Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DarkMage

Doom3 BFG changes

Guest DarkMage

first, i would like to say that the BFG stands for Blast-Feild-Gun. In doom3, instead of firing a big beachball, it should fire something like the battlecruiser's yamato cannon from the game Starcraft. When u press th fire botten, a long warm-up sqeal should play for at least 10 seconds, with peices of glowing particles being sucked into the gun. Then there is dead silence for 1/2 second and large meteor like thing should fire out of the front of your gun. The projectile should travel at a very fast speed (10*the speed of a plasma shot). it should also temporarily blind the shooter for 2 seconds and knock the shooter back 64 units. Also, the gun should intantly kill anyone who gets hit by the projectile and a large shockwave should form killing anyone unlucky enough to be in its path including the shooter. And finally, the gun should take something like 120 cells to shoot and have a 2 minute cooldown.
That would prevent people in deathmatch games to randomly shoot BFG balls in every angle. Carrieng the BFG should also decrease your speed by 2/3 (you only run 1/3 as fast).

Guest Kaopectate

Well...
I think that the BFG should be what it was intended...like I said in my reply to a post about 20 messages down...

DooM's focus is more Solo-Play than Multiplayer...
Think, if all you had left was cells what a pain that would be to use the bfg, plus knocking back so many units and blinding would totally messup a person in a solo-play game in most levels...Think of what that would do in that DooM 2 level (I think it's Circle of Death but I might have the title wrong)...

Besides...they could always make it work differently in just multiplayer.

...But that's just my opinion...

Guest dracul

I quite liked the BFG in Q3 if they kept the speed of the
gun something similar but changed the damage on it we could
be on to something pretty cool.

But all that aside if the game aint got a chainsaw in it
I aint playing it !!!!!

Guest Bobbert005

BFG does NOT stand for Blast-Field Gun, and if you want proof, read a Quake II manual. It clearly calls the BFG a big freakin' gun.

The BFG is somewhat different in every game, and that idea was good except for the 2min cooldown =) Sparesly ammount of ammo for it would do the trick.

Guest DooMsDaY_
Bobbert005 said:

BFG does NOT stand for Blast-Field Gun, and if you want proof, read a Quake II manual. It clearly calls the BFG a big freakin' gun.

Wrong you are I am sorry to say :P
The BFG stands for big fucking gun,the quake3 manual say excactly this
"stands for big uhmm.. freakin' gun..."
what did you expect to write in an official manual?
to swear in it? i think not.
this uhmm expression-like word give you all the answer you need.

Guest DooMsDaY_

Correction.
That,the quake2 manual says.
I guess I need some sleep right away...

Guest DarkMage
Kaopectate said:

Well...
I think that the BFG should be what it was intended...like I said in my reply to a post about 20 messages down...

DooM's focus is more Solo-Play than Multiplayer...
Think, if all you had left was cells what a pain that would be to use the bfg, plus knocking back so many units and blinding would totally messup a person in a solo-play game in most levels...Think of what that would do in that DooM 2 level (I think it's Circle of Death but I might have the title wrong)...

Besides...they could always make it work differently in just multiplayer.

...But that's just my opinion...

First, level 11 of doom 2 has 2 names. In the automap it says "'O' of Destruction" and in the endgame intermission it says "Circle of Death". Secondly, 64 units isn't that big of a distance (about the size of a standard teleport pad). Third, the BFG was meant to be used VERY sparsely so the 120 cells and the 2 minute cool down are justified. Third, since the BFG took so much energy to operate, the flash from the gun should temporarily blind you. Considering that the BGH can kill something like 30 imps in 1 shot does justify the side effects.
It will force players to use other weapons other than the BFG and in deathmatch, it will reduce the annoyance of being killed 6 times in a row by a BFG'er alot.

Guest Bobbert005
Mithrandir said:

Actually, it stands for "Big Flowers Grow."

Yeah, and there'll be new monsters in Doom3 that llok like big gray boulders that throw you up onto the ceiling...:)

The BFG is one of those compression technologies, and by that I mean it takes a big gun that would normally be on a tank or mech os some sort (like a Gundam :-) and makes it small enough for a lowly creature like a human to carry. It's like giving a baby a shotgun - one of those situations where the shooter definatly cannot take the damage he dishes out.

I think "Blast-Field Gun" would be a rational name for it, but "Big Fucking Gun" would be something the soldiers would nickname it instead.

Guest Kaopectate
DarkMage said:

First, level 11 of doom 2 has 2 names. In the automap it says "'O' of Destruction" and in the endgame intermission it says "Circle of Death". Secondly, 64 units isn't that big of a distance (about the size of a standard teleport pad). Third, the BFG was meant to be used VERY sparsely so the 120 cells and the 2 minute cool down are justified. Third, since the BFG took so much energy to operate, the flash from the gun should temporarily blind you. Considering that the BGH can kill something like 30 imps in 1 shot does justify the side effects.
It will force players to use other weapons other than the BFG and in deathmatch, it will reduce the annoyance of being killed 6 times in a row by a BFG'er alot.

Thought it said 164..sorry.

If you researched a little bit more (BFG FAQ) you would learn how to very easily avoid getting hit by the BFG in deathmatch, and I was focusing more on single-play. Besides, it's not just that it kills like 30 Imps, the direct hit takes the most damage (a random number within some guidlines, I forget), then the engine traces in a cone shape extending from the player and the enemies closest to the front get hit and whatever remaining damage from that trace goes to the enemies directly behind it in the trace and so on...so if you shoot directly at a baron in a room with some revenants nearby and a whole bunch of imps right behind, chances are most of the imps wont get touched...

Guest Sabreclaw
DarkMage said:

I think the downsides to the BFG are what balance it out. I honestly thought the 10k from Q2 was the best. But if you're launching a ball of plasma that big, it should have a bigger blast area. This would limit players from using this in a small room....because you should get fragged for it. And no more if the enemy is on the screen, it gets hit....It's not very good.

Guest Intestinalworm
Kaopectate said:

Thought it said 164..sorry.

If you researched a little bit more (BFG FAQ) you would learn how to very easily avoid getting hit by the BFG in deathmatch, and I was focusing more on single-play. Besides, it's not just that it kills like 30 Imps, the direct hit takes the most damage (a random number within some guidlines, I forget), then the engine traces in a cone shape extending from the player and the enemies closest to the front get hit and whatever remaining damage from that trace goes to the enemies directly behind it in the trace and so on...so if you shoot directly at a baron in a room with some revenants nearby and a whole bunch of imps right behind, chances are most of the imps wont get touched...

Here is a list of all the BFGs I have ever used in a game or mod
1)BFG 9000-If you don't now what this does leave this site now and forever hang your head in shame.
2)BFG 10k-ditto
3)BFGQIII:A-I figure this isn't a true BFG
4)BFG 2704-doom beta version, shoots a TON of muti-coloured fireballs
5)BFG 20k-shoots rapid fire homing plasma balls in primary and a big BFG 10k style ball in alt. fire. From U4EUT
6)Unholy BFG-from a Quake1 mod. Shoots a massive radioactive ball that explodes and shoots thunderbolt streams,radioactive dust and a blinding flash.Has a built in pentagram to protect you from the shot (Its only active from charge up to explosion)
7)BFG3k-another Q1 mod. it has three levels of power: low-shoots a hitscan explosive, high-shoots a slow moving laser that has a massive explosion and randomly throws bouncing plasma grenades as it flies.
8)Tula made prototype of the Korolev MPL22-a russion made BFG. Similar to the BFG10k only the ball is red and shoots flame spurts instead of lasers. The area effect is higher and catches strogg on fire.