Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Interview with id

As soon as id is ready for an interview - I think everyone can agree this is something than needs to be done! I guess Ling would do the interview?

People, please post questions that you think are important and relevent to what id is planning on doing with this new doom.

I don't have time right now - but I will post a reply to this with some questions I think should be asked.

Hmm... no one is interested in posting questions for a potential interview with id in the future on what DOOM is going to be like? What elements are going to be retained from the original? What's going to be significantly differnt? etc. etc. etc.

I honestly don't understand this.

Well, here are my questions:

Will the new DOOM be a sequal or an entirely new game? The way Hexen 2 was to Hexen? (Or was it Heretic 2 to Heretic, I don't remember). Or will it be unmistakably DOOM with most of the great elements of the original retained. What sort of problems does an advanced game engine propose to retaining elements from the old DOOM? Such as, will having blazingly fast gameplay still work with the new game engine? Who is going to do the music for the new DOOM? Are you going to try to capture the same atmosphere as the original? what were some things you wish could have showed up in DOOM that you weren't able to do due to time restrictions and technology limitations? Are you going to utilize them now? Is there a common underlying motivation for doing another DOOM game among the entire company? Or does each member have different reasons and different level of excitement about doing it? Who is going to be the main audience for this game? Will it be those that played DOOM when it first came out? Or to the unseasoned doomers. What was Adrian's objecting to doing a new DOOM? Was he alone with this objection? How much time and money do you want to put into the new DOOM? How much time and money do you think you'll end up actually putting into it? How considerate of hardcore "purist" doom fans are you going to be in the making of the new DOOM? Some people complain that the new graphics engines, especially with Quake, poly rendered monsters aren't nearly as good as the "cartoony" sprited ones. How do you respond to this? Do you think the graphics and atmosphere in Quake and Quake 2 were undoubtedly better than that of the original DOOM? Do you think you can recapture the great dissention among the beasts and rival the great character/graphics of the original DOOM monsters with the latest polygonal rendering? A pole - out of the current company at id - which game that id has made do _you_ think is the best and why?

I don't understand why no one is posting replies to this topic! Doesn't everyone want to know what direction this game is going in? Or am I missing something, like an interview with id just isn't going to happen... what, what is it - I just don't understand.

Wait, maybe Carmack will post soon.

'Hope so, I emailed him two days ago with what I think are two of the more pressing questions - this was probably futile, but I just couldn't resist... :) this e-mail may have been a little pretentious...

"Your busy. I'll try to keep it brief.

I don't know if you guys at id frequent any of the
DOOM newsgroups or www.doomworld.com to see what us
fans have to say in response to the late breaking
news, but one common concern is whether it's going to
be unmistakably DOOM or will it basically be a new
game with the same name. What does the statement "a
new DOOM" actually mean? It's one thing to make a
sequal with the same game engine (DOOM 2), but how is
this going to work with your upcoming "uber"-engine?

The question I really want answered, though, is what
was your, and others' at id, motivation to making a
new DOOM? An opportunity to realize your original
vision of what you wanted the game to be, but couldn't
because of the limitations at the time?

Surely you can at least answer the latter of the two
questions :)"

Another email I sent to JC. The {_} are words I just added, realizing I should have added them in the email:

Take more from Dante's Inferno; include some more well
suited references into the gameplay: have AI behavior
change to suit different levels, for example: E3M7: {Gate to Limbo} should have had Demons that were in a state of
turmoil, running around mad, making extra
scary/hellish noises ({maybe}eminating bearly audible latin
backwards that would just barely come through their
grunts) and behaving very aggressive to compensate
their undirected behavior and excentuate their
turmoiled state. {This would add to the atmosphere. Having monsters behave differently on each level would help distinguish each level as well.}