Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

Duke knuck em'

I dont care what anyone says! Duke was a DEFINANT clone and copy, and DooM knock off. The game was ok, and quit funny, but copied off DooM. DOOM IS BETTER!!!!! AND DOOM DID HAVE A CHARACTERS NAME!!! The DooM marines name was Corporal "Flynn Taggart" , in the devision of light drop infantry. And when DooM3 come out, it will fuck all Quake and Duke games!!! I'm an ultimate DooMer, and only like few other games, and for short periods of time! Duke was cool, but, a BIG copy, and I got really pissed when I saw that one level {death row} where you see the DooM marine {Flynn Taggart} And Duke says "Thats one doomed space marine". All Duke is is the DooM engine with Mlook, jump, and crouch!!! -Jeremy

Doom never named the character. Neither did Doom 2, Final Doom, or any of the many ports. The Novels did, much later on. Why is it that inside the game with DeHacked the character is referred to BJ, like he's the character from Wolfenstien?

Doom 3 will 'fuck' all Quake and Duke games??? Well, not with ID's last release in mind. They're going to have to put *much* more effort into this project than they ever put into Q3A. I'm not doubting they can do it, mind you, it just seems like this is almost a last ditched effort to release a good game before they give up and just become an engine company like LithTech. That's where they make most of their money anyways.

All Duke is is the DooM engine with Mlook, jump, and crouch???

What's wrong with you? They're two separate engines that were in fact in development at the same time, Duke being started a few years and released a few years later. Internally the game engines are quite different from each other. Textures are aligned differently along walls. Transparant texturing could be used. Floors could be SLANTED. More than one type of door could be used. Colored lighting. It had rudementary 3 dimensional capabilites, such as one object being over another object including room over room. You could actually go underwater and swim, which Quake tried to do but neglected animations for it. Duke introduced interactivity into the genre, such as blowing a wall open with a well placed rocket. The build engine had a lot more going for it than just Mlook, jump, and crouch junior.

Besides, what the hell are you so pissed for?
Duke was a fun game.
It had excellently designed levels.
And because of it's ingenuity, the bar has been raised for ID to clear so Doom 3 will be just that much better.

What are you worried about? "Flynn Taggart" sounding like Duke Nukem in Doom 3? He'll probably remain voiceless and officially nameless in the new game as well. That's okay, you have your little novels.

No, Duke was NOT in devolopment while DOOM : Knne Deep in the Dead was!!!!! The DOOM1 had the same engine as DOOMII!!! Duke was not in development in 1993! Yeah, in late 94' it was! And I was saying the Duke engine is no better than the DooM engine! Wow, mlook, jump, and crouch! DooM legacy threw that in, big deal! Duke was a cheap rip off trying to make more $$$ than DooM.
Duke was a cool game, but it did copy in lots of areas! But, hmm, why was he refered to as BJ in Dehacked? And why were the Wolfenstein levels in DooMII? Heh, maybe idSoftware thought they could transport him through time...hehe.. j/k
{Now its down to you and me, you one eyed bitch!}

Ahk, this always happens!{ex. DooM64} I try to say a game is good {DooM Nukem}, then people yell at me, so then I start to point out the bad things too, the get burned even more! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!? GOD!!! And "Little Boy!?" Im not a five year old damnit! Im 14! I personally love Duke, and Quake2, those were my favorite games besides DooM. {I love the intro on Q2!, But my new sound card makes it sound all shitty...}

So that's what's wrong with you.

In any case, there's a lot more to build than just mlook, jump, and crouch. Doom Legacy utilizes Quake code in it as well, that's were the 1-foot-off-the-ground jump code came from.

I've seen Doom ports with room over room but not slanted areas. Haven't seen much interactivity between areas: flipping a switch that moves some stuff out of your way then blowing up the cracked wall with a rocket.

Okay okay, so Tsar says 'mad phat' means 'cool with intensity'. All right, I think I got it. Lemme try some more of this confusing talk... umm.. You don't need to 'dis' either game.

I hope that sounded right.

Guest TossMonkey
Jeremy said:

True. I like the ZDooMGL port the best. It has everything!

Umm I am offended when you call quake!! It was the one I play the most!!! hah!! your one of those people who prefered nukem to quake eh?? maybe you should play it online or with some friends over a lan!! So what if the single player blows chunks!!! No-one cared to much about it anyway!!! as for "it tried to do room-over-room" IT Did do room over room!!!!!!!!!!!! the only thing superior about duke was the single player aspect!! who cares about an over grown ugly bleached blond wearing a vest and dyed 80's style jeans??

Doom has far more characrer!!!

You're offended when I call 'Quake'? When I call Quake what? The source code is free now, I only mentioned that some of it has found it's way into Doom Legacy. I also noted that in fact Quake had no swimming animations. I mentioned that Duke had room-over-room inside of a pseudo-3D game engine; Quake was truly 3D, and I know it had room-over-room.

Other than that, I hated the single player aspect of Quake. You saw over 90% of the game in the first level. The multiplayer was truly revolutionary. I did prefer Dukematching to Quake deathmatching, however, just because of the strategy involved with the weaponry.

I in no way insulted Quake. Why the hell is everyone so viciously stuck on one game in this BBS?

All in all how can you say that Doom had more 'characrer'? Your Doom guy never really said anything except grunts and screams. If you mean the actual game in itself, then I might agree with you. Nothing beats a lone marine trapped in hell.

Duke came Goddamn close though, and I get pissed when people start a meaningless thread and start bashing Duke for no reason whatsoever.

Both games were good. Jesus, I feel like I'm talking down a few terrorists here. Relax.

Guest Kaopectate

Well..aparently Jeremy will never get his facts straight...
Also he will never learn how to post properly...jeremy, please don't post about the SAME EXACT THING in like 5 different messages and even in different Forums..it's incredibly annoying...Duke also was more advanced of an engine then doom...and it also added the Jetpack...even though I don't like duke3d..I think your points are unfounded...

Also, you're totally off on the Flynn Taggart thing, that started with the novels..He could be Joe Schmoe for all i care anyway..I'd like to imagine it being myself when I trash an Archvile or a cyberdemon and just think to myself 'Yeah I'm so awesome'. Playing an FPS game in a character is just stoopid because it takes away from the concept of you being immersed in the game environment.

Yeah, "Joe Schmoe"! :)

Maybe you could type your name in somewhere on the opening screen, I will just write my name and Jeremy can finally write "Flynn Tagard" and be happy.