Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bad Luck Ranger

Plot Idea:-

Here's my idea for the plot for Doom3:-

It's been several years since the invasion of Phobos and Deimos that then led to the Demons coming to Earth. Humanity prevailed until the UAC Star Crusier; Exodus was pulled into the gravity-well of Mars. The crew gained control but lost fuel in the process it then transpired to the Commander of the star crusier that the long abandoned UAC research stations on Phobos and Deimos had refueling ports. The ship lands and that's not even the beggining!
The Commander sends out a few recon teams only to find that they have disappeared... soon the crew members in the ship itself are going missing. The Commander was able to send out a distress call before succumbing to the Demons himself.

2 Weeks later.

The UAC contacts the guy named only as Doom. It's been years since he was on Phobos he was reluctant but aggreed to spearhead the rescue mission, him and and a few squads are sent... why a few squads? Well, the UAC have been picking up some strange readings from the abandoned base, Doom didn't know of this nor did any of the other Space Marines.
They get to the Hanger only to find dead and decomposing bodies of the Exodus crew, Doom knows who did this and securing his helmet he and the squads move on deeper into the Hanger. This time he's prepared.

Cool story, that one got me moderatly freaked out when i tried to figure out what the captain on the ship felt like when the crew started disapearing =)

But it would be cooler if Doom is the captain of the spaceship, everyone else has disappeared, you don't know why or how, and you are sitting all alone somewhere on the ship when they come to get the last one... you
*game starts*

Guest Flamingsnotball

If you didn't know, the man only known as Doom has a real name according to the book series, CORPORAL FLYNN TAGGART USMC SERIAL No 888-23-9912

Guest Relajo

Well, the plot is cool, and something cool about Doom was that you were another soldier and not the SOB of the USMC, so the idea of having back CORPORAL FLYNN TAGGART is pretty neat....

Something good will be to get back to hell, but a REAL hell.....
u get the idea

Flamingsnotball said:

If you didn't know, the man only known as Doom has a real name according to the book series, CORPORAL FLYNN TAGGART USMC SERIAL No 888-23-9912

So it wasn't just me, they do exist!
Several yeasr ago I saw an ad for the Doom books. A few weeks ago I remembered this fact but didn't know it it was just me or if they were real. Does anyone know of a website where I'll be able to buy the book series? Thanx people for your imput and shit... cuz I've read a few other peoples ideas and they're like set a few hundred years after the first game??? My idea was mainly brought on the character basis of Riply from the Alien films, no matter how much she doesn't want to face the aliens she's thrust right into them, if you get what I mean???

I suppose what could happen is that the first level is set on the UAC Exodus where you play Captain and you're whole goal is to send the distress call... or maybe you meet up woth the Captain later in the game or even he could be part of the Demon force... actually here's a completely spontaneous idea:

The Captain is stranded in the Phobos research facility, he's only got a few Cells left in his plasmagun, his only hope is to send a distress call, his crew have gone missing then suddenly he's attacked by an Imp, he kills it in fact it's unrecognisable and now he's got no ammo! He goes deeper into the tunnels only to find some of the original security crew members of the Exodus, but they attack the Captain, they've obviously been transformed he fights them with just his knuckles he takes a few down until he's captured he's then turned and then sent to ther Exodus to send the distress call. So that people would come, more people... so Corporal Flynn Taggart and the UAC troops were set up!!!

That sounds ok??

DiSTuRBeD said:

Cool story, that one got me moderatly freaked out when i tried to figure out what the captain on the ship felt like when the crew started disapearing =)

But it would be cooler if Doom is the captain of the spaceship, everyone else has disappeared, you don't know why or how, and you are sitting all alone somewhere on the ship when they come to get the last one... you
*game starts*

Thanx Disturbed... you have to admit that if that were to happen the Captain would suddenly realise that he ain't got a chance in hell of surviving because his ship ain't got enough fuel to get back to Earth, his crew are most probably dead so... anyway, has anyone else given out their plot ideas?

Did ID ever, ever once care about the storylines for the original Doom, Quake, Quake 2, or their latest game?

I've already accepted that Doom 3 will most likely not have any form of a storyline whatsoever. The game istelf will probably have a plot, with NPC marines and your objectives, but in the whole how you got there and what you do afterwards will probably be left in the air.

If it's going to have a story then ID will contract an outside writer, since they've never tried something like that before. Anyone remember the ending from Doom64? "You decide to stay in Hell to make sure no demons return." Yikes.

Then again, what if we guess the plot in this message board? Wouldn't you feel somewhat disappointed when you complete the game?

I'm not even worried about it.

