Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naberus

Another music thing

Ok if ANY band could do the music for Doom3 what band do people think Id should get?

Please dont just say NIN.

I think we should get a quality Black Metal band for a few reasons. It would go well as BM has a scary gothic atmosphere we get some Melodic scary BM like Dimmu or Cradle THEN for others we get fast hard BM like Beherit, Sacrofago, Marduk etc...

What do the rest of you think?

Guest Toady

Cradle of Filth is quality symphonic Black Metal?
Surely you jest!

Emperor's "In The Nightside Eclipse" did everything all these new watered-down "atmospheric" BM bands do, ten times better...

The problem is just that none of the good BM bands would want to "sell out" and work on something as capitalistic as a video game...

...but do we really want a "band" doing Doom music, rather than a dedicated game music composer with experience in the field?
After all, a good soundtrack is not the same thing as a good song.

I'll say what sort of music I do *not* want to hear in Doom under any circumstances instead:

* Pop music like Korn, NIN, Marylin Manson, Britney Spears, et cetera, included just so they can slap a "music by..." sticker on the cover and sell ridiculously overpriced soundtrack CD's

* Idiotic overdone Hollywood style music that spoils the atmosphere completely with its lack of subtlety

* Meaningless guitar-wankery ala Quake2 that neither drives the action nor creates atmosphere

Guest Drazen0

Well, you are right about the bands. Ok, you're sitting in a dark corner, surrounded by mutated imps, and then your start hearing a little squirly voice moaning about "loss". Well, there goes your feeling of horrific isolation. Now you have some little guy singing in your head, which murders any atmosphere that could be portrayed. My personal suggestion is more along the lines of Event Horizon's soundtrack, only perhaps a bit darker a points would suit the game nicely.

For my own little musical tribute to doom, have a listen to "Deimos Sunset [Hardwired]" at my game music site www.mp3.com/drazen

Hey, it may not be great, but it was inspired in part by the news of a new doom. It killed some time.

Hey! Pretty good I think :) Kinda Doomy. It's complex, maybe too complex to be memorable on it's own. I think it would set a good mood for a creepy level though.

Toady said:

I think the new Doom needs Bobby Prince or a composer of equivalent talent. The soundtrack should be memorable. The soundrack for the original Doom is memorable. The soundtrack for the Final Fantasy series is memorable. Hearing just the music should bring back memories and emotions you felt while playing the game.

Stphrz said:

Hey! Pretty good I think :) Kinda Doomy. It's complex, maybe too complex to be memorable on it's own. I think it would set a good mood for a creepy level though.

Vocals in DOOM? Oh my god.. That is the worst idea I've ever heard of. I haven't vomited in seven years, and I would like to keep my streak alive, thank you very much.. :-b

When did I say I wanted vocals in doom??? What kind of drugs are you taking? I said I wanted a memorable soundtrack. Is that a bad thing?

The last message you replied to.. He mentionted the idea of some little voice saying "loss".. I didn't see the last part. I thought you were talking about the vocal part. Never mind.. :-b

Guest mac10suxass
Toady said:

no offence but korn and nin r not pop bands,korn is grunge and nin is rock but i think rob zombie shud do music for it but no vocals just the music.BUT IF I HEAR BRITNEY SPEARS IN DOOM I GONNA FREAKIN SMASH MY COMP AND GO OVER AND BLOW THE SHIT OUTTA ALL THE DAMN POP MUSIC AND BURN THEM TO DEATH!!!.....slowly...

Ok, here's an idea I had today, and if it sounds retarded let me know. (I am sure you will. ;-))

MS released a program a few years ago that basically made music from mathmatical algorithms. It was called MS Music Composer. How 'bout using a similar process to create dynamic music generated on the fly as the mission progresses. This would be somewhat like Unreal where the music changed depending on the current situation, but maybe a little better.

This would allow level designers to add in triggers such as "Cue Spooky Music" or "Cue Industrial Music". It could also allow them to specify parameters such as tempo, key and instrument set.

There are however two downsides that I can think of. First, what kind of CPU overhead would this create? Second, you may never hear the same music twice, which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view.

What does everyone think? Feel free to flame me if you don't like it, I am a big boy and can take it. (I think...)

BTW, here is a midi I made quite a few years ago when I played a lot of Hexen.

http://members.xoom.com/hiput/cave.mid