Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tawney

Wad support in DoomIII

One thing they definately MUST have is .wad support. That way, not only could we be able to play Doom, doom2, final Doom, etc., but the second doom III is released, there are immediately 1000's of addons immediately at your dispersal.

Guest BEnT2440

Sounds like a good idea. What if id were to take all the original Doom/Doom2 episodes and convert them to the engine that they use for the new game? They could add starting and ending cinematics for the old episodes to make them a bit cooler. That, plus the new episode(s) would make a huge game!

Though this is a little off topic, I think they should also have the gore zones that made the over-the-top violence in Soldier of Fortune such a hit!

Guest ViolentEd

Bah, just play the 9th Symphony in the backround and show a movie of all the enemies getting blown inside out.

I think all we really need is for EDGE to merge with JDoom. Goodbye Doom3.

Remember that the original Doom didn't allow for any level-over-level, lightmaps or whatever. So any "old" wads run in Doom3 would probably look like shit when compared to id's new maps.

That's a dumb argument, because, well, so what? Plus, you'd then be able to edit those levels that you once thought were so cool and really make them cool - it would make for great "bases" to start from.

Guest c-d-w
Lüt said:

I think all we really need is for EDGE to merge with JDoom. Goodbye Doom3.

oh god hell yes!!!

Tawney said:

One thing they definately MUST have is .wad support. That way, not only could we be able to play Doom, doom2, final Doom, etc.,

I doubt this is even remotely possible or worth doing. Remember the Doom to Quake conversion program? Bad, bad and more bad. :) The brush based world is completely different than the sector based world and the two simply don't translate well. I predict there may be a secret map or two that is a conversion of an original Doom map, but the rest will be all new.

I would really like the new engine to be filled-void like Unreal rather than empty-void like Quake. It makes mapping so much easier. However, I expect it to a brush based world with extensive lighting and texture mapping, since this is what Carmack uses.

The trend right now appears to be bump mapping, fractal based mapping and advanced light techniques. The new video boards are all going to support multiple operation in a single pass which will allow some really nice texturing options like organic surfaces and surfaces that change dynamically. It is going to be awhile before anything comes to light (pun there :) so we all have to wait and see. Be prepared to ungrade.

Remember Carmack is adding new technology, and while most likely the style of editing will be even more different to DooM editing than Quake was, there is still that chance he might add that .wad support:)

Plus, id can easily incorperate all the Doom AND doom2 textures into the sequel since, well, its all their games:P meaning if they did make a converter the textures wouldn't be changed whatsoever.

Did id make that wad-bsp converter? Just out of couriosity, because if id didnt make that, well...perhaps id can do it then:)

One could only hope!

Tawney said:

Did id make that wad-bsp converter? Just out of couriosity, because if id didnt make that, well...perhaps id can do it then:)

No, it was a user made product. It just illustrates the difficulty of trying to convert the old into the new.

Wildman said:

No, it was a user made product. It just illustrates the difficulty of trying to convert the old into the new.

Sorry Wildman, I can't understand your point:)