Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Doom weapons

All these people saying that the new Doom should use real life weapons. Uh, no. Half-life can get away with it as it seems to be set in the near future (a couple of decades or so), but seeing as Doom seems to be set at least a couple of centuries from now, that would be like someone using a blunderbuss or something nowadays.

I'm not saying that the only weapons should be laser or plasma weapons or what-have-you, but weapons are in development all the time in real-life and I'm sure there will be significant advantages between now and whenever the new Doom game will be set.

I think the new game should have some weapons specifically designed for the hostile environments of space, Mars, etc. A couple of experimental weapons like in System Shock 1 and Half-life would be cool too.

Guest bubba smith

good point, maybe in the future we wont have enough recources to produce metal bullets and gunpowder, doom needs some new technology

Yes Futuristic weapons fit nicely into Doom's universe. Lets just leave realistic weapons to user created mods ok? I actually got a idea for some melee weapons.

1. Combat Knife, Classic Chainsaw, Power Fist (Anyone ever play Fallout? This melee weapon rips!), Mega Power Fist (Fallout 2, even more powerfull, but longer delay between swings, cuz it's heavier) The power fist and mega power fist do immense damage, but use energy cells, so u will have to revert back to chainsaw or combat knife.

Guest TossMonkey

I think at least we should have some *familiar* weapons eh?
I would dearly miss filling some demons with my buckshot if it was all futuristic and stuff!! Hmm a good mix of old and new should be just great!

Id might even do the original BFG idea which got removed from the original alpha versions. I cant remember it exactly but it sounded cool!

I think melee weapons are very cool, bring back the fist with the cool ring on it!!

Bullets will be used even a thousand years from now - unless radical armor is developed that makes them useless.

Bullets are very convienient, there wouldn't be any rifles or shotguns in the sense that we know of. The m-16 turned into the M-4 carbine, a more compact and functionl weapon. Maybe it will turn into something more functional like that machinegun on "aliens" or that gun they had on "The Fifth Element" - the one that shot all sorts of ammo out of it. Not to mention High-Explosive bullets, they would do as much damage as plasma-gun bolts on doom/2.

Even shotguns would probably still exist just because of their capability to do lots of damage at a cheap price. They would look different as well, all with clips/drums and semi-automatic firing.

On Half-Life they didn't have any m-16s, they had mp-5s with grenade launchers on them - that says that the mp5+grenade is a better combination for that combat arena because it's lighter and easier to use.

Maybe thay will just do away with the pistol and replace it with a compact MP-5 gun (without stock, very short- with a handle past the clip) because it is about as accurate, about as small, and much more dangerous.

bubba smith said:

good point, maybe in the future we wont have enough recources to produce metal bullets and gunpowder, doom needs some new technology

Well, I'm sure they've mined Mars for all the metal it's worth.

Right now we have some space age plastics that are stronger than steel.. so what about plastic bullets?

Hollow point plastic bullets with an attached plastic explosive charge at the end. Caseless, so there's no need for ejection equipment in the artillery. One clip could also hold more bullets this way.

This seems cool to me.