I realy hope they make a great sound track like
they did for the original DooM games.

and also in DooM 1 and 2, there were almost
a song for every level, so they should have
like about 25 song for DooM 3 if they have
30 levels.

/Quad

Guest quolema

Yeah the original DooM had so great music.
I hope that Sonic Mayhem does some remixes of the old ones.

I hope that Sonic Mayhem isn't involved at all. Don't get me wrong, their music is good for Quake 2 and 3, just not for Doom.

Guest Quad

Sonic Mayhem are dame good! :)
They make great bass pumping music,
but if they are going to make the
DooM 3 music they have to have the
great melodies that sticks to your
mind like DooM 1 and 2 had [ I still
listen on the DooM music and ofcurse
playing them :) ]. The Quake3
music is more like a big mix with
heavy drums and noicey efects, and
that type of music does not belong
in the DooM world.

/Quad

Guest Sethsez

As I've posted earlier, I think Trent Reznor should do the music. His music is an aural version of Doom, sometimes dark and moody, and other times flat-out heavy.

I think Bobby Prince should do the musice. His music greatly enhanced an already great atmosphere. Trent Reznor has a totally different feel, the reason the music of DOOM is so good because it goes with DOOM so well and is such an appropriate complement to the atmoshpere of DOOM. Maybe NIN could pull this off, but I kinda doubt it.

Guest Quad
Sethsez said:

As I've posted earlier, I think Trent Reznor should do the music. His music is an aural version of Doom, sometimes dark and moody, and other times flat-out heavy.

Yea Trent Reznor, but if so he have to make
music with beats and not just sound efects
like in Quake 1.

->Reznor is a musical genius<-

/Quad

Guest squint
Hellbent said:

I think Bobby Prince should do the musice. His music greatly enhanced an already great atmosphere. Trent Reznor has a totally different feel, the reason the music of DOOM is so good because it goes with DOOM so well and is such an appropriate complement to the atmoshpere of DOOM. Maybe NIN could pull this off, but I kinda doubt it.

Doom's music isn't THAT good, people. Listen to the percussion in the songs -- it's almost laughable. Trent Reznor's work blows away anything Bobby does by miles. Sure, Bobby has come up with some "hooky" melodies, but it's still nothing to shit over.

If Trent did the music, whatever he comes up with will fit the game like a glove. Just like the music he did for Quake. Mr. Reznor is capable of writing melodies too, you know. And he's a huge fan of Doom. Like I said in another post, Bobby collaborating with Trent is an interesting idea, but I've contacted Bobby and he doesn't feel like that would be something Trent would go for.

We'll see. Also, you have to wonder if Bobby is even capable of producing music that lives up to the standards of computer game music today. Sure, he can do MIDI sequences, but can he play a guitar, and does he know how to use REAL equipment? Oh, and don't forget Trent's gigantic studio and his personal slaves/staff. :)

squint
PlanetDiablo News Editor
mj@houston.rr.com

Guest Tw199y
Quad said:

Yea Trent Reznor, but if so he have to make
music with beats and not just sound efects
like in Quake 1.

->Reznor is a musical genius<-

/Quad

I think Trent would make a great soundtrack for Doom 3.... My thoughts on what it should be like is something that is spooky and environmental that should bring out the escence of DOOM 3 and I definetly believe that Sonic Mayhem would not do justice to the game with there music...

Doom2 had quite a few Pantera riffs so why dont Id just get Pantera to do the music. Come on theres nothing like THE GREAT SOUTHERN DEMONKILL. [very sad pun, im sorry]

Guest Quad
squint said:

I didn't say Trent Reznor was not capable
of writing melodies, I have almost every
NiN album, so I know he can. He is
a musical genius, so I would be glad if
he made the DooM 3 music, but im just
saying that the Quake 1 music was not
the type of music you played in your CD
player, it was more like ambient music.
(I have to add: Good ambient music)
But in DooM at least I would like to
have cool melodies like the original
DooM games had. And if Reznor makes the
music with melodies it will kick ass! :)

/Quad

Guest DougF-RiotSoft
squint said:

Well when making the music for DOOM, Bobby used midi which is infact done through keyboard.. and if you actually check his site out then you would find out he has remastered some of the songs for DOOM using straight keyboards and a studio... its not his fault that sound cards back then had a certain amount of instruments built into their midi capability... Once his mp3.com site gets back up I strongly urge you to check it out...

I think a collaboration with Trent would be perfect...Will it happen? Who knows.. there would be a lot of musicial differences between the two and could cause friction...

Guest squint

I know MIDI is done with a keyboard. I still haven't heard anything from Bobby that sounds like it was from 1994 or later. Reznor's music is always very meticulous and layered with brilliant sound manipulations. Can Bobby do this? I doubt it. Trent would write music that fits the game perfectly. He wouldn't be Nine Inch Nails on the Doom soundtrack, so he wouldn't hesitate to write catchy melodies if that's what the game called for.

Quake called for ambience, not music, and that's what they got. Remember, id Software wasn't going to have music at all, but they decided to ask Trent at the last minute to do sounds, not music. And he did.

squint

Guest Toady

Let's not forget that Bobby Prince was and is primarily a *composer* - not a performer and not a producer.

The use of melody, harmony (and dis-), and rhythm to create atmosphere in Doom is second to none, and the music has a sense of subtlety that you don't hear in, say, the awful blatant "soundtracks" certain unnamed Hollywood movie composers churn out...

I can certainly imagine Bobby writing the music and some skilled instrumentalists performing it, mmm... Wonder if Id can afford hiring both a full symphony orchestra and good metal musicians?

Guest o-langh
NiGHTMARE said:

I hope that Sonic Mayhem isn't involved at all. Don't get me wrong, their music is good for Quake 2 and 3, just not for Doom.

I really hope Sonic Mayhem does the new DooM soundtrack. They`re awesome with their heavy riffs. Just think about "At DooM`s Gate" with real guitars and drums, and not the midi. It doesn`t sound nearly as good as "live". I`ve played it with my guitar and it kicks really ass. The DooM Soundtrack is almost as great as MetallicA and MegadetH, at their first albums. I love these sounds...

I hope they make new songs as well, the Quake II soundtrack is GREAT!!!! ( Not better than DooM though :=) )