Quake had a storyline so did Quake2 in fact that was storyline heavy... it was the first Id game to actually have FMV.
As fof Q3 every single character has a back story, those ideas must have had some imput.
I'm just putting an idea up out of boredom... what would the storyline be... Doomguy got bored killed loads of demons one day??? It's mainly just an idea... come to think of it how come there was a whole host of Doom inspired novels??? That's why I would like to find them.

Bad Luck Ranger said:

Thanx Disturbed... you have to admit that if that were to happen the Captain would suddenly realise that he ain't got a chance in hell of surviving because his ship ain't got enough fuel to get back to Earth, his crew are most probably dead so... anyway, has anyone else given out their plot ideas?

Hey I like the idea of being the Captain, someone who has never fought the Demons before, that would definitely be a change of pace from the old "for the 5 billionth time you have to go save the world" crap that seems to always be the story for every modification for DOOM I play. Also, maybe there could be a guest appearance by Flynn Taggart, where just as it seems you're a gonner he shows up to the rescue. That would kick butt!

Bad Luck Ranger said:

Quake had a storyline so did Quake2 in fact that was storyline heavy... it was the first Id game to actually have FMV.
As fof Q3 every single character has a back story, those ideas must have had some imput.
I'm just putting an idea up out of boredom... what would the storyline be... Doomguy got bored killed loads of demons one day??? It's mainly just an idea... come to think of it how come there was a whole host of Doom inspired novels??? That's why I would like to find them.

Try reading the Doom Bible and all those text screens in the end of the original dooms, and the story from the doom manual (i think there's one there). There's actually a very good story behind doom, it just doesn't come out so easily.
Doom1, episode 1, you are on a moon base that's mystically disappeared, then you see that it's now in orbit around hell itself, you go down there to find a way home in episode 3 etc...

Bad Luck Ranger said:

I was actually really thinking that doom came back from hell after doom1\2 and then started working as a captain on a spaceships. Then heavily stress his despair.. "oh no, not again!!"

It's still doom ya know =)

Flamingsnotball said:

I don´t want a lame Corporal Flinch Toggeld who enerves me with stupid comments. The main character of Doom III should just be a "spacemarine", and that is you. It would be good if you could identify yourself with the charakter, and therefore it is necessary to make him "quit" and not act like a seperate individual. Like in "Soldier of Fortune" this dumb John Mullins pissed me off and remembered me all the time, that he is the main character and I just may look through his eyes during the game, that was shit.

Guest JudgeDooM
deadnail said:

Did ID ever, ever once care about the storylines for the original Doom, Quake, Quake 2, or their latest game?

I've already accepted that Doom 3 will most likely not have any form of a storyline whatsoever. The game istelf will probably have a plot, with NPC marines and your objectives, but in the whole how you got there and what you do afterwards will probably be left in the air.

If it's going to have a story then ID will contract an outside writer, since they've never tried something like that before. Anyone remember the ending from Doom64? "You decide to stay in Hell to make sure no demons return." Yikes.

Then again, what if we guess the plot in this message board? Wouldn't you feel somewhat disappointed when you complete the game?

I'm not even worried about it.

"...You decide to stay in hell and ensure no demon ever rises again.." I was almost forgotting that. That's right, what about the real Doomguy a.k.a. Flynn Taggart?
It would be cool to first play the Exodus captain and then, you arrive in hell later in the game and meet Flynn. There, the captain is helped by Flynn and you could team up with him. Or you could choose to play as Flynn from there.
Anyway, the storyline of the new Doom must interfere with the end of Doom 64. BTW, do someone know where I can get the picture of the end of Doom 64, I find it so beautiful.

Guest Bobbert005
DiSTuRBeD said:

Try reading the Doom Bible and all those text screens in the end of the original dooms, and the story from the doom manual (i think there's one there). There's actually a very good story behind doom, it just doesn't come out so easily.
Doom1, episode 1, you are on a moon base that's mystically disappeared, then you see that it's now in orbit around hell itself, you go down there to find a way home in episode 3 etc...

What if Flynn Taggart had been posessed by demons a short time after Doom64 (since he was staying in hell) and is now leading the hellspawn a la Spider Mastermind? Then you could fight him in a kind of Quake 3 deathmatch style in the end. Kind of stupid, but it makes a great plot twist.

I'll admit Quake 2 had a plot to it, but not without mentioning that it was a mere fraction of what Heretic 2 had.

Most of the gameplay in Quake 2 was finding what you needed to open the next door or blowing up a preset target.

The storyline to the Doom games fit nicely on one page, and Quake's fit nicely on two. I remember a language warning on the box just because the story to Quake 1 had the word 'asshole' in it. Funny.

