Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zombie

Doom 3 - To Be or Not To Be

Guest Zombie

Hello all. This Doom 3 thing has had a lot of discussion, and I just thought that I would share my thoughts on the issue. I have been playing action games since Wolf 3d, and think that the game that I was most involved with was Doom and Doom II. I think that it is a great idea to make a Doom III, but also feel that it may be hurting the legendary original Doom. I feel this way, because Doom went down in history, and is going to be revived via state of the art technology. People may not remember the old Doom and instead will know the new Doom. But, I am still looking forward to this upcoming materpiece, and hope they just do a really, really good job on it. I should have some information on it in the future posted on ActionArena.com.

Guest Nerull

I see your point, but I think that a modernized version of Doom can only bring more attention to the original. For instance, when I was younger I went and saw "Friday the 13th Part 4" and loved it...and it made me go back and see what started it all. I think that those who are making Doom 3 would REALLY have to mess it up badly in order to make a whole new generation of gamers ignore the previous installations of the game. Then again, I thought it would be pretty hard to mess up "Mortyr", but sure enough, whoever made it screwed the "Nazi killing" genre royally. Either way, I think sites like this are doing a great job of keeping Doom alive, and as long as there are forums to keep the next generation informed, Doom will keep it's place as a classic. Now if only Doom were more readily available in software stores and Wal-Mart packaged with all the latest innovations like JDoom, ZDoom, etc, at a sweet price...

Guest Adasciti

I see what your saying. Its like the movie industry. They take great classic movies. Like the best movies and then they go and make a remake or movie based on the theme. Eg Godzilla, The Avengers, and inspecter Gadget(did I spell that right?) lost attention because I heard from people that they sucked and weren't anything like the originals. So in a way this new doom could hurt dooms well know image as a classic game that few other titles have had as much hype. I hope they take as much time in creating a well polished Doom3 instead of just release it early. Quake2 was very disapointing because it didn't deliever what was promised in the ads (Enemies that think and hunt u down! Blah).

BTW I heard way back in the day that there was gonna be a DOOM Movie did anyone hear about this too?

Yeah I heard about the DOOM movie. Doomworld posted a trailer for it a long time ago. It said the movie was coming in 2004.

Guest zombie
Adasciti said:

I see what your saying. Its like the movie industry. They take great classic movies. Like the best movies and then they go and make a remake or movie based on the theme. Eg Godzilla, The Avengers, and inspecter Gadget(did I spell that right?) lost attention because I heard from people that they sucked and weren't anything like the originals. So in a way this new doom could hurt dooms well know image as a classic game that few other titles have had as much hype. I hope they take as much time in creating a well polished Doom3 instead of just release it early. Quake2 was very disapointing because it didn't deliever what was promised in the ads (Enemies that think and hunt u down! Blah).

BTW I heard way back in the day that there was gonna be a DOOM Movie did anyone hear about this too?

Ya, I sure as hell hope that Doom 3 doesn't end up being as big a mistake as the Inspector Gadget movie was. I used to LOVE Inspector Gadget as a kid. When I heard that they where making a movie about it, I thought "Oh great...they're gonna screw up BIG time.", and they did. It has to be one of the most worst, irrelivant movies to exist. I sure hope that id knows what they are doing!

Guest BA Barrackas
Windowpain said:

Yeah I heard about the DOOM movie. Doomworld posted a trailer for it a long time ago. It said the movie was coming in 2004.

Sorry to tell ya, but the DooM movie was canned (officially) some time last year. There was a small article about it in the UK PC Gamer. It's annoying, cos a DooM movie would have been class.

Guest Mariner

TO BE!!!!! OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!