Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

DOOM 3 be doom 1 but enhanced

DOOM 1 style levels added to the already 27 levels of the Original, but change all 3 secret levels, so that the secret levels would be the only levels not included in the game from the original (the secret levels of DOOM weren't all that great)
Have all the monsters from DOOM 1 and leave out the monsters from DOOM 2 - leave DOOM 2 out of the picture entirely, except for the SS gun. DOOM 1 had the best atmosphere - DOOM 2's atmosphere paled in comparison, and the doom2 monsters would remind you too much of doom2 taking away from the secluded smallness, abandoned on lost moon base with only a handful of other demons. Add some new monsters that would complement doom 1 monsters well. Improve on the monsters AI - leave the former guys dumb, make demons eeirily intelligent, keep barons and imps dumb, not sure what to do with cacodemons - and, of course lost souls have to remain as lost as ever :) Add an oozie type pinpoint long distance accuracy gun. Retain the doom 1 atmosphere - this is key. Maybe have it be the original 3 episodes - but each episode could have an aditional 6 or so levels that gave the feeling of being ever more deeper into the game - and each level a new boss and end - so the original final levels would be excluded from the game as well as the secrets. (or they could be playable separately or sometihng) In addition to the original levels - make subtle changes to each level - an added secret - multi floors where it would be fit - maybe subtle architectural enhancements. I think the power is about to go out due to a thunderstorm, so I'm gonna stop now.

Dude that is so queer. No DooM2 enemies? So are you implying that the arch vile is not good enough to be in the next DooM? Are you saying that the revenant didn't make you jump the first time you saw it?

It would be cool if iD remade all the DooM levels for the DooM sequel, but I think the main part of the game should be a whole new set of levels.

Here's my opinion. It needs DooM simplicity in controling the player. I don't want 50,000 controls for everything. If I was making the game, the only new controls I would add are mouselook , jumping, and MAYBE crouching, but no stupid invetory or something like that.

It still needs to be fast too. I want the DooM player to still be able to run 50 mph. Even keep the bug that makes you go faster when you run diagonally, and even faster against the walls:)

DooM was awesome. DooM II had weak levels but excellent new additions. It definately wasn't a TRUE sequel, but it added more than a super shotgun. Let's hope this new DooM can provide excellent eyecandy while keeping the SIMPLE aspect of gameplay.

It sounds like you and I are on the same page - I agree with everything you said 100%, the speed, simplicity, everything - The only reason I said leave the doom2 monsters out is because they detract from the E3M4, E2M4 atmoshpere. Although maybe I'm entirely wrong - I haven't seen E3M4 with revenents waiting in the chaingun room or revenents running back and forth between the two rooms in the beginning of the level among the demons - as I talk about it, I realize I was quite wrong - they would fit just fine, so nevemind my previous comment of leaving doom 2 monsters out of it - I've talked myself back to my senses :)

Guest Eugene

I TOTALLY DISAGREE THAT DOOM3 SHOULD BE A REMAKE OF DOOM1!!!!!!!
If you want a remake get a sourceport like DoomGL, or DoomLegacy or Boom.
Doom3 should continue from where the classic Doom2:Hell on Earth ended. That would make it really rock. And everyone would want to buy it! Trust me on this!!!!!

Guest Fox

DooM 3 has to be and WILL BE completely new. Period.

John Carmack sure isn't playing when he talks (read the .plan)about a new engine, so don't expect that DOOM 3 is something like glDooM running the SAME levels of DooM 1 and DooM 2. We already have those, although I really enjoy them with the GL ports (and keep up the good work with those :)

"64 bits per pixel" (again, read the .plan)?
Forget any computer of today to play DooM 3 when it comes out.

I think that DooM 3 will do to Q3 what DooM did to Wolf3D. THAT is the id way. (and yes... DooM 3 will do to Duke Nukem Forever what Duke3D did to DooM ;)

I don't expect either a DooM 3 like Half-Life but enhanced.
The FPS games of today are quite the same, and all we need is something completely new, like DooM 1 was in his time.

-=FOX=-

Guest BeDevil

I cant wait for DooM 3..it'll rok......but what would be the point of id remaking the original 27 levels and just giving us three new secret levels? no way. What would work is a whole new set of kick ass levels using the new uber-carmack-engine, but then putting e1m1 and map01 as secret levels...covering old tracks....maybe the levels are derelict now..that would be kool.
I cant wait to play again as the marine, in new levels that hav the awesome feel that DooM did all those moons ago but using a state of the art engine and graphics to really scare and excite us DooMers. is it done yet? :-)

Fox said:

DooM 3 has to be and WILL BE completely new. Period.

John Carmack sure isn't playing when he talks (read the .plan)about a new engine, so don't expect that DOOM 3 is something like glDooM running the SAME levels of DooM 1 and DooM 2. We already have those, although I really enjoy them with the GL ports (and keep up the good work with those :)

"64 bits per pixel" (again, read the .plan)?
Forget any computer of today to play DooM 3 when it comes out.

I think that DooM 3 will do to Q3 what DooM did to Wolf3D. THAT is the id way. (and yes... DooM 3 will do to Duke Nukem Forever what Duke3D did to DooM ;)

I don't expect either a DooM 3 like Half-Life but enhanced.
The FPS games of today are quite the same, and all we need is something completely new, like DooM 1 was in his time.

-=FOX=-

You all missed my point entirely. First off, I was saying remake the originals - slightly modified, to see the difference between the original engine and the new one - and the subtle changes are for people who are familiar with the original - they can say - oh cool that is much better than it used to be, or, look at that cool architecture they added - or there's a bridge here now - this is much better than having a floor that raises out of the sludge - how they wanted the original doom. Another thing, I was saying keep all the original levels but the end levels and secret levels - then have new ones - It's just an idea anyway, I'm not too sure how much I like it myself - but I think it would be cool to have the orinal levels as a side thing anyway, it would not be the same as the ports - the ports are very mild enhancements to the original compared to what the new game engine Carmack will be making - and it will be very advanced and surprise us the way DOOM did back in the day. Mark my words :)

I really like Ling's idea of having Doom III have the ability to read .wad files and convert them to doom III format. Then we could play doom and doom2 on the doom3 engine, plus all the other tC's and so forth out there. now THAT would rock

Guest o-langh

Wouldn`t it be great if they build a new episode with the original e1 as scrath, like a hangar and a powerplant were you can recognize some parts of the level, but the level are much larger...

Guest algo
hellbent said:

i must say that i agree with hellbent's opinion; i thought i was alone in my belief that there is something about the original Doom 1 that is so much more in-tune with what the game is supposed to be.

...and he's right. it's the atmosphere. but not just that -- i don't remember who was responsible for the original maps, but there's so much effort that person's put into refining them. they're not unnecessarily complicated or "prettied-up" (which Doom 2 went overboard with), which in my opinion makes them much more playable and... well, frighteningly believable. doom2's maps seemed to be a rushjob to create bloated maps that, while they kept the player busy for a long time, were not as much fun.

i remember seeing some early screenshots for the original Quake. someone had taken a few original maps from doom 1, and rebuilt them partially using the quake engine -- to see them side by side was particularly amazing and exciting.

and as far as the monsters go... doom 2's were superfluous, while doom 1's were ingenious and suitable -- both form the point-of-view of their appearance, function, and behaviour.

anyway... i could go on for hours -- and i would -- so i'll stop now. got some doom source code to read thru... ooh but it's exciting! :)