Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

DOOM 3 Levels

I strongly think that the levels should be more point A to point B rather than big open levels where you go galavanting all over retracing the same places over and over again - I like the closed-style levels like E2M4 - outside areas are good, but should be fleeting, not be the majority of the environment. I think the atmosphere of DOOM ep. 1-3 was the best of all the DOOMs. I didn't like the wide open spaces levle like MAP13 of DOOM 2. You don't have the sense of getting deeper into the heart of hell, or closer to the final boss that you got in DOOM. The number of episodes, the number of levels, and the layout of the levels all contributed to this aspect very well in the original DOOM, but not that great in DOOM 2.

Guest Duke Nukem

Well Benthead, i totally agree with you on this one
The atmosphere of Doom1 was great. Im suprised more people play doom2 on csdoom than doom1.

Guest ShadowcasT

Well,i agree with you about doom1 ,but large open areas had become pretty rare since doom.I think that good mix of both
large ,bright and immersive open areas and dark scary indoor
levels could make everybody happy.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Love doom but tired of dated and horrible graphic?
This game it's not doom,but it's fun and it beats quake 3 arena:

http://www.croteam.com/index.html

I don't know what it is exactly you don't like about the maps in doom2, but a lot of those maps i think are better than the doom ones! if you want those tight shoot 'em up style maps found in episode one, map04 is definately a good map to start with. Oh and who can forget level 9? That has somewhere around 400 enemies I THINK (Not too sure, it is the most out of all the Doom levels)

yes the city levels were probably the worst in the bunch but were still some excellent maps.

And Doom2 gets used more than Doom because of the super shotgun, one of the best additions to Doom deathmatch.

I liked MAP09 a lot. I don't really like the first maps of DOOM 2. No real atmosphere to them. It isn't the tight quarters of MAP04 type levels that I like per se, it's the atmosphere the ones in DOOM generated. But MAP04's atmosphere was grungy and distasteful - Good for DMing but not good atmosphere for solo, IMO. Basically, it comes down to the atmosphere of the levels - just not as good.

Guest Jared
Hellbent said:

With new scripting and room over room technology where in for a treat.

Dont worry about doom 3 levels the people who designed the first doom levels if still around and still work at ID they know what there doing. They learned from there mistakes from the first DooM if any mistakes. And if they got new map editors well those map editors grew up playing doom so they shouldnt have probelms either making maps.

Guest JudgeDooM

I agree with you on this. But I think DoomII maps were quite good , I especially like map 18.

Jared said:

Dont worry about doom 3 levels the people who designed the first doom levels if still around and still work at ID they know what there doing. They learned from there mistakes from the first DooM if any mistakes. And if they got new map editors well those map editors grew up playing doom so they shouldnt have probelms either making maps.

Hey, I liked the city levels. They were some of the coolest ones in Doom 2. Sure, they are horrible for deathmatch, but for single player they're awesome. I remember the first time I saw them and thought, "Cool! This is Doom?" I had never seen anything like that in Doom before, and since then I have had many(failed) attempts at creating my own city. Anyways, there's just something satisfying about killing Demons in skyscrapers that is very appealing(plus the first group of levels in Doom 2 were terrible, I didn't like the metal textures that were excessively used). I think it would be cool if Id could possibly add at least 1 or 2 city levels to Doom 3.