Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bonch

Take input from the Doom community

Guest bonch

I think it would be interesting if id did what Maxis did with SC3000 and took user suggestions from online forums to help shape the game. After all, we've been with the game for a good six years or so and know how it should be. I really think they should do something like that.

They should, and I hope they will, but things like that just don't seem to happen.....

Guest ViolentEd

Here is why that wouldnt work, ahem. The Doom Community, unlike any other cannot in any way handle change. Everything has to be kept "like it was" or people get pissy about it. Remember how much hell Doom Legacy took when it first came out because it had Quake features?

Let ID do what they are going to do. But I dont think they will make a remake. Random level design? I think not. "Run, Shoot, Hit Switch" game play? Doubt it. If gamers wanted that they could buy the original. Seeing it still remains on the shelf. No way John Carmack, with all the technology around will say "Ok, Basic game play factors here. Nothing fancy. Just killng" Thats like NASA saying "Lets dump this whole Space Shuttle thing and use rockets again, cause people like the splash the capsul makes when it lands"

I agree. I was thinking the same thing. Why don't we all email id and tell them to check out all the posts at doomworld, not that they would, but they should. :)

ViolentEd said:

Here is why that wouldnt work, ahem. The Doom Community, unlike any other cannot in any way handle change. Everything has to be kept "like it was" or people get pissy about it. Remember how much hell Doom Legacy took when it first came out because it had Quake features?

Let ID do what they are going to do. But I dont think they will make a remake. Random level design? I think not. "Run, Shoot, Hit Switch" game play? Doubt it. If gamers wanted that they could buy the original. Seeing it still remains on the shelf. No way John Carmack, with all the technology around will say "Ok, Basic game play factors here. Nothing fancy. Just killng" Thats like NASA saying "Lets dump this whole Space Shuttle thing and use rockets again, cause people like the splash the capsul makes when it lands"

Except that NASA doesn't have a product to sell to the public. This is different. Still, I see where you're coming from.

ViolentEd said:

I agree. The last thing I want is Doom in 3d, with the same, mindless action gameplay. I want to see a deep(er) storyline, in-game scripted sequences, unique and fresh puzzles, different and even more frightening enemies that will make me shit my panties, and a bunch of new weapons (the only two ones I really care making the new Doom game are the SSG and BFG. id has also publicly stated that there won't be a rocket launcher in their next game). Then again, not everything should be different. The same dark atmosphere should be present, some classic enemies and weapons should be present (3d arch-vile with AI equivalent to Half-Life's soldiers? Sweeet) and maybe even a conversion of Map01/Map07.

Guest Lnpdac

I have 1 hope for Doom3 and that is that its more like Doom1 in Architechture.