Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Doom 3 engine

The Wolfenstein games used the Wolfenstein engine. Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom used the Doom engine. The Quakes used the Quake engine. So what will the engine for Doom 3 be called? Just something to think about...

Hehe, uh, big graphics improvement between Q1 and Q2... Probably just be called the "DooM" engine by next gen gamers, and "New DooM", or "DooM3" engine by us. Are you sure those quake engines are all the same?...Whoa, Damn...

actually the all three quakes have a different engine ( well quake 3 obviously) well thats what i ve heard actually quake 2 might just use a heavily modified quake engine cause ive heard that about half-life and that used the quake 2 engine... uh i dont know what im talking about forget it

Jeremy said:

Hehe, uh, big graphics improvement between Q1 and Q2... Probably just be called the "DooM" engine by next gen gamers, and "New DooM", or "DooM3" engine by us. Are you sure those quake engines are all the same?...Whoa, Damn...

Doom and Doom 2 use the Doom engine. So does Heretic and Hexen.

Rise Of The Triad uses a modified Wolf3D engine.

Quake 1 has it's own engine.

Quake 2 has a much better engine. SOF still uses it.

Quake 3 has a much better graphics end of the engine. It's capable of the geometry needed for curves, but it doesn't seem to have much interactivity as the Quake 2 engine did.

The New Wolfenstien game will utilize the Q3 engine, as does the Heavy Metal: FAKK 2 game that's already out and getting excellent reviews.

Duke Nukem 4 Ever will use a heavily modified Unreal Tournament engine.

Guest Epiphany
masterhassan said:

actually the all three quakes have a different engine ( well quake 3 obviously) well thats what i ve heard actually quake 2 might just use a heavily modified quake engine cause ive heard that about half-life and that used the quake 2 engine... uh i dont know what im talking about forget it

You are right - you don't know what your talking about. Each Quake game used a slightly modified engine from it's predecessor. Basically Carmack just added in more bullshit to make it less compatable and run slower at the expense of minor graphical improvements. I assume he will continue the trend and make the Doom 3 engine a bigger pile of shit then the Quake 3 engine is.

masterhassan said:

All the quakes, actually just uses the Quake1 engine with new features and stuff... it's pretty much the same. a LOT of games use some sort of quake engine (Daikatana, Half-life, sin (?), and many more).
I guess the D3 engine will be called something funky like 'trinity' or some shit =)

Guest BloodLustX
masterhassan said:

I thought Carmack is making the engine from scratch for Doom3.