Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DeAD Stuff

what you DON'T want to see in the new doom

Guest DeAD Stuff

every one talks about what they want to see in the new doom,so.....

Guest Int86x

What I don't want to see is another Quake3 Sound track in it. Quake3 was just noise. It was no good. I want some good deep moody music, like Bobby Prince can do. No NIN, or rock, or techno crap. I want what made the original doom so great.

Guest DeAD Stuff
Bad Luck Ranger said:

Hmmm? Supprisingly that is actually a hard question! I wouldn't like to see too many weapons. A maximum should be 10.

well...
i want more MORE than 10 weapons.

Guest kaos-teknik

I don't wanna see any fuc*ing laser/space/alien weapons or portable rocket launcher while holding a container of missiles in your pockets. Every time I see those kind of weapons I always say "What the hell is that shit, again!".

The best weapons are the "real ones" in half-life.

DeAD Stuff said:

well...
i want more MORE than 10 weapons.

I want more than 10 weapons and less than 20 weapons...would say 12-14 weapons.

What I really don´t want to see in the new Doom:
-No movie cutscenes which interrupt gameplay
-No Satan Lord of evil who can get killed with human weapons
-No boring "realistic" weapons wich look all the same
-No funny jokes inside the game (but on the other hand it also shouldn´t take itself too serious)
-No 20th-century cars and motorbikes
-No killing of innocent characters

It should come with a music selector, maybe. In any case, the music should not be rap, r&b, or country. If it comes out as polka then Carmack better move to Canada.

I do NOT want to see shotgun shells being ejected from the barrel of the gun just like every other Quake engine game.

I do NOT want the game to have a language warning on the box just because the storyline has a sophmoric word in it.

I do NOT want a boss that can be shot to death in under five minutes. Those battles should last a good ten to fifteen and be extremly challenging.

I do NOT want the enemy AI to rely on cheating, ie tracing your character behind walls.

I do NOT want the same suicidal enemies, they should team up, retreat, flank and generally be more difficult to defeat.

I do NOT want a rail gun in there. It just doesn't belong in Doom.

I do NOT want your character to go unpunished if you decide to kill innocent bystanders or fellow marines, the damage should come right out of your HP and not theirs. *I agree*

I do NOT want the level editor to run like mud on a normal system. I have 256 megs of SDRAM and UnrealEd runs like absolute shit.

I do NOT want prerendered FMV. I fucking hate that grainy puke and it's long since time that it burns in hell. Why does Decent 3 take up 500 megs for the game and 500 megs for the movies?

I do NOT want all fancy ass Unreal style GI Joe cartoon phaser guns. At least HALF the guns need to be based on real life weapons and act accordingly.

I do NOT want a single weapon to be able to make an instant kill in deathmatch. If nothing else I want a 'Maximum Damage' variable in server setup, and the ability to filter your search results so that you can choose a server based on every individual preference of yours. "No user levels, max damage 75, weapons stay..."

Here's a thought, blast an Imp in the crotch. Would it grab there and whimper or what? Do Imps have genetalia? Think about it for a minute, just don't think about it too much...

Tetzlaff said:

I want more than 10 weapons and less than 20 weapons...would say 12-14 weapons.

What I really don´t want to see in the new Doom:
-No movie cutscenes which interrupt gameplay
-No Satan Lord of evil who can get killed with human weapons
-No boring "realistic" weapons wich look all the same
-No funny jokes inside the game (but on the other hand it also shouldn´t take itself too serious)
-No 20th-century cars and motorbikes
-No killing of innocent characters

*Well, I dont want to see the punch as a weapon - turn it into Hand to Hand combat, a punch does almost no damage but HtH in general can kill a human (neckbreaker and stuff).

*I dont want to see anything that sways the game plot too far over to the satanic side or the alienistic side - doom64 sways the plot too far over to the satanic side.

*I want to see at least 4 techy guns like plasma or lasers.

*I don't want to see the player carrying more than 10 rockets at a time unless they're not carrying any other ammo, I also don't want to see quick reloading either, if the rocket launcher is single-shot, it should take at least 5 sec to reload it - ditto for any other weaps like combat shotgun (hope they use Q2/q3 style double shotgun instead of the doom2 one).

*The bfg must be an instant kill for players if they're splintered (direct hit), but not for the spray thingy, and it must have splash damage other than the spray (like rocket does).

*I don*t want to hear the player talking other than screams of pain (no words or scentences, talking to yourself in that situtation is sure to drive you insane).

*I want the ability to turn off FMV if I want, and if so, not even have the CD in my cd-drive (for music).

*I also want the ability to run from cd but also to have my modified stuff on my HD recognized and used at the same time.

*No innocent characters, by the time the player arrives, they would have already been killed/eaten (no hiding researchers or colonists please, uh oh... did I say colonists?).

*I don't want to see my marine carrying around 150 lbs of equipment and running as fast as a horse. The player should run at a realistic speed and be slowed down by encumbrance (to teach a lesson to those BFG'rs, BFG should be very heavy like 80 lbs or something).

*I want to see advanced versions of all the weapons, no more of this wooden-grip shotgun crap.

*I want to see multiple levels of weapons for each type:
*melee, *pistols, *spread guns, *rifles, *explosives, *energy. 2 or 3 levels for each one (zombie rifle -> auto rifle -> chaingun).

