Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FarlieA

No music in Edge(v 1.24)- & other problems.

Guest FarlieA

No Music! (either Mus or MID...)

Using Edge32.EXE

Am running on Winddows 98/ Direct 7!!(SB Live Sound card.)

Direct X Diagnostics reveals no faults with Direct Music...

Is the Music player not yet in the code?

Also would like an 800x600 Mode... I use that mode when I play using zDoom. Are the Edge and Zdoom enhancments compatible?

Also Having trouble getting Dehacked patches to work with Edge!

Tried to get the excellent GBD2 Demo to work...

Tried command line
> Edge32 -deh GBD2.DEH -file GBD2Demo.WAD GBLevels.WAD COLMAPS.WAD

Engine started up ok but bailed out without the follwing message:
Sprite POSS:A:2 has Two lumps mapped to it...

Not being technically minded What went wrong?

(I have had simmilar problems getting over conversios using dehacked patches to work :-( )

A translator for DEU -> DDF would be VERY useful..

Alex

im pretty sure that the new version of edge will have music..soemthing wrong with 1.24. and what do you mean you would like a 800x600 mode? there is one

Guest FarlieA

Not according to the options screen there isn't!
Perhaps its my video drivers but I will check again to be absoultley certain...

Incidnetally regarding the music issue- Zdoom uses Midas to allow Mod/Screamtracker suppourt... Perhaps Edge should suppourt MP3 as well? I know theres code for that in Linux community.-

Also an added feature I would love to have in Edge is the abilty to put short Video cinematics in... ( Ie At Start of game, at the end of key levels.. Instead of the current Text messages... and of course at other levels just before are after the intermissons.)-> Videos.DDF? Would need a new CINEMAS lump possibly... And of course theres is no agreement on what video compresssion to use ;-)

Another thing I did want to do was have the abilty to play through Doom and Doom2 without needing to reselect stuff from the menu.. Possible? Also Edge currently seems not to like the Ultimate Doom WAD and the 1.9 Doom2 WAD in the direcotry at the same time. I wnated to do this so I could play all 5 Episodes staright through without needing to go back to menu or directory to fiddle things...

Also wanted to do a TC for Doom2.. but Wintex is too comples for me and Dehacked even more so!! Oh well Perhpas I should read th DDF docs again.

Just my two clips ;-)

Alex

Guest Fanatic

To play DOOM and DOOM2, you should need to specify the IWAD (e.g. only one at a time).

edge -iwad doom.wad or edge -iwad doom2.wad

I'm pretty sure you can't do both.

Guest Fanatic

Music is disabled in EDGE 1.24 (already been reported dozens of times). It will be fully functional in EDGE 1.25, supporting MIDI, MUS, MP3, and CD tracks.

If you go into the video options menu, you should be able to specify the resolutions there. Typically, if they do not show, they are not available.

You can also try passing -width ### -height ###, like edge32 -width 800 -height 600, and force it to a video mode.

EDGE and ZDOOM are completely different.

The error "Sprite POSS:A:2 has Two lumps mapped to it..." sounds like an error in one of the WADs, which probably have duplicate named entries.

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe EDGE supports DEH patches anymore.

Guest FarlieA

> EDGE and ZDOOM are completely different.

Then that probably explains the Errors I get when I try to use DEH patched TC's which DID work with zDoom

>The error "Sprite POSS:A:2 has Two lumps mapped to it..."
> sounds like an error in one of the WADs, which probably have
> duplicate named entries.

But the Wad's in question worked fine in zDoom... As you said zDoom and Edge are differnet it might be due to an technical issue :-(

> I may be mistaken, but I don't believe EDGE supports DEH
> patches anymore.

However As I said a DEU->DDF converter would be useful to aid migration to the new format and engine...

And a note to ZDooms authours. Are there plans to make DDF available for use in that engine. ( I can't understand DeHackEd! and it would appear that DDF is more flexible?)

Guest Fanatic

Stuff made specefically for ZDOOM obviously won't work with EDGE tho, like a level compiled as a HeXen level (one that uses polyobjects for example), that will bomb in anything by ZDOOM.

DDF is incredibly more powerful than DEH, I would recommend dropping any thoughts of using it, and migrate to DDF.

If you know DEH, it's a good starting point. Once you get to know DDF, you will love it, I swear. DDF is the single reason I started on and am still doing QDOOM.

Guest c-d-w
Fanatic said:

To play DOOM and DOOM2, you should need to specify the IWAD (e.g. only one at a time).

edge -iwad doom.wad or edge -iwad doom2.wad

I'm pretty sure you can't do both.

if you specify one as an iwad and the other as a patch wad, you can play all 5 episodes in one sitting:

edge -file doom.wad -iwad doom2.wad

FarlieA said:

i think a friendly correction is in order here, zdoom 1.22 and earlier used midas for sound and music playback, never version (ie the 1.23 beta series) uses the far supperior fmod engine.

big deal you migh think, but midas lack alot of compability that fmod has (fmod plays mp3'files...) , another drawback is that midas isn't developed any further while fmod has a 3.3 release planned soon :)

But one of the major advantages is the possibillity to update fmod independently from zdoom, just go to the fmod homepage and get the latest fmod.dll and replace the one in your zdoom folder with it. The latest beta includes a rather old version of the fmod.dll so an update is certainly a good idea :)

http://www.fmod.org

In addition to everything that's been said here, I believe the GBD2 demo also uses Boom features.

However, you don't HAVE to use Boom to play it, as Edge is about the only decent port that doesn't have Boom support. MBF, SMMU, ZDoom, SkullTag, PRBoom and even Legacy have Boom support.

Guest Fanatic

We have added quite a lot of BOOM support in EDGE 1.25 (unreleased as of yet).