE that make mod making easy. But just because you don't appreciate classic levels, don't go around flaming projects which *care* about the thousands of existing levels, demos, patches.

</frustration>

Out of interest, does DosDoom/EDGE still support dehacked?

Guest Fanatic

I agreee: if you dig DDF, use EDGE. I don't see a reason to flame other engines for not adding/supporting it, but I don't use other engines unless a map I download requires it (usually ZDOOM). Otherwise I use EDGE for everything.

I don't think EDGE supports dehacked files.

yup. Sorry to all about my post a few up from here, I didn't see this reply. Guess I'm used to reading one thread only per discussion...

Some strange things happens here in the community - from time to time.
This is actual again a good example.

Is education luxory ?

Jon said:

PRBoom has no 'borrowed' code from Dosdoom for that matter.

To reply to your other post... PrBoom does include some good ideas and a few bits of code from DosDoom in fact. See the feature list http://prboom.sourceforge.net/about.html which includes features merged from other ports.

Ok, flaming was done, now watering will happen.

I didn't mean that Prboom sucked, it has lotsa cool features. But none that I can really use. I was speaking from a purely selfish standpoint earlier.

I can't make maps until someone makes a mapeditor as simple as duke3d's "build" was, with true 3D level making (like quake levels, hmm.. that'll take awhile to programme into a source port).

The basic fact is that level editing in doom is not simple enough, and I have to see things as they actually are (3d views of the level while editing - like "Bryce 2" does with it's landscapes). I can't seem to visualize the level in my head as im making it, and about 90% of doom mapediting concepts confuse me.

So in other words... you wont see any maps come out of me (not even puny ones like those 10 sector things), probably just weapons and monster mods (awful limited in my creative power - and it sucks).

Personally I find editing easier in 2D, it gives a clear idea of the layout. And with Windows/Linux ports now you can run editor and engine side-by-side, so editing's not the blind activity it used to be.

Anyway, no hard feelings :-)