*I don't want to see anymore stupid big monsters. A baron should be lethal not only in combat but in cunning as well. A cyberdemon should be a genius and therefore take almost 10 minutes to kill, he should also be bullet proof because he looks armor-plated.

kaos-teknik said:

I don't wanna see any fuc*ing laser/space/alien weapons or portable rocket launcher while holding a container of missiles in your pockets. Every time I see those kind of weapons I always say "What the hell is that shit, again!".

Why do you want those boring "realistic" all-the-same-looking weapons in a game like Doom? Go and play Half-life! A game isn´t good when it just tries to be as "realistic" as possible and fun gets lost.
By the way, I also don´t want alien nor laser weapons. But Doom-weapons like the plasma rifle are just damn cool.

Int86x said:

No NIN

My new best friend!! wwwwuuuuzzzzaaaaaaaa??

Tetzlaff said:

Why do you want those boring "realistic" all-the-same-looking weapons in a game like Doom? Go and play Half-life! A game isn´t good when it just tries to be as "realistic" as possible and fun gets lost.
By the way, I also don´t want alien nor laser weapons. But Doom-weapons like the plasma rifle are just damn cool.

The game should look realistic, but still keep the same principals that doom had to begin with. The main problem with making a game is striking a good balance between gameplay and reality, if it was totally realistic, it wouldn't be any fun to play (like a simulator). But if it is totally based for gameplay, it loses it's realistic touch (and is boring because it gets really cheezy).

As far as the techy weapons, they should have those but only designed under HUMAN architecture - no organic shaped alien or bionic weapons (like that thingy off of HL). Stuff that looks really complex and heavy (like BFG was, it almost looked like a technical instrument instead of a weapon).

Guest DooMsDaY_

No more stupid enemies.. Blood2 is a perfect example.
NO enemies with 10 frames each
i excpect to see enemies that avoid player's attacks like ducking,jumping propably. Think that you have just jumped on a place higher from the ground and unreachable by the enemies. Should the foes be running arround beeing striked by massive firepower just because they are too fat to jump? What would you do if you were them ?

Another flaw is the sceptic : if you see them they'll see you...
that sounds like wrong. I see the enemy's feet and then i duck to see it better. Then it looks at my face and finds out i look ugly and attacks furiously.. dumb.

While the enemies are idle and just standing about, should do realistic idle sounds. Enemies from Quake2 are not quite right on this matter. If I were the enemy I wouldnt moan like that,giving away my position to my foe. OK i agree it's use is practical only. But not realistic. Sounds to me like super-predicted behaviour- boring.

Ever since Quake2 got into play,more and more games use colored lighting..sure i agree. BUT
i dont want to shoot monsters in the land of the rainbow. id should better put colors wisely.. And sure again,everyday life is full of colors,but ask yourself.Why are games' colored areas so far from reality ?

That's all about now. I shall bother you more at a future time..

sirgalahadwizar said:

The game should look realistic, but still keep the same principals that doom had to begin with. The main problem with making a game is striking a good balance between gameplay and reality, if it was totally realistic, it wouldn't be any fun to play (like a simulator). But if it is totally based for gameplay, it loses it's realistic touch (and is boring because it gets really cheezy).

As far as the techy weapons, they should have those but only designed under HUMAN architecture - no organic shaped alien or bionic weapons (like that thingy off of HL). Stuff that looks really complex and heavy (like BFG was, it almost looked like a technical instrument instead of a weapon).

Right! This is exactly what I mean.
One thing I want to see to get a feeling of beeing in a real world is: I don´t want to see claustrophobic skyboxes, I want to see a neverending sky and a far horizon.

Int86x said:

What I don't want to see is another Quake3 Sound track in it. Quake3 was just noise. It was no good. I want some good deep moody music, like Bobby Prince can do. No NIN, or rock, or techno crap. I want what made the original doom so great.

Oh, how I agree.

Guest ZarcyB
deadnail said:

Heh, here's what I DON'T want to see:

FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Flamingsnotball
Lüt said:

My new best friend!! wwwwuuuuzzzzaaaaaaaa??

You've watched SCARY MOVIE too much.
and my toilet is more pissed (heheheh) than ever about the shotgun shell......

Guest Sabreclaw
kaos-teknik said:

Honestly, Realistic weapons are good, but you have to understand DooM is set in the future, and there would probably be some higher-tech weapons. So they may have developed mini-rockets. Alien-tech sounds horrible, but they need to keep the Plasma Rifle, and keep the BFG decent!

I don't want to see them keep the number of weapons limited to 10 weapons. Nor would I like to see the marine carry 10 weapons at a time. He wouldn't be able to move! There should be weapon limits. That way you have to decide which weapon is more valuable to you when you get to a new one.

Guest Sabreclaw
sirgalahadwizar said:

Perhaps there should be a kick button. Not a weapon number that allows you to only kick, but like the kick key in Duke. Honestly, it's great to kick an enemy away to buy you some time to reload a shotgun. Then if there are anymore of those wooden doors like those in the first two, you could breach the door with your foot.

I'm tired of everything being automatic. If you want to hit a switch, hit the "use" key. Sometimes its nice to have automatic doors though.

The main key to getting smarter monsters is giving them the ability to move while firing like the player does (notice how all of the ground-based enemies allways stop, then shoot?) They also need to sidestep. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how high you set the difficulty, they'll still be the same stupid monster.