Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest o-langh

The Dream of a new DooM

Guest o-langh

First of all, I just want to tell everybody that I`m so exited about this. Since Quake II, I`ve wanted id to make another and better DooM.

I just want to tell you folks how it would be in my dreams:

- a complex storyline, which is being told in large videoclips between the levels. Based upon the "DooM Bible" by Tom Hall , and mixed it up with the story in DooM.

- very varable sceneries with futuristic and greatlooking bases, large outside areas (canyons and stuff) and Hellish sceneries that are real diabolical. Just loved the architecture in Quake II, and it`s two missionpacks. Maybe a mixup between the original DooM episode and those levels. Would be AWESOME I think.

- a more advanced and complex weaponery than the original DooM, and DooM II. You`ve got to keep the original weapons, and maybe add some from Quake II, and even new weapons.

- the monsters got to be the same old, with a few new. ( Can`t wait to see these monsters in 3D, made by id artists.

- a character with real personality, like a Duke Nukem ( though not the arogante chicklovin` guy, but the one who comments events, and can comunicate with NPC. There`s got to be NPC in it...)

This is my vision. I`m woundering what id wants to do. No matter what... I know I`ll love the new DooM game.

I don't think mixing games is a good idea - the game's identy will be weak and a cohesive atmoshpere/feel that was in the original will be non-existent. Any elements to be borrowed from other games should only be borrowed from the original - keep the game original or like DOOM, but don't borrow from halflife and quake 2 making a rehashed hybrid! Gotta be DOOM or a "logical" evolution/progression from the original DOOM - keep the "your the last marine against the hordes of hell"

I don't really like any of the comments you made about your dream. Except maybe two things

I do like your opinion on a complex Doom story, but it needs to be somewhat original. I don't like the idea of large video clips however. It slows down the action. Maybe a big video clip in the beggining to get things going, but any sceneries that tell the story should be done so I can still walk around and shoot things:)

I agree on the architecture of the levels as well, but we need levels that build around a story, not a story that builds around the levels, something Half-Life did. However, they only did so to an extent. I think it could be better done with DooM.

The only unique weapons from Quake II are the grenade launcher and railgun. The others are complete rips from DooM. Whatever the weapons be, they need to ALL have reason to be in the game. I don't want a game were once I get the most powerful weapon I only use that. In DooM I found myself always using different weapons for different situations, and I used them all (Exception three weak weapons). Even in Quake II I could finish the game with the railgun andd BFG. A Quake II style railgun will in no way fit into the game whatsoever. Even a grenade launcher is kind of pointless unless done correctly so that it can be used tactically. If iD does add weapons, they need some hell style weapons. Nothing stupid like a mancubus launcher either.

We need all the Doom monsters back, except maybe the hell knight because he was pointless anyway. I want to see bosses that make the cyberdemon look petite in comparison. I want to see some zombies with heavy weapons possibly. Possibly some new hellish style enemies never before seen that'll make you wanna cryy to your mommy.

A character with a real personality will KILL the game. In DooM, the marine was what your imagination made him be. The game didn't tell you what his name or identity was. YOU made that decision. In the lone-soldier style of DooM gameplay, it perfectly fits. Adding a personality will ruin it. Trust me on that.

Guest Sethsez

I agree. This should not be a whole new game, with no ties to the previous Dooms, but instead should be a new Doom, with new fautures, but be esssentially the same game underneath. Also, I have a hope that id will make a decent boss for a change. No offense, but the Cyberdemon sucked big time. He looked awesome, but he was way too easy to defeat on any difficulty setting. I want a boss that's going to be a chalenge, as well as look awesome. You know, something to replace the Spider Mastermind as Doom's best boss (I thought it was much more original than the Cyberdemon, and slightly harder).

Guest LordUnum
Tawney said:

A character with a real personality will KILL the game. In DooM, the marine was what your imagination made him be. The game didn't tell you what his name or identity was. YOU made that decision. In th

EXACTLY! Not only was hardly a thing given about the space marine's background in Doom, not to mention the total lack of in-game speech (quite the opposite of Duke), but to further the sense of anonymity, the character always wore that helmet/visor (which is an absolute must for the next game). He became whatever the player wanted at any time. From a mad, reckless nut, to a cautious soldier, always planning/revising his strategy. This greatly enhanced immersion into the Doom experience, IMHO.