I have read the Doom bible, and it seems 80% of it at least never made it into the game. The story was also changed dramatically. Half-Life's story was written by an outside party, a novelist if I'm correct.

In any case, a WRITER should write the story with guidelines set by the game creation team. It should not be a direction to head in before the game and then brutally raped of it's dignity and watered down just enough so that your only purpose is to kill everything, flip every switch, find every key, and blow up what the game tells you to blow up. That's old. I'm sure ID will surprise us here.

Anyways Doom never really NEEDED a storyline until I read the booklet of Heretic and felt that ID just skipped it. I know better now, but you have to admit that Raven has always given much more of a damn about story.

deadnail

Tetzlaff said:

I don´t want a lame Corporal Flinch Toggeld who enerves me with stupid comments. The main character of Doom III should just be a "spacemarine", and that is you. It would be good if you could identify yourself with the charakter, and therefore it is necessary to make him "quit" and not act like a seperate individual. Like in "Soldier of Fortune" this dumb John Mullins pissed me off and remembered me all the time, that he is the main character and I just may look through his eyes during the game, that was shit.

You're right.
Would you be shouting all of these strange comments and crap if you were in his position?
Personally I would probably never speak again (or at least until i got back home or i would scream from pain). Shouting and talking not only contribute to insanity, but also to giving your location away. Imagine a movie where you are the badguy and you are running from the cops, you don't talk, just make stepping noises and breath heavily.

He should have a realistic name, just like any other sentient characters (good guys) that might be in the game (friendly bots with different characteristics). The name should only be for players to identify with. Flynn Taggart should'nt be the only character you can play either (female soldiers too, like Q2 & Q3 had).

Guest DeAD Stuff
deadnail said:

you are wrong about half-life...
the valve story writer (yes,he WAS a novelist) is an integrant part of valve team..
His name is mark laidalw.
anyway,doom has a story ( not just the doom bible ep 1 is a cool story with many possibilities,take the uac theme,i think it is a good background , maybe this corporation want to control the demon and use them as bio weapon,just like aliens...)
and IMHO would be cool too if id make a remake of the first with a better story and better places.
fight the old main character would be cool to,just like diablo 2.
anyway,not in a deatmatch...

All I want in Doom 3 is nostalgia, I'd like to see some of the original levels but totally wrecked (scabbed over brown blood stains on the walls and floors... skeletal remains etc.) That's why I said that the chracater should play the original DoomGuy (who I've know found out is called Flynn Taggart). In Quake2 you could play it as a female but ending FMV clearly had a male's arm and the drop pod had the name "Bitterman". The female character was used for female deathmatch gamers.

I can't believe that my small post has now acumilated over 15 replies now!! Thanx guys!

Guest DeAD Stuff

"I can't believe that my small post has now acumilated over 15 replies now!! Thanx guys! "
nothing,just 50 bucks!!!!!!!!!

anyway,nostalgia is cool.
like half-life opfor.
it were great to explore the area you saw from the train in hl beginning.
but doom has some level that really sucks in architecture means if you see today's game....
maybe just picking the best areas,like the beginnign room of e1m1

Guest DeAD Stuff
Tetzlaff said:

damn you are right!!!!!!!!!
sof was just a movie with interactive section!!!!!
any way,i enjoied sof,it was...funny

DeAD Stuff said:

"I can't believe that my small post has now acumilated over 15 replies now!! Thanx guys! "
nothing,just 50 bucks!!!!!!!!!

anyway,nostalgia is cool.
like half-life opfor.
it were great to explore the area you saw from the train in hl beginning.
but doom has some level that really sucks in architecture means if you see today's game....
maybe just picking the best areas,like the beginnign room of e1m1

With today's mapping abilities the mappers'll be able to create the original ideas of the some of the Doom levels how Id Software originally pictured them abit what George Lucas did with Star Wars (I'm not saying Id should do a re-make of Doom but with todays technology).

Bobbert005 said:

What if Flynn Taggart had been posessed by demons a short time after Doom64 (since he was staying in hell) and is now leading the hellspawn a la Spider Mastermind? Then you could fight him in a kind of Quake 3 deathmatch style in the end. Kind of stupid, but it makes a great plot twist.

That's a really good idea. Maybe i'll build a level, and use that as the story =)

Bad Luck Ranger said:

With today's mapping abilities the mappers'll be able to create the original ideas of the some of the Doom levels how Id Software originally pictured them abit what George Lucas did with Star Wars (I'm not saying Id should do a re-make of Doom but with todays technology).

I really don't like the name "Flynn Taggart." But I do think that the original Doomguy should be the main carachter, not some fat-ass officer type bitch.

How about Butch? ;)